1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

chemsitry question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by arpitpatel86, May 29, 2008.

1. arpitpatel86

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    destroyer number 54: SO2 has sp2 hybridization at the sulfur and i think it should be false but they said true...and there explanation is that there is
    a S double bond O and a single bond to the other O therefore leaving a lone pair on the S and a Positive charge on the S as well with a Negative sign on the O. but why couldnt u just have S with 2 double bond O and no charges and making it sp?

number 33 it says All spontaneous rxns result in an increase in entropy, not enthalpy of the Universe.....but u can have NEGATIVE ENTROPY AND NEGATIVE ENTHALY and it would still be spontaneous if at low temp....soo what am i missing

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if you do it the way you suggest with double bonds to both O's, you get 10e- on Sulfur. The other molecule is more stable because it follows octet rule and the negative charge is on the electronegative atom. Thus, sp2

As for the other question, that is a very good question lol. i don't know the answer to that. hopefully someone will answer by the time i wake up. good luck =)