Sep 7, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone I am taking General Chemistry 2 (chem 102), and I want to get in a lot of practice before my first test. My teacher doesn't lecture (literally. she just makes us get into groups and do things relating to the chapter we're on) so I rely on myself reading the chapter and learning the material on my own (big switch from last semester). This material is kind of tough for me. Chem isn't my strongest subject but I really want to good like last semester. Any suggestions? I always do a bunch of practice problems from my book, my homework, and online. Does anyone have any suggestions on practice books to buy that would help me with this chem class? I'm willing to try anything honestly because it's extremely tough learning chem on your own.

So yea if you have any suggestions, either for what practice books to try or advice for the class please let me know!

Thanks!!

P.S, the topics that will be on the test are liquids/solutions, chem kinetics, chem equilibrium, and acid/base equilibria. Also, I have been using khan academy and have tried Schaum's chemistry.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hi everyone I am taking General Chemistry 2 (chem 102), and I want to get in a lot of practice before my first test. My teacher doesn't lecture (literally. she just makes us get into groups and do things relating to the chapter we're on) so I rely on myself reading the chapter and learning the material on my own (big switch from last semester). This material is kind of tough for me. Chem isn't my strongest subject but I really want to good like last semester. Any suggestions? I always do a bunch of practice problems from my book, my homework, and online. Does anyone have any suggestions on practice books to buy that would help me with this chem class? I'm willing to try anything honestly because it's extremely tough learning chem on your own.

So yea if you have any suggestions, either for what practice books to try or advice for the class please let me know!

Thanks!!

P.S, the topics that will be on the test are liquids/solutions, chem kinetics, chem equilibrium, and acid/base equilibria. Also, I have been using khan academy and have tried Schaum's chemistry.

If you do all the problems in the book you'll be fine.

moco89

7+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you can do ALL of the book problems, you are probably ok.

But if you really want more practice with solutions-Try googling stuff like (copy and paste the individual lines in to google):

"chemistry" AND "liquids" AND "solutions" AND "worksheet" site:*.edu
"chem" AND "liquids" AND "solutions" AND "worksheet" site:*.edu

"chem" AND "chemical equilibrium" AND "solutions" AND "worksheet" site:*.edu

"chem" AND "chemical kinetics" AND "solutions" AND "worksheet" site:*.edu

"chem" AND "acid" and "base" and "equilibria" AND "solutions" AND "worksheet" site:*.edu

PS: In my searches, the websites that came up the most were with urls with the extensions

alpha.chem.umb.edu/chemistry/

and

csus-dspace.calstate.edu/.

Removed
Jan 20, 2013
Cheshire Bridge, ATL
Status
Your teacher has you do groupwork in gen chem class? What in the actual ****?

Do what MedPR says, practice problems from your book. If that's not enough, pick up an MCAT gen chem review book for more problems. You can use it again in a year or two for MCAT review.

I learned gen chem, physics, and orgo just by doing lots of problems. Then checking what I messed up on. Fix the mistakes. Then do more problems.

chem groupwork :uhno: lol your teacher is just a lazyass

Erakis

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Work problems and when you get stuck, go for the Khan academy silver bullet if you get stuck on a concept. www.khanacademy.org

I also got into the practice of writing equations from memory when I started a study session before I did anything else. It will help come MCAT time as well.

Drogo

hakuna matata
Jul 13, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
here is some more vids for you to check out free-lanceteacher

I would go through the book and rewrite the example problems and do the conceptual problems to. They both went hand in hand as far as me doing really well on exams. Obviously I did many practice problems alongside the online homework.