Chicago Medical School at RFUMS C/O 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats the facebook group, I wasnt able to find it when i searched. can you post a link, or exact name of the group maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

\

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I need your advice with financial aid. I just got accepted but I did fill out the fafsa electronically on may 9. Was I supposed to send the school a copy of SAR or do they get it electronically? I have no prior experience with loans in the u.s system. I tried calling the office but they are closed. I do not want to miss any deadlines. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

babi

Hi everyone,

I need your advice with financial aid. I just got accepted but I did fill out the fafsa electronically on may 9. Was I supposed to send the school a copy of SAR or do they get it electronically? I have no prior experience with loans in the u.s system. I tried calling the office but they are closed. I do not want to miss any deadlines. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

babi

there are forms on the rosalind franklin website under the financial aid section. theres also links to the federal loan program websites there

I guess this is more a question for current students at CMS but...

I was checking out the 2007 match list and I noticed that most of the students got their residencies in IL or CA - does anyone know if this is because most of the students wanted that and are from those areas or because they just didn't match in NY/NJ?

I only ask because I am from the NY area and would like to return after school and was curious of my chances to get a residency there. Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

Any suggestions on how to go about finding a roommate for this fall? I've checked out craigslist and the school website....are these pretty much it? I'm not even certain which communities I should be looking in. I have a dog so my options are a bit more limited. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys! :D

I just got my letter two days ago. See you all this fall.

Hey current CMS students.

I am planning my budget for the coming year. I know what the school recommends to budget for books, but I wanted to hear from current students: Do you actually purchase the books or mostly use the notes? Are there books available at the library to take home or only to use at the library? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
babi

I was checking out the 2007 match list and I noticed that most of the students got their residencies in IL or CA - does anyone know if this is because most of the students wanted that and are from those areas or because they just didn't match in NY/NJ?

I only ask because I am from the NY area and would like to return after school and was curious of my chances to get a residency there. Thanks guys!

while this quesiton can probably only be answered by our dean of student affairs or someone (about what % of students got one of their top choices), the fact that lots of students got residencies in IL or CA is due to the fact that at most schools, they put the most amount of people at their home programs. (e.g. UIC puts a large proportion of people in UIC programs) So think of the chicago area hospital programs as our "home programs", it makes sense. We've rotated through, we've lived in Chicago for 4 years, the attendings know our faces....it's no shock people are more likely to stick around. Plus there's some great residencies in chicago. The california thing is a little different. In previous years, the largest proportion of our class came from CA. CA's population is 1/6 of the country and we're a private school, so we get a lot of CA applicants. In more recent years, I think this has shifted and if I remember correctly CA is no longer the top contributor to our incoming classes. So a lot of CA residents want to get out of cold Chicago and back to sunny california. To each his own.

let me just advise everyone to take match lists with a grain of salt. you should look at it for the following things: do students seem to place into the specialtie(s) I'm interested in? do they seem to place in areas I'm interested in? do students seem happy with their matches? that's about it. don't try to sort through what the good programs are and what the competitive specialties are just yet, just get a feel for where graduates are kind of going and what they're going into if you want to look at match lists.

Hey current CMS students.

I am planning my budget for the coming year. I know what the school recommends to budget for books, but I wanted to hear from current students: Do you actually purchase the books or mostly use the notes? Are there books available at the library to take home or only to use at the library? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
babi

textbooks? not very much. some students buy textbooks and like them, but with the exception of a few (the Respiratory Phys book, the Renal phys book, an anatomy atlas, a neuroanatomy atlas) I don't think people buy many textbooks. most if not all are on reserve in the library.for the few times that you sit down for an hour or so and review the recommended text readings. the course notes are pretty much comprehensive, and they test off of the course notes.

that said, make SURE you buy the books you're told by every upperclassmen to buy and make SURE you buy the diagnostic equipment they tell you to get. upperclassmen may tell you "oh, you don't need it, they've got otoscopes on the walls on the wards", but that's not really true, and do you really want to be that guy who doesn't have it when the attending asks? and is it REALLY that important for you to save a few bucks rather than having the basic tools of practice as a physician? just buy 'em and get it over with.

When are we suppose to get our finaid packages, Im getting worried about that and would really like to see how steep im in for.

bump

this thread needs more posts!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

this thread needs more posts!!!

If RFU accepts the people from the Pre-allo thread (Bigdog, gujumd, heston, mave, jscrippe, myself, and more) this thread would be bumping!!!

We are all on the "waitlist" now, so hopefully we can join you here soon :luck:

My class had a huge proportion from California and Illinois. Looking at the list, I know there were many that ended up where they wanted to geographically. I can't speak for the programs, however. Match lists are very hard to judge without really having an idea of the class dynamics, etc.

that said, make SURE you buy the books you're told by every upperclassmen to buy and make SURE you buy the diagnostic equipment they tell you to get. upperclassmen may tell you "oh, you don't need it, they've got otoscopes on the walls on the wards", but that's not really true, and do you really want to be that guy who doesn't have it when the attending asks? and is it REALLY that important for you to save a few bucks rather than having the basic tools of practice as a physician? just buy 'em and get it over with.

While I agree with the book suggestion, I completely disagree with the diagnostic set issue. Otoscopes/opthalmoscopes are a complete waste of money. As I pack my stuff to move, I've just found my pan optic, which has not been used in 3 years. ICM scares you into buying that equipment, and most of the hospitals do have them, especially the Advocate locations (ask the nurses where they keep them if not on the wall). I would really save your money on not buying it...there are plenty of other expenses that you will find. There has not been one person that has carried around a diagnostic set during my rotations. You've got enough in your pocket to deal with. But that's my opinion on this issue. You'll hear differently from others.

When are we suppose to get our finaid packages, Im getting worried about that and would really like to see how steep im in for.

Same here. I actually called a couple days ago and left a message (on Tuesday actually) and didn't hear anything back. :confused: Hopefully we'll hear soon.

I kept calling the Financial Aid office, but they never returned my calls regarding my status (I haven't received the fin aid package yet). I emailed and they responded in a few days saying they'll process it "about a month before my program starts." Um. Aren't we about there? I can't help but worry that they'll be like "Sorry! No monies left!" Has anyone else had this?

I'll be moving into the Woodlands mid-July if anyone wants to meet and figure out what the hell we're doing.

I kept calling the Financial Aid office, but they never returned my calls regarding my status (I haven't received the fin aid package yet). I emailed and they responded in a few days saying they'll process it "about a month before my program starts." Um. Aren't we about there? I can't help but worry that they'll be like "Sorry! No monies left!" Has anyone else had this?

I'll be moving into the Woodlands mid-July if anyone wants to meet and figure out what the hell we're doing.

Yea, the finaid office is impossible to get a hold of, money is quite important and I would definitely like to know whats going on with it way before I start.

As for meeting, I think that would be a great idea, I am totally up for it. Although I don't have housing yet, haven't even gone to look. I'm still hoping for on campus if I get lucky off the housing wait list, do you know if woodlands still has any openings?

We need more posts here!

i think i emailed them a couple weeks ago. they said i'd get my financial aid package "within a month or so"...a month being June 21. as for people who were just accepted recently...im guessing itll be longer for you...

Hi everyone, can't wait to meet you in August! :)

Oh regarding fin aid, I was told a few days ago that they wouldn't even begin sending award letters for at least 2-4 weeks, has anyone had a different experience?

Talked to Finaid today. They say award stuff will go out aprox a month before school starts.

Is there any reason to expect we wouldn't get all the loans we applied for? I'm being optimistic about all of this, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't be...

And that is the most quiet Facebook group. Come on, kids.

Oh, and yes, there are openings at the Woodlands. I think. The 1 bedrooms have a sizable waitlist so I hear, but the 2 bedrooms aren't as bad. And the 2 bedrooms aren't that much more expensive than the 1s. Call right now if you want to be put on any of the waitlists. http://www.woodlandsongreenbay.com/

Nice people. I like it there. I can't wait to move in.

I also got an email today that financial aid award letters will be mailed in few weeks. I am just trying to get all immunizations, forms in as soon as I can so I can enjoy whatever is left of my summer.

I have lived in Chicago for the last 10 years and currently live in Evanston. If any of you out staters need some help feel free to pm me.

I also agree that this thread needs to be more active.
babi

Last edited:
yep, i grew up in downtown chicago. i moved to dc for 7 years, but now i'm back. this notion of moving to the suburbs is slightly bumming me out, but at least rent's cheap.

I will be joining you guys at CMS.

I called the the Financial Aid Office today. They said they are busy with the M4 papers. However, they should get the ball rolling within the next two weeks. Award letters are not going to be sent out until a month before school starts as the above posters mentioned.

I have lived in Northbrook my whole life. Anyone else from the area? Does anyone living in the student housing/dorms know when we can move in?

Isn't Northbrook commutable?

I am looking for apartments within 30 mins radius. Anyone know of cheap apartments? I heard of Briarwood in Waukegan. Just wondering how the place is...

Last edited:
Northbrook is about a 30 min drive. I guess its commutable, but I'd rather live right next to the school. You can stay with my parents though! But I still have a bunkbed haha.

Thanks.:laugh:

How is the drive up I-94? Traffic? I don't know what suburbs would be good to commute from.

As far as financial aid is concerned, it says in the MSAR that the average scholarship/grant given in 10,000, is this true? That is a whole lot of money and if I can get even half that itll save me 20k over 4 years.

Thanks.:laugh:

How is the drive up I-94? Traffic? I don't know what suburbs would be good to commute from.

Depends on how far south you live from North Chicago, I-94 can be absolute HELL, but not usually that far north.

Hey everyone!!!! I cannot wait for school to begin... what is everyone doing these days???
As for me.... I am working to kill time.. and trying to get all my medical forms in place for school!!!

Ill be heading to Chicago next week to find a place to live, I cant seem to get a hold of the housing office for info on the on-campus wait list. Is anyone in need of a roommate, if I cant find a single I may need one.

What happens during orientation? What's the schedule like? What do we do? (I'm trying to make this more real, less like it's all in my imagination.)

Hi there new guys!

Welcome to the family!

Lot's to say:

Housing:

I lived in the woodlands last year and will be moving over to the dorms for this year. If you haven't lived in Chicago before or have a set social group out here, I highly recommend living in either of those two places (though I hear the dorms are full). The woodlands are great. There's an outdoor pool and a little work out room which I've used a lot more than I thought. Plus, if you ball, you can play at the Lake Bluff center for free every tues night (my personal fav). The rooms are nice and the neighbors are really quiet (unless you live next certain people). It's mostly students, but it's got more of a normal appartment feel. But I'm cheap, and will move to the dorm for tax implications.

Fin Aid:

Sorry, but I don't think I know anyone with one of those "scholarships." But do yourself and your fellow students a favor and vote democratic so we'll get lower interest rates (Buck Fush). Here's your fin aid package: $8,500 stafford subsidized, $30,000 stafford unsubsidized, and however much you want in the other loans. So you want to buy a new porsche right now? Pull out more loan. You want to pull it cheap? take out just the staffords and live in waukeegan (get on your knees for Ned).

The Location:

You'll barely ever go into North Chicago at all. Yeah we're technically in city limits, but I spend most of my time in the other north shore (ie, old money) suburbs. What you don't know:

• You're a 3 min train ride from Ravinia and the CSO is free for students
  • Yeah, you can use Lake Forest's library
  • The beach at Fort Sheridan does not have unexploded ordinance
  • There's great mexican a few miles down in Highwood
  • You can do anything with access to a car

http://www.ravinia.org/

The Faculty

They're great! I really mean it. There is nothing funnier than Dr. McCormick lecturing on female reproductive endocrinology ("You used to be able to tell by the lack of pubic hair growth, but now women like to ....").
:laugh:

The Coffee

Caribou in Libertyville is sweet. Don't go to Starbucks!

The Gym

Do what I did, skip biochem to avoid the pre dinner rush.

The Orientation

Have as much fun as possible! Go out every night! Go downtown! Go drinking! Find out where the Cubby Bear is! Get together with your classmates (and M2's too)! It's all down hill from there.

I was one of the tour guides, and I've already gotten emails from a few of you. If you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help!

Congratulations! See you in a few months!

I am going to party so F***ing hard during orientation I just might die!!! See you all soon.

i like to hear that there will be some orientation partying going on...definitely looking forward to that!

anyone living in forest pointe/deer valley apts? i'll be in forest pointe.

what are people doing as far as laptops? i'd like to get one, but don't know if they are popular among cms'ers or if there are any special specifications that might be necessary?

looking forward to meeting you all :)

i like to hear that there will be some orientation partying going on...definitely looking forward to that!

what are people doing as far as laptops? i'd like to get one, but don't know if they are popular among cms'ers or if there are any special specifications that might be necessary?

Yay! It looks like I'll be living there too. Right now I'm looking at a one-bedroom but I'd rather find a roommate and get a two-bedroom so if anyone's looking for a roommate...PM me!! :D

It will definitely help if you have a laptop especially since the administration/faculty is pushing to become 'paperless' although notes are available to download and print for most courses. Some courses also make it possible to purchase notes through the university. As for what your laptop needs to do, it just needs to be able to open pdf and powerpoint files so it doesn't matter if you decide to get a pc or mac. I would, however, recommend that you look into a tablet as it'll make it much easier to take quick notes during lecture and allows you the freedom to easily circle and draw arrows with.

i just bought a macbook pro for school

Don't think you have to have the latest laptop. I got by last year without a computer, however, it was a little rough at times. And fight tooth and nail against digitization of class material. It is impossible to study off a computer given the volume of material we have.

Has anyone received the class schedule? If not, does anyone know if a sample exists from previous years? I would like to know when class starts and ends. I also want to see when labs are.

If you have this information please PM me or just post here. Thanks!

Thank you!!

Are exams only during midterms and finals? Or are there also weekly exams after several chapters?

so I joined the facebook group...

I'm going to be living in Chicago(Lakeview) and taking the Metra. Does anyone know if there is a white coat ceremony? My parents want to try to be there for it. I'm an only child :laugh:

I'm going to be living in Chicago(Lakeview) and taking the Metra. Does anyone know if there is a white coat ceremony? My parents want to try to be there for it. I'm an only child :laugh:

:laugh: That's cute.

I know they had white coat ceremony in previous years and I am pretty sure there is one this year as well. You might want to contact them and ask when exactly it is going to take place.
On a different note, I visited the school again yesterday and gave them all the required forms. I got a chance to look at the evaluation center (did not see it during interview day), and it is sooooo cool. They even let me see the big dummy (I forgot its name) we get to practice on. Not to mention that everyone one I met from the admissions office, financial aid, library has been super nice and helpful. What a good feeling to know there is so much support.
BTW I live in Evanston so if anyone has questions about chicago do not hesitate to pm me.
Babi