chemsitry question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
destroyer number 54: SO2 has sp2 hybridization at the sulfur and i think it should be false but they said true...and there explanation is that there is
a S double bond O and a single bond to the other O therefore leaving a lone pair on the S and a Positive charge on the S as well with a Negative sign on the O. but why couldnt u just have S with 2 double bond O and no charges and making it sp?

number 33 it says All spontaneous rxns result in an increase in entropy, not enthalpy of the Universe.....but u can have NEGATIVE ENTROPY AND NEGATIVE ENTHALY and it would still be spontaneous if at low temp....soo what am i missing

Members don't see this ad.

if you do it the way you suggest with double bonds to both O's, you get 10e- on Sulfur. The other molecule is more stable because it follows octet rule and the negative charge is on the electronegative atom. Thus, sp2

As for the other question, that is a very good question lol. i don't know the answer to that. hopefully someone will answer by the time i wake up. good luck =)