Chemistry or Bio for prepharm major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calibration1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more useful as a decalred major for pre-pharm?

Chemistry or Biology? Im starting in the fall and have chosen Chemistry Major so far because PharmD requires so much of it, but I am really interested in Clinical pharmacy and wonder if Biology would be a better major.

Any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter if all your doing is the pre-reqs, and not getting a bs. All that matters is that you finish the pre-reqs. You could do english if you wanted, as long as you did the pre-reqs.

Biology. There isn't as much chemistry (especially general and organic) in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both will help you out in some way, so I would suggest choosing whichever one you're more interested in persuing. As patmcd said, as long as you successfully complete your pre-reqs, you'll be set :thumbup:

I declared a major that furthered my Plan B (so to speak). If it ever became painfully obvious that I was not getting into pharm school, I was planning to do something with biology (microbiology, genetic counseling, or epidemiology) so I declared biology. Since I was taking so many chemistry classes as pre-reqs, I also plan-B'ed a dual degree in chemistry (figured it would help with grad school).

I was a chemistry major my first year doing prereqs, changed it to Microbiology as a backkup plan after Ochem. Like everyone said, focus on your prereqs and choose the major you like just in case. Don't worry about it if you feel that you want to change majors. Many people change to many different majors throughout their entire college career.

Are you certain you want to be a pharmacist? Biology is a pretty useless degree if you dont get in to or don't want to go to professional school. I vote for whatever you want as long as you get the prereqs done. If I had it to do all over again, I probably would have chosen Anthropology or Voice Performance. Then I would have at least enjoyed my BS years.

I've decided that after i finish my prerequisites for pharmacy, i'm going to pursue a BS in Nursing while i wait to get in.