1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Chemistry

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Ben26TPA, May 15, 2007.

1. Ben26TPA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    OK...sorry guys but have another problem that I've encountered.

I was registering for Gen Chem I at my university and was told that I needed a certain matn pre-req for it, but told them that I would do it during summer session 2 at the CC that I am currently attending. My advisor told me that I need Chem I in the fall because it isn't offered in the spring because of Chem II. (it's a small private university) Well I tried registering for the math requirement but since I am in the math that is a pre-req for that other math course I am not able to do it and I don't want to be a year behind because of the chem requirement.

So here is my question, I have registered for Chem I at my local CC for this fall and then will be taking Chem II in the spring at the university. I know some people say that taking the core science classes needed for med school at a CC is bad but do you guys think that it will be okay to do it that way? Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, since I'm not an adcom member, I can't really say one way or another. However, it appears to me that you have a good reason for taking the class at a CC, so I think it shouldn't be a problem as long as the schools in which you are applying to will accept prerequisites from a CC. As far as I know, that is most medical schools. However, if you are concerned, check with the medical schools in which intend to apply; they are the final voice on the issue. Again, I personally think it'll probably be okay, but realize that I'm not any kind of authority in admissions. Perhaps you will want to contact someone who is and ask them.

Good luck. :luck:

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think taking some prereqs at a CC is okay, IF:
    1. you'll be taking hard science at a "hard" school later
    2. the CC is strong, and you'll get good subject coverage (and be ready for chem on the MCAT)
    3. your "hard" school accepts these CC chem classes as prep for o-chem
    4. you're truly ready for these chem classes without the math prereq

Spend some quality time with your "hard" school's catalog and make sure you're not missing any more details like this. Gotta stay on top of this stuff.

Best of luck to you.

5. Ben26TPA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke to the admission office at the university and they said as long as I have completed Gen Chem I that I would be able to take Gen Chem II at the university if I have a grade of C or better. I will be taking precalc at my university to fulfill the math requirements for the Chem classes. As far as my "hard" science classes go, Chem I will be the only class that I take at a CC and everything else will be completed at the university. Thanks again!