Chemistry, hate it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mamaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I do not like Chemistry. Right now I am in Chem 1 and am barely pulling a B. Depending on how I do on my final will decide if I get a B or a C in this class.

Anything bio related I do great in, so far I have taken Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, and Biology and have made A's in every one of them. I *love* those classes.

I am really nervous next semester for Chem 2 I will get a C....is that going to keep me out of med school or make me look bad? My teacher is horrible, but I do let let that be an excuse. I mean are they going to look at a C and think "this girl is lame"?

My overall GPA is fine, even with a C or two in chem I should have no less than a 3.5 when I apply to medical school.

I am hoping I will enjoy and do better with Organic Chem...since it is different right? In general chem I have done very well with the lewis structors, bond theorys, electronic structures, VSEPR, hybrid orbitals and anything conceptual like that...it's just all the stoichemoerty (sp?) that get's me on the tests.

MamaMD

Members don't see this ad.

mamaMD said:
Ok, I do not like Chemistry. Right now I am in Chem 1 and am barely pulling a B. Depending on how I do on my final will decide if I get a B or a C in this class.

Anything bio related I do great in, so far I have taken Physiology, Microbiology, Anatomy, and Biology and have made A's in every one of them. I *love* those classes.

I am really nervous next semester for Chem 2 I will get a C....is that going to keep me out of med school or make me look bad? My teacher is horrible, but I do let let that be an excuse. I mean are they going to look at a C and think "this girl is lame"?

My overall GPA is fine, even with a C or two in chem I should have no less than a 3.5 when I apply to medical school.

I am hoping I will enjoy and do better with Organic Chem...since it is different right? In general chem I have done very well with the lewis structors, bond theorys, electronic structures, VSEPR, hybrid orbitals and anything conceptual like that...it's just all the stoichemoerty (sp?) that get's me on the tests.

MamaMD

Don't worry about it a C here and there shouldn't hurt you to bad in the long run. We all can't be great at everything. I had a C in one of my chemistry classes and was successful in gaining admission.

Don't worry. Organic is much different than General Chem. A lot of memorization, but little or no stoichiometry (depends on how it is taught). For that matter Chem II was even different. I was not crazy about Chem I, but I really enjoyed Chem II (more applied chemistry such as gas laws and acid/base). As a matter of fact, I wound up majoring in chemistry and minoring in biology because I like to understand biology at the molecular level. You can imagine that biochem was one of my favorite classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got C's in gen chem & A's in ochem because I can't do math. Same thing with physics and bio. Did poorly in physics but well in bio.

Oh well I got in 3 med schools, so it's all good.

Organic is different than general chemistry. Don't sweat the C. I got a C in Organic II and was still accepted to med school. People do get the false impression that to get into med school you can't have anything less than an A and that simply is not true. Granted C's stink, but as long as you don't have a lot of them you will be fine. Good luck with the rest of that class. Shoot for the B, but don't stress if you get the C. Just don't let it be below a C.

Maybe it's the prof and not you. If you have a bad instructor, it is hard to overcome that.

I don't think you have to worry about it. Organic chem should be easier. I hated both g-chem and o-chem...and physics (just thought I'd throw that in). You'll get past it. Just do well in your other classes. Have you taken your MCAT yet? If not, just remember G-chem will sneak back up on you.

Yea I did a lot better in my OChem classes also. For some reason I would hardly study and get in the top 10 highest grades in my classes. Did bad in Bio 1a and Bio 1b though :(

You'll do fine.....

Gen. Chem is more mathematical in the first part and somewhat in the second part. O Chem is more conceptual.

What I wound up doing was reading the book and working the examples and practice problems as I read through the chapter. We had a take home quiz prior to each exam and I used that as a guide as to how well I had the concepts down. Got A's in both Gen. Chem I and II.

O Chem was/is slightly more difficult for me because it's conceptual. I'm the dweeb that wants to know why it works that way, so I killed myself learning the details of SN1/SN2/E1/E2 reactions and all that fun stuff, only to find that I didn't have time to review at a higher level and wound up getting hammered.

One thing in O Chem. DO NOT FALL BEHIND IN YOUR READING.....Life is so much easier when you've read the material and are prepared ahead of time. Read and underline once, read the underlined part a second time and make crib sheets, read the crib sheets again. Make real sure you understand electron density/electronegativity and their effects, bonding, especially sp2 and sp3 and what that implies in terms of angles and get the basic concepts (I'd say first two tests, prior to hitting reaction mechanisms)down and you'll be one up later on when you hit cyclic hydrocarbons.....

Don't sweat it....As one new radiology resident friend of mine told me, "Medical schools isn't about who's the smartest. It's about who can endure the most.".....

God bless you for this thread, maybe if we try harder we can influance the comitees and get it out of schools, no? :smuggrin:

Chemistry is important. I think physics is probably less important though.

I HATED Physics
sterb023.gif
sterb213.gif

Yea physics 2 sucked. I don't see why we need to learn about electromagnetism.

Are you nuts??? How can you treat sick people without knowing the speed and angle at which a diver falls into a swimming pool. I personally think this will be of critical importance to me while treating patients!! LOL :D

Members don't see this ad :)
taylor92107 said:

Are you nuts??? How can you treat sick people without knowing the speed and angle at which a diver falls into a swimming pool. I personally think this will be of critical importance to me while treating patients!! LOL :D

Or the energy of the light hitting their skin when they re on the surgery table.

I was definitely not a fan of physics either! But just keep trucking through chem, because you need to understand the bare bones of G-chem to get through O-chem, and you need some of O-chem to get biochem, and you definitely need to understand biochem for medicine. Keep your eyes on the prize! Good luck :)

taylor92107 said:

Or how fast person A who was standing in a train was going in relation to person B who was walking on the road next to the train when person C who was standing still gets run over with a car D traveling at 90 mph with the tires having 100 rpms and which then ran off a pier and hits a boat with a buouncy factor of 180. :scared: :idea: :smuggrin: :p :eek:

Amy B said:
Or how fast person A who was standing in a train was going in relation to person B who was walking on the road next to the train when person C who was standing still gets run over with a car D traveling at 90 mph with the tires having 100 rpms and which then ran off a pier and hits a boat with a buouncy factor of 180. :scared: :idea: :smuggrin: :p :eek:

Your right, I should have majored in physics. I will never be a good doctor :(

Thanks so much for the encouragement everyone, it makes me feel a ton better about myself.

I guess a C or two wont kill me but it sure sucks. Thankfully all my other grades are good so it makes up for it, hopefully I can still keep my B in this class with this last test...wish me luck. I think it is hard because if I do get a C in this class it will be my first C on my transcript :(

Sometimes on these boards I feel like *everyone* makes straight A's and nothing less.

MamaMD

No I have a few C's on my transcript, they really hurt ur gpa but u can overcome them by doing better in the future.

I hates chemistry...it felt a whole lot more like measuring and weighing equations than dealing with chemicals.

Now organic.....whole 'nother story....LOVED IT. I thought it was great and fun.

Robz said:
I hates chemistry...it felt a whole lot more like measuring and weighing equations than dealing with chemicals.

Now organic.....whole 'nother story....LOVED IT. I thought it was great and fun.

Yea I like Organic also. I think most people liked one or the other.

NRAI2001 said:
Yea I like Organic also. I think most people liked one or the other.

I liked O-chem, even though I complained the whole way through it. It's a lot of hard work, but to me it was much more enjoyable than general chemistry.

Keep chugging away mamaMD! Try your hardest, give it your all, you'll get through it! :)

Yep keep working hard

taylor92107 said:

Gonna play Devil's advocate here a little bit. I understand that physics is not a necessity for treating patients, but as you are posting on the DO forum I would think that you are going to/do study OMM. Seems to me that physics plays an important role in that.

Don't get to discouraged about Chem 1. I was very scared of taking chemistry when I went back to school because I did not take it in high school, or had any kind of physical sciences since the 9th grade....10 years prior! At first, it was all martian language to me, then it just clicked, and I rocked in that class. Now, chem 2 is a little different, a much tougher instructor, but I'm learning a great deal. Now, here's the killer, I was a bio major, but have enjoyed chemistry so much, that I'm gonna change my major to chemistry.

Oh, and to those that hate physics, yep, i hate it too. I'm making a darn good grade in there, but I don't care about Tom and Jerry jumping off a dinner table! :confused: :confused: Anyways, take care and good luck with the Chem's, you'll make it! :clap:

Krazed_Medic said:
Don't get to discouraged about Chem 1. I was very scared of taking chemistry when I went back to school because I did not take it in high school, or had any kind of physical sciences since the 9th grade....10 years prior! At first, it was all martian language to me, then it just clicked, and I rocked in that class. Now, chem 2 is a little different, a much tougher instructor, but I'm learning a great deal. Now, here's the killer, I was a bio major, but have enjoyed chemistry so much, that I'm gonna change my major to chemistry.

Oh, and to those that hate physics, yep, i hate it too. I'm making a darn good grade in there, but I don't care about Tom and Jerry jumping off a dinner table! :confused: :confused: Anyways, take care and good luck with the Chem's, you'll make it! :clap:

Tom and Jerry?

yeah, Tom and Jerry, the cat and mouse cartoon. My physics instructor loved to use them as an example of falling objects. He has no life obviously. lol

Lol, yea Jerry was quite the physicist. :laugh:

Try you best and if you get a C, dont be too hard on yourself. Many people have gotton a C's and have still gotton into med school. Its not the end of the world. But don't forget...like luckystar said, some of it will come back in the future !

I have to agree, Chem 1 blows. :thumbdown: Especially, when your teacher blows as well. :sleep: Everyone I have talked to says it gets better in OChem, so hang in there. Hopefully, my Ochem teacher will be better than what I have now. I feel like I am teaching myself half the time.

mamaMD said:

MamaMD

I know how you feel. I struggled through gen chem 1 and 2, took them both twice and finally got a C-. Now I'm in organic and it makes so much more sense to me, it's weird. I'm doing much better in it.

I definately agree...Organic Chemistry is much different than general chemistry. I have tutored both...and many who struggled with gen chem had no problem with orgo...don't worry, I am sure you will be okay. :)