Chemistry help please!

Started by npharm21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

npharm21

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I am a little confused regarding this reaction:

CH3-CH2-COOH + CH3-NH2 ---> ??????

and the answer is CH3-CH2-COONH-CH3 + H2O

My question though is how is it that it forms an ester and water wouldnt it be :

CH3-CH2-CO-NHCH3 (<-- that) product instead? I mean I think it would also depend on the reagent used but I am confused...any help would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
 
Hello I am a little confused regarding this reaction:

CH3-CH2-COOH + CH3-NH2 ---> ??????

and the answer is CH3-CH2-COONH-CH3 + H2O

My question though is how is it that it forms an ester and water wouldnt it be :

CH3-CH2-CO-NHCH3 (<-- that) product instead? I mean I think it would also depend on the reagent used but I am confused...any help would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

I think you're right. the product should be the one with an amide bond. (-CO-NH-CH3)
 
Hello I am a little confused regarding this reaction:

CH3-CH2-COOH + CH3-NH2 ---> ??????

and the answer is CH3-CH2-COONH-CH3 + H2O

My question though is how is it that it forms an ester and water wouldnt it be :

CH3-CH2-CO-NHCH3 (<-- that) product instead? I mean I think it would also depend on the reagent used but I am confused...any help would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

While you generally form carboxylic acid derivatives in that manner, this reaction doesn't usually work when reacting a carboxylic acid with an amine.

http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Ch19/ch19-3-1-4.html

There are a few errors in the Dr. Collins material of which this is one.