Chicago Medical School at RFUMS C/O 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you all are waiting for someone else to start the thread...here it goes, even though I'm graduating this year. Good luck kiddies...and make the best of it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, Dr W. We're evidently a shy bunch.

Where's everyone from? I grew up in downtown Chicago, so I'm a devout city kid. I'm gonna move up there anyway for the 1st 2 years. (For the record, I don't do the burbs, but North Chicago is NOT that bad. It's pretty peaceful. Don't hate.)

Hey,

I'm also graduating this year, but if there are questions, I'll try to help!
Any future PM&R docs? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
As a member of the CMS class of 2010 - Welcome! :)
First year is almost over for us - half way through third term - midterms are next week! Which reminds me, I should be studying! Just wanted to say CONGRATS to all - see you in August! :love:

haha... you know all the applicants are waiting to hear from other schools first.

future M1's... my first year has been fun/tough so far and I like the school a lot. good luck.

Hi everyone!

I'm likely going to end up attending RFUMS, but I AM indeed waiting to hear from two other schools (UNC and Loyola). I really don't want to move (I live in NC) but I will move in a heart beat (of course) for med school :) On the bright side, it would be fun to move back to Chicago--I lived there for 4 years. On the down side, I lived in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville, not North Chitown. . .

So, how do you all like it at RFUMS? Good professors? Good vibes? Good students and cameraderie? Good opportunities for ECs and research? I thought everyone on my interview day was so friendly, and I got a pretty good feeling about the school, but I also get the feeling that RFU isn't a top choice school for a lot of people. Why is this? Is it the fact that there is no associated hospital? And really, why is that such a big deal? Seriously, I'm really asking. I really want to hear opinions as to why it might be considered to be not such a great thing. Also, what is the deal with the probation thing? Didn't that just have to do with financing and funding and scholarships/grants? I really want to know all of this. I kind of don't like feeling as though I will be attending a school that no one is really DYING to go to, but rather just attend as a result of lack of other acceptances. . .this is really not meant to be harsh or rude in any way--like I said before, I will likely be going there myself :oops: I just want to open up the discussion. Frankly, I want to be proud of the school that I end up attending. Perhaps if we drum up a little more support for RFU, it could lose it's less-that-stellar-rep :)

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am super excited about MEDICAL SCHOOL regardless of where I end up going. I basically just want to go. Shoot, sometimes I just have to pinch myself, I mean, we're gonna be doctors!!!! So congrats to everyone that has been accepted :thumbup:

Hi everyone!

I'm likely going to end up attending RFUMS, but I AM indeed waiting to hear from two other schools (UNC and Loyola). I really don't want to move (I live in NC) but I will move in a heart beat (of course) for med school :) On the bright side, it would be fun to move back to Chicago--I lived there for 4 years. On the down side, I lived in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville, not North Chitown. . .

So, how do you all like it at RFUMS? Good professors? Good vibes? Good students and cameraderie? Good opportunities for ECs and research? I thought everyone on my interview day was so friendly, and I got a pretty good feeling about the school, but I also get the feeling that RFU isn't a top choice school for a lot of people. Why is this? Is it the fact that there is no associated hospital? And really, why is that such a big deal? Seriously, I'm really asking. I really want to hear opinions as to why it might be considered to be not such a great thing. Also, what is the deal with the probation thing? Didn't that just have to do with financing and funding and scholarships/grants? I really want to know all of this. I kind of don't like feeling as though I will be attending a school that no one is really DYING to go to, but rather just attend as a result of lack of other acceptances. . .this is really not meant to be harsh or rude in any way--like I said before, I will likely be going there myself :oops: I just want to open up the discussion. Frankly, I want to be proud of the school that I end up attending. Perhaps if we drum up a little more support for RFU, it could lose it's less-that-stellar-rep :)

Anyway, the bottom line is that I am super excited about MEDICAL SCHOOL regardless of where I end up going. I basically just want to go. Shoot, sometimes I just have to pinch myself, I mean, we're gonna be doctors!!!! So congrats to everyone that has been accepted :thumbup:

yeah these are totally valid questions. but to be truthful the "concerning" issues are almost entirely premed hype.

hospital issue: yes we don't have our own teaching hospital. we do have a VA immediately adjacent, which we share some of our faculty with and is one of the many sites at which 2nd year students do preceptorships. the idea within the administration is to have the "advocate system" (which is Advocate Christ Memorial Hospital, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, and Advocate Illinois Masonic Hospital,,, did I miss any?) be sort of our home program(s) so to speak. the university is making strong ties to these teaching hospitals by appointing joint faculty positions and integrating our M3/M4 rotations as much as possible in the advocate system as I understand it. we rotate through those hospitals as well as cook county, mt. sinai, swedish covenant, and some other clinical sites. that said, our students match plenty into chicago residency programs (because we rotate through similar to how a school typically matches a lot of students into its home programs) as well as nationwide. does it give a less "medical/hospitalish" environment? well, a little bit, but medical students are invited to the Medicine grand rounds every week, imo we do have continual clinical exposure even in M1/2, and there are always residents and upperclassmen around at lunchtime and on campus around shelf exams and stuff, if that's what youre wondering....but its more fun to rotate and be downtown during clinical years anyway.

probation: a blip on the radar, now pretty much only mentioned as a marker for how well the school is prospering these days. basically several years ago they did an administration overhaul and financial system overhaul and now we've got some great administrators (our CMS Dean and Student Affairs Dean and President are all those people who really inspire you and are very strong leaders) who are all very reasonable and as solid as you could ever hope. thats my opinion, but also the opinion of many others however. so what does the probation issue mean? it just means that everyone's going out of their way to disprove any black mark that people perceive on the school, which is a positive direction to head. the school gets better every year IMO.

ECs: yeah theres lots to do. Student Interest Groups for i think every specialty, student run clinics, student committees & councils, student government positions, national positions, AMA, AMSA, activist groups, research opportunities (both several formal programs for MD students to do substantive research and of course informal), clinical exposure, student activities, cultural shows, talent show, awards ceremonies, student advising groups, review sessions, intramural sports, seminars, conferences, social events.....more ways to get involved than you could ever fit in your schedule if you ask me.

reputation: with the demise of the AP program which received some criticism, i would expect the admissions numbers to increase this year. i think we're looking at avg class numbers of 10+ for each section and higher GPA. because while the AP program was effective in filtering out people who cant hack it in med school and identifying people with perhaps some fluke reason didnt get in or matriculate outright who make great med students, it also let in people with lower numbers, assuming they proved themselves in the curriculum. the moral is that the discontinuation of this program (or the rules associated with it) will probably be associated with better numbers reflecting overall higher admissions standards and loss of some of the stigma associated with it. i think the class will be better united as well because most everyone will be on the same curricular track.

if anyone wants any links to any info on anything pm me. honestly if you want to be happy here you really will be. lots of students are, and lots get involved in a lot of things to reflect that.

i think you have the right attitude. the most successful and happy people here are proud and happy to be here doing what they love.

yeah these are totally valid questions. but to be truthful the "concerning" issues are almost entirely premed hype.

hospital issue: yes we don't have our own teaching hospital. we do have a VA immediately adjacent, which we share some of our faculty with and is one of the many sites at which 2nd year students do preceptorships. the idea within the administration is to have the "advocate system" (which is Advocate Christ Memorial Hospital, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, and Advocate Illinois Masonic Hospital,,, did I miss any?) be sort of our home program(s) so to speak. the university is making strong ties to these teaching hospitals by appointing joint faculty positions and integrating our M3/M4 rotations as much as possible in the advocate system as I understand it. we rotate through those hospitals as well as cook county, mt. sinai, swedish covenant, and some other clinical sites. that said, our students match plenty into chicago residency programs (because we rotate through similar to how a school typically matches a lot of students into its home programs) as well as nationwide. does it give a less "medical/hospitalish" environment? well, a little bit, but medical students are invited to the Medicine grand rounds every week, imo we do have continual clinical exposure even in M1/2, and there are always residents and upperclassmen around at lunchtime and on campus around shelf exams and stuff, if that's what youre wondering....but its more fun to rotate and be downtown during clinical years anyway.

probation: a blip on the radar, now pretty much only mentioned as a marker for how well the school is prospering these days. basically several years ago they did an administration overhaul and financial system overhaul and now we've got some great administrators (our CMS Dean and Student Affairs Dean and President are all those people who really inspire you and are very strong leaders) who are all very reasonable and as solid as you could ever hope. thats my opinion, but also the opinion of many others however. so what does the probation issue mean? it just means that everyone's going out of their way to disprove any black mark that people perceive on the school, which is a positive direction to head. the school gets better every year IMO.

ECs: yeah theres lots to do. Student Interest Groups for i think every specialty, student run clinics, student committees & councils, student government positions, national positions, AMA, AMSA, activist groups, research opportunities (both several formal programs for MD students to do substantive research and of course informal), clinical exposure, student activities, cultural shows, talent show, awards ceremonies, student advising groups, review sessions, intramural sports, seminars, conferences, social events.....more ways to get involved than you could ever fit in your schedule if you ask me.

reputation: with the demise of the AP program which received some criticism, i would expect the admissions numbers to increase this year. i think we're looking at avg class numbers of 10+ for each section and higher GPA. because while the AP program was effective in filtering out people who cant hack it in med school and identifying people with perhaps some fluke reason didnt get in or matriculate outright who make great med students, it also let in people with lower numbers, assuming they proved themselves in the curriculum. the moral is that the discontinuation of this program (or the rules associated with it) will probably be associated with better numbers reflecting overall higher admissions standards and loss of some of the stigma associated with it. i think the class will be better united as well because most everyone will be on the same curricular track.

if anyone wants any links to any info on anything pm me. honestly if you want to be happy here you really will be. lots of students are, and lots get involved in a lot of things to reflect that.

i think you have the right attitude. the most successful and happy people here are proud and happy to be here doing what they love.

Great post. :thumbup: I've enjoyed my time at CMS (only have 2 weeks left). I've been part of the family for 5 years as I was a former AP student myself. I've seen CMS improve year after year, and am proud to be associated with it.

I'll be honest that I'm sad to see the AP program go. It really gave people the opportunity to prove themselves where others didn't. It's true that some barely slipped by, but there were others that really went out of their way to prove how successful they could be. I'm not sure how the new program that replaced it will factor in, though.

Our ties with the Advocate system continue to get stronger, and will so with time. The shift to move our base of operations out of Mt. Sinai to Lutheran is alive and well. The experiences you get at all our affiliated sites are awesome, and have prepared us well.

A lot of what you hear is just BS repeated by pre-meds that are only concerned with the name of where they will end up. All the negatives I've heard this year, are the same ones when I applied 5 years ago. It never ends. But I think our school is finally headed in a positive direction and will continue to do so.

moniker & dr. will are right on. all the "reputation" stuff is just pre-med sdn garbage. there are plenty of people here who were accepted to other schools. i'm only a first year, but i hear that rfu students are well-respected on the wards 3rd year. and residency pd's certainly don't seem to agree with the pre-allo crap on sdn, because it's meaningless!
things i really like about this school:

-anatomy lab is the best i've seen (from the interview trail) or heard of (from friends at other schools)
-histo lab is all virtual (no microscopes!!)
-diverse class. lots of non-trads, but plenty of young ones fresh out of undergrad too. you'll find your niche here.
-co-sequencing of basic sciences. current m4s are the last ones to NOT have this benefit. what does it mean? you're learning about, say, cardio in ALL classes at the same time. same goes for respiratory, renal, everything. a few years ago, you could be learning about the brain in one class, the leg in another, and the pancreas in another, all at the same time. the co-sequencing is a major positive for the school, and i think it should be touted more. i know people at other schools who are envious of this.

as far as the AP program, the BMS program might end up being almost the same deal. i already know a bunch of bms-ers who will be m1s next year. it will be interesting to see how many of them made it, & how that compares to the former AP students. and yes, some of them might have a point or 2 lower on the mcat, or a slightly lower gpa. but, they had to do BETTER than med students to get accepted to med school. they have more than proven themselves. i have a ton of respect for what they did to get in. i can't imagine how hard they must've worked & what kind of pressure they were under. i couldn't care less that their mcat scores make our average 29 instead of 30.

i recently went to an alumni dinner with some docs who graduated 15-20 years ago. they were doing wonderful things in the community, and they were so happy to have graduated from cms. i really admired them. things they complained about were malpractice rates, city budget cuts, etc. none of them said, "man, i wish i had gone to a med school that pre-meds on sdn didn't bash!"

This is all great to hear. Thanks to all of you who posted thorough responses. There is nothing to boost the desirability of a school like the happiness of its students, and given that I have only heard positive things said about RFUMS, it just makes me more and more excited to go there.

Where is everyone else, though? C'mon, we gotta get this thing going! I want to hear how excited everyone else is, and also, when we should be expecting our fin aid packages. I also want to know where people are coming from and where they are going to be living. :)

Ciao for now :cool:

yeah i'd like to know about the financial aid stuff. so how does it work? we submit the application and they might offer you a scholarship or loan? what does RFU typically offer? is it based on need or grades/mcat?

btw, I'm 21, Male, from lake zurich, il, and went to university of illinois - urbana champaign.

and im living in the dorms.

whoa... i didnt know this thread existed...

ill be a part of the class and am very excited about it!!!

ive been wondering about fin aid myself...

ive tried calling, emailing, even left a voice msg on their system...

nothing...

for me, that has been the only downside about the school (that and maybe the location?)...

i am not a member of class 2011... hopefully, i will be in the next coming months. cant wait to go insane on this thread once i get in (crossing fingers)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i'd like to know about the financial aid stuff. so how does it work? we submit the application and they might offer you a scholarship or loan? what does RFU typically offer? is it based on need or grades/mcat?

btw, I'm 21, Male, from lake zurich, il, and went to university of illinois - urbana champaign.

and im living in the dorms.

I think they offer a few merit scholarships every year (not many, like a few). since EVERYONE is a poor student with no income or money, I don't think they give need-based. the merit scholarships i think are used to attract stellar students. almost everyone just takes out the full budget of loans ($55,000 a year or something like that). if you want loans, they give them to you. as I understand it you are pretty much guaranteed loans. most people take out the maximum stafford ($38,500) which obviously have much better rate and some of it is subsidized (no interest while in school) and then the rest in GradPLUS loans (a federally run private loan program). I know - ouch. Welcome to private school tuition. it's pretty easy to complete the financial aid stuff though.
http://66.99.255.20/osa/financialaid/

the dorms are pretty nice.

I'm with Samosas. I'm infiltrating this page, masking myself as one of you......accepted people. Fingers crossed as well.

im pretty sure that i read on MSAR that the average scholarship given to students is around $10,000... cant verify cuz i threw the book out upon receiving my acceptance letter... :D

im pretty sure that i read on MSAR that the average scholarship given to students is around $10,000... cant verify cuz i threw the book out upon receiving my acceptance letter... :D

haha, $10,000 is more money than i've made in the last 2 years combined...but id definitely take it! $45000 a year is way better than $55000 in my book.

whoa... i didnt know this thread existed...

ill be a part of the class and am very excited about it!!!

ive been wondering about fin aid myself...

ive tried calling, emailing, even left a voice msg on their system...

nothing...

for me, that has been the only downside about the school (that and maybe the location?)...

Be patient with financial aid. They are busy making sure us 4th years have our exit interviews and that we have everything in working order by the time we graduate to make sure we don't screw up and end up in repayment instead of defferment. You'll get your money, rest assured. When I was accepted way back when, it was about 1 week prior to orientation. I manged to get a financial aid disbursement by the end of orientation. But be patient...they'll get to you soon.

Good luck Samosas! I hear that they pull a lot of people off of the waitlist--are you waitlisted? Also, it cant' hurt to write a LOI :)

You'll get in, Good luck! :luck:

Hey! I too just got accepted to RFU this past week. Yay!!!:laugh:

I am from New Englad so I have a major relocation ahead. Where is everyone looking to live? I filled out the housing form but the deadline has passed!

Hey 2011 crew. I'll be living in those apartments next door to the school. I'm 27 and don't feel like dealing with random roommates anymore. I think I'm moving in mid-July. Anyone else?

I'm surprised there aren't more people posting, considering how big the class is. I'm excited and wanna start talking to other students already...

And I hope that bloody probation rumor mill will finally die already. CMS is a great school I really enjoyed visiting (they have Diet Mountain Dew on tap - a huge bonus in my book). I wish everyone would display more pride... Speaking of pride, I want a CMS sweatshirt.

Hey 2011 crew. I'll be living in those apartments next door to the school. I'm 27 and don't feel like dealing with random roommates anymore. I think I'm moving in mid-July. Anyone else?

I'm surprised there aren't more people posting, considering how big the class is. I'm excited and wanna start talking to other students already...

And I hope that bloody probation rumor mill will finally die already. CMS is a great school I really enjoyed visiting (they have Diet Mountain Dew on tap - a huge bonus in my book). I wish everyone would display more pride... Speaking of pride, I want a CMS sweatshirt.

yeah, it's a little annoying. but honestly, once you start school, you won't care what people say. you'll know youre getting a great education (although there will inevitably be student whining about little things), you'll like your classmates, you'll be proud of our 4th years when they match at great places and you'll see third years on campus and really look forward to those clinical rotations, you'll be busy getting involved (or should be), and you'll be worked very hard. the best way to take the high road is to go out there and be the best you can and know that your character and hard work here and out there on the wards reflect well on your school. lots of us love our school.

Yeah, you should get a CMS shirt, or have your class officers design stylish CMS Class of 2011 t-shirts. do well in classes, ask questions if you've got them. if you know an answer, don't be shy. most of all, keep reminding yourself that deep down you love this stuff and this is your thing. i think you'll find there's a lot of tradition (school's been around since like 1912 or somewhere around there) here to be proud of. heck, outside the first year auditorium the class pictures from every year dating back to then are hanging on the walls. if you're feeling tired and overworked between classes (people grab coffee or a snack or a bathroom break b/w classes), wander around and look at all the accomplished people who went before you. you can do it. the school is very proud of its students and i'm sure will be proud of you. your upperclassmen are too.

congrats

YEA IM GOIN TO BE KICKIN IT AT CMS

i dont know where to live tho, when i interviewed lots of people said apts nearby were a better deal and still pretty close - the woodlands or something like that they called em. but the school ones seemed real nice. any thoughts? also how to get good match with random roommates maybe hmm

and yea i dunno, cms has it goin on. my current roommate in undergrad has an older brother there who loved it. also i think its a good location. if i were in the city id be easily distracted, its good that i'll be studying and getting to know classmates and still perfect for visiting downtown city friends on the weekends or on slow weeknights. i like going to rock shows and occasionally havin a beer when im not slammin the books. NAHIMEAN?

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be coming to CMS in the fall too!! I just got my letter a few days ago. I'm a little concerned about housing - on campus housing seems to be full and they are starting a waitlist.

I'm from Rochester, NY. Look forward to seeing you guys

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be coming to CMS in the fall too!! I just got my letter a few days ago. I'm a little concerned about housing - on campus housing seems to be full and they are starting a waitlist.

I'm from Rochester, NY. Look forward to seeing you guys

try the student housing message boards. The Woodlands is the most popular spot for students to live and its ~ the same distance to school as the dorms.

http://66.99.255.20/students/messageboards/conference.cfm?confId=1

Thanks for the link - really helpful!

such little activity here. so sad.

I'll bump the fledgling CMS class thread. Congrats guys, and good luck next year. It really is a great school with unlimited oportunities. Look at our match list and you can be convinced that you can go anywhere for any residency.

Hey guys!!

I'm excited to meet everyone next year and so excited for med school! See you there.

:love:

Hello future RFUMSers. Congrats on your acceptance. If any of you need housing please read the description below- I will UNDERCUT anyone else in both price and quality that includes Woodlands and Campus Housing!!! I'm an M2 and homeowner who is looking for clean, courteous, and quiet students. Don't hesitate to email me if you have any housing questions or general questions about Chicago Medical School. Congrats again!

(2) spacious Rooms available for rent in Gurnee/Waukegan. There are only 2 other RFUMS female students (an M1 and PA) that will reside in this large house 2007-2008; both are quiet, courteous, and clean.

This newly constructed home is a fully furnished 2-story house with 8 total rooms, 2.5 baths, and 4 main floor rooms. There is also room furniture available for the rooms if needed.

Main Floor includes Italian Marble throughout first level that extends throughout a spacious, high-ceiling Living room & Dining room, both of which are Fully Furnished. French glass doors separate the large Dining Room from the modern Eat-in Kitchen Room which includes a Dishwasher, Refrigerator, Microwave, Toaster and Oven. Wide Backyard includes large patio and deck off main level which overlooks nature preserve and jogging trail (no backyard neighbors, quiet family housing area). Laundry room includes Washer and Dryer for anytime personal use. Cable and Wireless Internet available throughout the entire household. Attached 2-car Parking garage and FREE street parking also available. There is No additional cost for yard/lawn maintenance as it is included.

This is a new neighborhood that is student/professional friendly, quiet, and safe. There are also a number of grocery stores within walking distance.
***SEE PHOTOS***

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wauke...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

***SEE VIDEOS***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5Nz8Ulp_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqdsbwDpzg

A Medium room will be available as well as the Master Bedroom.
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email ([email protected]).

Hi guys, just got in today, and barring any unforeseen circumstances I will attend in this coming year.

When does finaid package come in?

Dear Quietest Class Ever,

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I submitted mine well over a month ago. Now I'm starting to worry about my (future lack of) monies.

Dear Quietest Class Ever,

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I submitted mine well over a month ago. Now I'm starting to worry about my (future lack of) monies.

I called the financial aid office, and they said that after may 18th they will start reviewing files and it takes about a month. You could call and ask them if they have all your paperwork just to make sure they have it.

Does RFU confirm that they received your deposit, if so how (via email maybe?). Just curious. I might just call and ask on Monday to see if they got it.

which deposit? i just saw that theyve cashed all my checks. i emailed them about my financial aid status and they said i was complete. we should hear back within the month

which deposit? i just saw that theyve cashed all my checks. i emailed them about my financial aid status and they said i was complete. we should hear back within the month

The 100 deposit to hold our position in class. I sent it in with the acceptance form. I called but dont really get a direct answer which makes little sense to me. Is there another way to check, it would be horrible if I lose my place in the clas because no one was able to confirm that they received my deposit and letter. How long after you guys sent in the confirmation did they cash it? Does RFU send another packet with info about when classes start and immunizations etc? I think I am worrying myself for no reason, but better be safe then sorry.

they didnt send anything to me (as in a confirmation) so i wouldnt be too worried about it. try and email or call the admissions office, im sure theyll get back to you.

Yea I got the confirmation. Well I am really excited about attending and completely looking forward to it. I sent in my housing form, I know it is late but I just got accepted a week ago so I didn't have much prior notice. Now I need to get my immunization and physical forms in and sit tight for the financial aid.

Lets try to keep this thread a bit more active, its definitely alot quieter then it should be. :)

for the immunization form you need to have IgG antibody blood work done, fyi.

Are lectures recorded? I think I remember hearing during the tour that they are. If so, are they video taped or just audio recordings and are they put up on the internet?

Thanks

I hope the housing isnt full. If it is that means I have quite a bit of extra stuff to do. Where are good places to live other then the on campus housing? And how much does the rent usually run?

I did look it up in a 3 yr old MSAR, and the average scholarship given out was 9k. Personally that sounds like great news, and if that is the average Im sure many get above that too.

Are lectures recorded? I think I remember hearing during the tour that they are. If so, are they video taped or just audio recordings and are they put up on the internet?

Thanks

I believe some classes/professors will make their lectures available online, but I think it's the responsibilities of the students to make sure that they're recorded (usually someone(s) will be put in charge of this at the beginning of the year).

I hope the housing isnt full. If it is that means I have quite a bit of extra stuff to do. Where are good places to live other then the on campus housing? And how much does the rent usually run?

There's probably only a very small chance of getting on campus housing at this point. Even then, there's an apartment complex right next to the school called the Woodlands where the rent is cheap, but then the accomodations isn't all that great. However, being able to walk to school is a plus especially in the winter rather than having to drive. Then there are some nicer apartments further off campus on Waukegan that's still within a 10 minute drive of school called Deer Valley (a single will run for about 900) and Northern Crossing (similarly priced and I believe they changed their name to the Landings or something to that effect) among others.

As one of your orientation advisors, welcome to CMS and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in just a few short months!

EDIT: and if you're worried about immunizations, don't be. You'll have time to get them done once you're enrolled and situated up here in North Chicago.

Hmm i just made an appointment for the immunizations too :). I guess Ill get it done now.

As far as housing, what would you recommend for the best facility outside of on campus? I figure if I have to live off campus, 1 mile or 5 miles means very little.

Hi everyone! I am definitely going to RFU. I'm 26, originally from NYC suburbs. I graduated from U of Mi in 2002 and moved back to NY for 2 years to work. I ended up back in MI for grad school and also because my husband went to law school at U of M.

I'm going to be living in the city (Lakeview area) and taking the Metra to school. Not looking forward to the commute but I'll use the time on the train to study...

Can't wait to meet everyone :)

Hmm i just made an appointment for the immunizations too :). I guess Ill get it done now.

As far as housing, what would you recommend for the best facility outside of on campus? I figure if I have to live off campus, 1 mile or 5 miles means very little.

I live at Deer Valley and I'm pretty happy with what I've got here. Another option similar to Deer Valley is Forest Pointe which I believe has the same apartment design, but just different management. Another option is Northern Crossing/The Landing which is also pretty nice. Just take a quick look around as they're all within a few miles of each other and see what's available to fit your needs.

And morriske, welcome to CMS and I also have a buddy who lived in Evanston and downtown for the first year and will be living downtown for the second year. It's doable, but it will be tough and it'll obviously help to have a car for those days where you don't feel like waiting for the train. It'll also help if you're the type of person that doesn't go to lecture ;)

I guess this is where I belong now? :D

so there's a Chicago Medical School Group on facebook. Whoever plays on facebook should join...

I just got in! I can't wait to meet all of you.