chicago area schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keywhite

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody read this in medical school in chicago? ??

Members don't see this ad.

I am a M2 at University of Illinois at Chicago, and if it matters any, my wife reads this as well and she attends Loyola

Originally posted by pre-doc:
•I am a M2 at University of Illinois at Chicago, and if it matters any, my wife reads this as well and she attends Loyola•••

pre-doc, i'm curious to know your impressions of UIC so far. would you recommend it to others? are you happy there? also, how does your wife feel about loyola?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, i have been quite happy with my experience here. Our learning system is entirely lecture based and to be quite honest, it doesn't work that well for me. however, we do have a note taking service which ensures that i don't miss a thing. This is not to say that i am a slacker, quite the contrary - i am a self-proclaimed "gunner". The class does seem to be pretty tightly-knit. For the most part, we enjoy one another. One thing that is worth noting is that during the second year, you spend approximately two-three months in the hospital working on patient interviews and the physical exam. that is quite nice. we are in a testing period right now, but when we get back, i go to the hospital. kind of sweet. However, there are some downsides - our testing service is bizarre and it takes a long time to get our grades back. By bizarre i mean that the structure of the classes seems to change every year - i.e. one year, classes only had one exam, the next year it is different, etc. We are on the basic fail, pass, honor system. I hope this provides some insight.

I'm sorry, i forgot to add my wife's experience. Initially, when we were deciding between medical schools, we wanted to go to the same one. however, i think it has worked out for the best with her going to loyola and my attending UIC. She definitely fits in better there i think - and that is a compliment. There school is more student-based learning; they have small group discussions, etc. It is almost required that you go to lecture there, hardly anyone misses class (as opposed to UIC). Furthermore, their facility is almost brand new - quite nice in fact. They also have what i call a block schedule. for example, during her first year, she did gross anatomy for ten weeks (that was the only class she took at the time). there are obvious pros and cons to this system. Right now, she is also an M2 and half way through the year, however, they are about 90% done with pharmacology. One HUGE plus (and i get to be a freeloader with this one because i am married to her) is their athletic center. AMAZING!!! believe me, when working out at times is the only way to relax a bit, this comes in big time. one con on the whole however is that there is no public transportation to her school. THerefore, we live in Oak Park so she can drive and i can take the el. If you have anymore questions, just let me know!