Chicago Medical School at RFUMS C/O 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who has lived at the Woodlands or knows anyone who has: is it nice or is it a better idea to live at Deer Valley/Forest Pointe?

Excited to see you guys in August!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think ill be trying to get housing at forest pointe/deer valley, woodlands has no 1 bedrooms free.

Well, i just got off the housing wait list for the on campus housing, so I dont have to go looking for an apartment after all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call (sort-of - see the Pre-Allo thread for details) today. So I guess I'm going to be looking for housing very soon!

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

If you have the option of living in the woodlands or one of the other apartment complexes, definitely go with the woodlands. You'll want to be around students and campus. Those other places are just far enough to make it difficult. I thought the woodlands were real nice, and made campus really accessible.

Just got the call (sort-of - see the Pre-Allo thread for details) today. So I guess I'm going to be looking for housing very soon!

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

congrats mave!!!
i guess u need to go partying first!!! :hardy:

What kind of computers are people planning on getting? I'm starting to look around, since my beloved laptop is starting to circle the drain, and I'm trying to decide whether I should make the jump to a Mac or stick with a PC.

I know that somewhere on the RFU website is their recommendations on tech specs for computers, but I can't find it now.

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'm thinking Forest Pointe or Woodlands. I have a dog (see left). He's super cool and well-behaved, as am I. :D

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'm thinking Forest Pointe or Woodlands. I have a dog (see left). He's super cool and well-behaved, as am I. :D

I was at Forest Pointe today, looking for a 1BD apartment. Now, though, I'm off the waitlist for a shared 2BD in the on-campus housing and I'm trying to decide between the two. It's a lot of money to be saved...

What kind of computers are people planning on getting? I'm starting to look around, since my beloved laptop is starting to circle the drain, and I'm trying to decide whether I should make the jump to a Mac or stick with a PC.

I know that somewhere on the RFU website is their recommendations on tech specs for computers, but I can't find it now.

I got a dell, the 12 inch one. Its good, light, and has great battery life. I tend to do more heavy duty things in my spare time (picture/video editing) so I wanted something that was powerful and light.

Additionally, HP has a student discount with Rosalind Franklin, I think you get 15% off, or maybe more. Worth looking into.

I am really looking forward to CMS in august, cant wait to see you all. Well for now Im going on vacation for a month :).

I was at Forest Pointe today, looking for a 1BD apartment. Now, though, I'm off the waitlist for a shared 2BD in the on-campus housing and I'm trying to decide between the two. It's a lot of money to be saved...

What a coincidence, I got in off the wait list for a 2bd for on-campus just the other day, maybe we will be roommates :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of computers are people planning on getting?

i bought a laptop earlier this year.... toshiba a 135... but it has windows vista.. and as of now vista sucks

Does anyone know how bad of a commute it will be coming from the Des Plaines area to campus?

Also, will this area be a good choice for living during 3rd/4th years?

Does anyone know how bad of a commute it will be coming from the Des Plaines area to campus?

I294 runs through des plaines...you just take that north...so id guess it would depend on how traffic is. I'd say you could do it in 40 minutes but in bad traffic over an hour.

probably wouldnt be a bad choice for 3/4 year either. kind of a middle ground between the campus and the hospitals.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Your dog is so cute!

I'll be living in the Woodlands in a 1 bedroom and I'm really excited about meeting all of you guys - when are you all planning to move in?

I'm taking the on-campus apartment that I was offered, but I'm not sure when I'm moving in yet. I have a younger sister in college in Cleveland, so a lot depends on when she needs to be back at school. I'm sure that it'll be sometime over the first few days of August.

Any word on when the white coat ceremony is?

I'm taking the on-campus apartment that I was offered, but I'm not sure when I'm moving in yet. I have a younger sister in college in Cleveland, so a lot depends on when she needs to be back at school. I'm sure that it'll be sometime over the first few days of August.

call me dumb, but what is a white coat ceremony???

August 8th, 5 PM

Just got an email with some updates and orientation info. Check your inboxes!

has anyone heard anything from the financial aid office yet??

August 8th, 5 PM

Just got an email with some updates and orientation info. Check your inboxes!

I just checked my email and I got it too. I don't even bother with checking email anymore so thanks! :D

call me dumb, but what is a white coat ceremony???

It's a little ceremony in the auditorium (family invited) where all the incoming medical students dress up and have their white coat put on them on stage, shake hands with the Dean, etc. It's the first time you recite the Hippocratic Oath too. The other physicians present recite it with you. Then they paddle you. It's kind of nice.

It's a little ceremony in the auditorium (family invited) where all the incoming medical students dress up and have their white coat put on them on stage, shake hands with the Dean, etc. It's the first time you recite the Hippocratic Oath too. The other physicians present recite it with you. Then they paddle you. It's kind of nice.

I'll wear my control tops.

I just bought a townhouse with my fiance in des plaines. Did a test drive a month or so ago and it took me about a half an hour. 294 is under construction and gets congested, I am hoping some of it clears up by the time school starts. I have a feeling that there wont be much traffic once you get past where you can exit to other expressways going east and west.

One of the interviewers told me that he expects more students to spend good portions of their 3/4 years at lutheran general and its in park ridge, so minutes from desplaines.

I just bought a townhouse with my fiance in des plaines. Did a test drive a month or so ago and it took me about a half an hour. 294 is under construction and gets congested, I am hoping some of it clears up by the time school starts. I have a feeling that there wont be much traffic once you get past where you can exit to other expressways going east and west.

One of the interviewers told me that he expects more students to spend good portions of their 3/4 years at lutheran general and its in park ridge, so minutes from desplaines.

Yeah, it's just not the "ideal" or traditinoal CMS student living situation. Usually we live in the dorms or in the Woodlands for the first two years, and move downtown to a somewhat centrally-located apartment close to the EL with a classmate or two for third and fourth years. Some people don't mind a 30-45 minute commute every day, but I couldn't do it. Lutheran is by no means the only place you'll rotate through, but you may be able to get a few there (out of 9 total rotations 3rd year) if you want them. Obviously you can make it work so please do so but I don't think Des Plaines is particularly ideal.

For those of you who are thinking, "gosh, do I really want to live in North Chicago for the next two years?"......you do. Being walking distance from campus is a huge advantage as a student. Obviously, if you've got other priorities (home for your family vs. apt), then the tradeoff may be worth it, however. Best of luck.

I will also be living in Des Plaines with my wife. I don't think it should be that bad of a commute. 30 mins sounds about right. You can definitely commute to hospitals for 3rd/4th years too. I haven't gotten the chance to check out Des Plaines. How is the city?

I dont move for a couple of weeks but I live about 20 min south of des plaines and from what I have gathered des plaines is pretty mixed. For example, I was driving around and on some blocks I saw fairly old small houses and then lots double the size with maybe 5 year old giant brick houses kind of like the ones in elmhurst. The downtown area was recently revitalized and looks pretty cool. There are lots of chain restaraunts and restaraunts unique to the area. Theres more to do to the west in the schaumburg area and the blue line is just south in rosemont which will take you into the city, plus theres a metra down town. Also there is a new downtownish area being constructed in rosemont with a giant movie theater, shopping and a waterpark which is planned to rival the ones in wisconsin.

Where abouts did you decide to move to in Des plaines? I am just off of touhy east of mannheim a few blocks from the all state arena.

If I could I would probably live in north chicago but my fiance has a few years left at midwestern and so des plaines ended up being our midway point.

I will also be living in Des Plaines with my wife. I don't think it should be that bad of a commute. 30 mins sounds about right. You can definitely commute to hospitals for 3rd/4th years too. I haven't gotten the chance to check out Des Plaines. How is the city?

My husband and I bought a condo in the Lakeview area of Chicago so I will have a very long commute. I'm planning to study/sleep on the Metra.

Moniker, do some students live in the city during the first two years or am I a complete anomaly?

I dont move for a couple of weeks but I live about 20 min south of des plaines and from what I have gathered des plaines is pretty mixed. For example, I was driving around and on some blocks I saw fairly old small houses and then lots double the size with maybe 5 year old giant brick houses kind of like the ones in elmhurst. The downtown area was recently revitalized and looks pretty cool. There are lots of chain restaraunts and restaraunts unique to the area. Theres more to do to the west in the schaumburg area and the blue line is just south in rosemont which will take you into the city, plus theres a metra down town. Also there is a new downtownish area being constructed in rosemont with a giant movie theater, shopping and a waterpark which is planned to rival the ones in wisconsin.

Where abouts did you decide to move to in Des plaines? I am just off of touhy east of mannheim a few blocks from the all state arena.

If I could I would probably live in north chicago but my fiance has a few years left at midwestern and so des plaines ended up being our midway point.

My wife is working in the western suburbs so Des Plaines is a good midway point for us as well. Is your fiance going to the med school at midwestern?

I have found a couple places in Des Plaines but haven't yet decided. We will be finalizing things sometime soon.

Hey everyone! I can't believe I have just started posting on this thread. I have been looking at the Pre-MD for Rosalind Franklin for a while and somehow forgot about this one.

I am living in the student housing as well...sharing a 2-bedroom with [still to find out...anyone know when we are told, I think it was mid-late July]. I am so glad to be right on campus, I know I would never be able to commute although a lot of people do. I live in East Lakeview right now and then will be moving up to N. Chicago whenever we get our move-in days. Is anyone else (I requested female roommate) going into a 2 bedroom on campus blind?? Maybe we will be roomies!

I am so excited to start in Aug and am happy to see that we will be having a good time at orientation! :p Gotta get in the free time while it lasts! I can't wait to meet everyone and know we will have a great year together!

My husband and I bought a condo in the Lakeview area of Chicago so I will have a very long commute. I'm planning to study/sleep on the Metra.

Moniker, do some students live in the city during the first two years or am I a complete anomaly?

No, students definitely do live in the city. Whenever I need to, I like taking the Metra personally, you just have 30-60 minutes to sit and relax and watch the northern neighborhoods glide by (or sleep or read) and it's not bad. So for the average unattached student I would recommend living in the dorms or Woodlands, but if you've got a good reason to live with a commute (spouse, family, etc.) it's definitely do-able and maybe preferable. Chicago's a great city. You'll enjoy it.

Glad people are getting excited! Your biggest assets coming into medical school are your enthusiasm, passion, and respect for the profession. It's so worth it. To be candid, med school is really as great as I was hoping it would be, and I love it here at CMS. Be as strong as you can and contribute as much as you can and your school and classmates will be proud of you.

My wife is working in the western suburbs so Des Plaines is a good midway point for us as well. Is your fiance going to the med school at midwestern?

I have found a couple places in Des Plaines but haven't yet decided. We will be finalizing things sometime soon.

My fiance is going to be in her 2nd year of pharmacy school next year. Are you buying or renting in desplaines? I was looking at both for a long time and www.chicagotribune.com ended up being a better resource than I would have expected from a newspaper.

I'm looking for a female roommate. Please PM me. Thanks!

People living on-campus, check your emails! Roommate letters just went out!

I wish I had seen your post before today, I never received the email! Has anyone heard/received anything from financial aid?

I wish I had seen your post before today, I never received the email! Has anyone heard/received anything from financial aid?

Haven't heard a word yet. I'm getting kinda worried. Not that I doubt that I will be in debt, but I just want to know how deep I will be! :p

i just noticed that they posted the M1 2007-2008 schedules over at the rfums page.

neat. it is nice to know that i'm safe from biochem for a few months.

i feel the urge to go buy a planner and write this all down :p

Where in the world are our finaid packages?

Where in the world are our finaid packages?

God only knows!!! when i spoke to them earlier last week, they said I should be receiving them in the mail this week.. However, I have not received anything yet! I am freaking out now!!!:scared:

From the schedule, does anyone know what "Physiology Small Groups" and "HSB" are? Are they mandatory?

DoctorSaab,

I don't know what physio small groups are about, but HSB stands for health sciences building, ie where those small groups will meet.

From the schedule, does anyone know what "Physiology Small Groups" and "HSB" are? Are they mandatory?

Yikes, already asking this question huh?

No, they're not mandatory (or weren't when I took it) but it might be a good idea to attend at least at first to decide whether or not you'd be foregoing a valuable resource by skipping.

Physio groups are NOT mandatory. Theyll assign you to groups in the beginning, but most people just figure out who the good facilitators are and go to them. Theyre purely there as a resource, so if they dont help you, dont go. That simple.

Physio groups are NOT mandatory. Theyll assign you to groups in the beginning, but most people just figure out who the good facilitators are and go to them. Theyre purely there as a resource, so if they dont help you, dont go. That simple.

But certainly you wouldn't recommend that incoming M1's ALREADY be planning on not going?
Best to start out going.

But certainly you wouldn't recommend that incoming M1's ALREADY be planning on not going?
Best to start out going.

Of course. Go to the first few, see if it helps you. Thats really what its all about. In fact, I went to all of the facilitator sessions. But I didnt go to the one I was initially assigned to. I had to switch a few times and then found someone who did an AWESOME job, so I stuck with him the rest of the time.

All Im saying is, dont be afraid not to go if you dont get anything out of it. You guys will have 6 weeks till your first set of exams. By the end of the 2nd week, latest 3rd, you should know what works and what doesnt and plan your schedule accordingly.

Guys I talked to the FinAid the other day and they hope to have all the packages sent out by the end of this week(tomorrow I guess). We should expect the mail packet mid next week depending on where we live.

Of course. Go to the first few, see if it helps you. Thats really what its all about. All Im saying is, dont be afraid not to go if you dont get anything out of it. You guys will have 6 weeks till your first set of exams. By the end of the 2nd week, latest 3rd, you should know what works and what doesnt and plan your schedule accordingly.

By "you" and "you guys" you mean "them", of course. I'm not an M1.

This is good advice, though.