chemistry I and II concurrently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

froglegs16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted before but not for a long time, so here goes.

I'm a medical/science writer with a BA + MFA minus thesis taking classes in the spring 2011 semester for premed. Has anyone ever taken General Chem I and II concurrently? What was your experience? I will not be working at all--just focusing on school--and have audited these courses in the past (why I didn't take them for credit is beyond me).

So:
Chem I
Chem II
Bio I
Bio II

I took AP bio in high school (eight years ago) and got a 4 or 5 on the exam. Have taken Anatomy and Physiology since then, so I figure Bio I and II concurrently is not such a big deal compared with chem. Words of wisdom or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally not the best idea. For the quickest PBs, the general layout is:

Summer: Chem 1
Fall: Chem 2/Bio 1/Physics 1
Spring: Ochem 1/Bio 2/Physics 2
Summer: Ochem 2
Aug MCAT

If you feel you're able to do more than that and want a wider range of schools to apply to/better MCAT prep, try:

Summer: Chem 1/Bio 1
Fall: Chem 2/Bio 2/Physics 1/OChem 1
Spring: Ochem 2/Cell Bio/Physics 2/Human Physiology
May MCAT (if ready)
Summer: Genetics/Biochem
Aug MCAT (if needed)

For the best results, though, don't try and shove this all into 12-15 mos. You probably won't end up getting in on the first try anyway if you go that route.

Hi Apumic,

For the best results, though, don't try and shove this all into 12-15 mos. You probably won't end up getting in on the first try anyway if you go that route.

Are you saying you probably won't end up getting in this route because of the likelihood of lower grades or is there more to the reasoning such as less time for EC's, volunteering, etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
^Lower grades, little/no time volunteering/researching/clinical (remember that one is generally expected to have a good year or so of each of these things), insufficient time for MCAT prep (i.e., MCAT prep is basically a full-time job for 3-4 mos at about 4-6 hrs/day 5-7 days/wk), inability to take the MCAT on-time (i.e., not taking it several mos before the summer you apply in) and resulting inability to apply on-time (i.e., cannot be verified until ~30 days after you take the MCAT).

Basically, as a non-trad you probably have little room for error as-is. It's probably best, therefore, to plan accordingly.

If you already know a good chunk of the material and you're a good student, go for it! Just be ready to cut back if you feel like you're getting in over your head. Delaying one year is a lot better than delaying three because you have to repair your GPA.

Also, as apumic noted you need to have some good ECs too, so if you don't have those already make sure you work them into your plan.

Also, as apumic noted you need to have some good ECs too, so if you don't have those already make sure you work them into your plan.

So what are ECs, anyway? I thought that the 15 spaces on AMCAS was for jobs and other activities. Are jobs not OK to put on there? I was never a club president or anything like that.

Here is what I'm thinking of putting (feedback welcome if I should add or subtract or if I should go do more volunteering. I have done some habitat for humanity projects and also am a "buddy" to a woman with MR...mostly in the past we've gone to the mall)

-currently freelance medical/science writer, have been since 2005
-1.5 years in psychometrics lab doing research as an undergrad (only undergrad in graduate lab, dealt with IRB, developed ideas for future studies, ran subjects, etc)
-technical writer for college of public health as an undergrad (under a year. they couldn't fund my position unless I remained a student)
-21 years competitive horseback rider, funded my own competition by training other students/managing barns/etc
-2 books, one on history of medicine and one a biography of a historical figure (unless I put this in publications? Is there a space for publications? not in print yet but I did help someone with a third book that is currently in print although it's a goofy coffee table type book, nothing serious)
-presenter in history of medicine conferences (2 next year, publications to follow in journals)
-presenter in ethnography conference (2005)
-6 years, real estate developer (have current license, did commercial and residential, worked full time in real estate and have worked as a project manager)
-make ceramics (in many juried shows, currently in artist guild)
-NREMT-B, worked in 2 ERs (level 2 trauma and level 1 trauma centers, both full-time)
-6 years on national literary magazine (editorial assistant/copyeditor during college)
-assisted a professor on a book project (anthology of literary magazine)
-FastTrack tech in busy level 2 trauma center (worked one-on-one with a PA seeing patients, mostly ortho, 6 months full time, also ekg tech, phlebotomist, etc etc)
-1 year quiz bowl team in college (division II team)
-web developer (side business, sometimes do development work for clients I'm already working with for technical or medical writing), 4 years

Last edited:
So what are ECs, anyway? I thought that the 15 spaces on AMCAS was for jobs and other activities. Are jobs not OK to put on there? I was never a club president or anything like that.

Here is what I'm thinking of putting (feedback welcome if I should add or subtract or if I should go do more volunteering. I have done some habitat for humanity projects and also am a "buddy" to a woman with MR...mostly in the past we've gone to the mall)

-currently freelance medical/science writer, have been since 2005
-1.5 years in psychometrics lab doing research as an undergrad (only undergrad in graduate lab, dealt with IRB, developed ideas for future studies, ran subjects, etc)
-technical writer for college of public health as an undergrad (under a year. they couldn't fund my position unless I remained a student)
-21 years competitive horseback rider, funded my own competition by training other students/managing barns/etc
-2 books, one on history of medicine and one a biography of a historical figure (unless I put this in publications? Is there a space for publications? not in print yet but I did help someone with a third book that is currently in print although it's a goofy coffee table type book, nothing serious)
-presenter in history of medicine conferences (2 next year, publications to follow in journals)
-presenter in ethnography conference (2005)
-6 years, real estate developer (have current license, did commercial and residential, worked full time in real estate and have worked as a project manager)
-make ceramics (in many juried shows, currently in artist guild)
-NREMT-B, worked in 2 ERs (level 2 trauma and level 1 trauma centers, both full-time)
-6 years on national literary magazine (editorial assistant/copyeditor during college)
-assisted a professor on a book project (anthology of literary magazine)
-FastTrack tech in busy level 2 trauma center (worked one-on-one with a PA seeing patients, mostly ortho, 6 months full time, also ekg tech, phlebotomist, etc etc)
-1 year quiz bowl team in college (division II team)
-web developer (side business, sometimes do development work for clients I'm already working with for technical or medical writing), 4 years

Those look good, however, I see one glaring hole. At first glance, I don't see any altruistic activities. My interviews came precisely because of these activities and the deans made a point of saying to all the interviewees, "If you didn't have volunteer experience, you would not be here."

I agree with Longshanks. You have an impressive list, but having something volunteer oriented is very important. You have plenty of hospital experience so it probably doesn't need to be health-care related. You have a wide range of interesting experiences and skills, maybe you can use one of those to give back to a group in your community over the next few years?

I agree with Longshanks. You have an impressive list, but having something volunteer oriented is very important. You have plenty of hospital experience so it probably doesn't need to be health-care related. You have a wide range of interesting experiences and skills, maybe you can use one of those to give back to a group in your community over the next few years?

I volunteered for a teddy bear clinic and could include that? I also volunteered with the League of Women Voters on a charter school study for my state and am a deputy registrar. Or I could do another habitat project? I intend on applying quickly so I don't have a lot of time to devote to a long-term arrangement unless I end up in medical school close to my current location.

I volunteered for a teddy bear clinic and could include that? I also volunteered with the League of Women Voters on a charter school study for my state and am a deputy registrar. Or I could do another habitat project? I intend on applying quickly so I don't have a lot of time to devote to a long-term arrangement unless I end up in medical school close to my current location.

Absolutely include these. You may have more volunteer activities of this sort than you realize - you just never thought of them as something for your resume. Spend several days with a notepad in your pocket and write down some volunteer activity you did in your past every time that you think of one.

Voter work is definitely important, so include it. My presidential elector and city council spots got attention. Teddy bear clinic is good. Long term commitments are even better. I've worked with the homeless in one form or another my entire adult life (sometimes as a member, myself) . I lumped all of those experiences into 1 long section in order to show continuity.