chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising 3rd year medical student from a mid-tier southeastern school. I am in the top third of my class, no AOA, research in interventional not yet published but presented at home institution. i want to do rads in chicago because my fiance will be there. What kind of step I score do i need to be competitive at academic centers in chicago (ie UChicago, Northwestern, UIC, Loyola, Rush)? i have heard 240+ from some fourth years who just matched, but curious to get other replies. thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously, higher scores = better, and > 240 is fine.

Getting interviews outside of your geographic region is hard. You'll need to have a compelling case for going to Chicago, and you'll probably have to contact (or have someone else contact) several of those programs to express your interest and sincerity. Programs are well aware of the competitive nature of the rads match, and are wary of far away applicants who might just be blanketing dozens of programs in the hopes of landing a few interviews. They'll only interview you if they think you'd actually choose their program. In addition to contacting programs, you might consider sending a different version of your personal statement to Chicago programs to tell them your story.

Good luck!

I have had several friends from the west coast apply into radiology the past couple of years. Chicago and NY have the BIGGEST geography bias. You MUST make it clear you want to be in Chicago. I personally know of people on the west coast who matched at Hopkins, MGH, Stanford, UCSF, etc... who did not receive interviews at places like Loyola/Rush, etc... and were either rejected or "placed on hold" for interview at places like Northwestern/U Chicago. They were then sent e-mails asking if they wanted to remain on their alternate interview list. If they responded yes, they were often granted an interview within a week, but if they responded no, they would later be rejected. These were all people with 250+, sometimes 260+ boards and multiple publications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Likewise, the EAST and WEST coast programs have a STRONG regional bias against Midwest applicants. I had friends from Midwest schools who applied this year that were completely shut out of programs on both coasts.

The process has become insanely competitive...

does it help if you have done a rotation on one of the coasts and have a LOR from the coast, even though you are from the midwest and go to school in the midwest?

ktat72, you didn't specify where you want to end up. I presume you're thinking of going to the coasts, in which case, certainly an away rotation is tangible evidence of interest in that program.

The OP however is asking about going to Chicago from the SE, in which case away rotations on the coasts are not so useful to him/her, which brings me to my main point;

Consider away rotations at institutions of interest, especially if you have no documented ties to the area. Sure your S.O. is your reason for wanting to train in Chicago, but how do the resident selection committees distinguish your interest from someone who's just fabricating a regional tie to get extra interviews? For all they know you could have a S.O. all over the country!

An away rotation on the other hand, ....

p.s.
Agree with Dr. Doepug.
VSS, CTAB, RRR, Abd Soft nt nd, 240+ BS.

there are a couple places where i would not mind ending up for residency. i just mention a couple different places since i know how competitive radiology is out there and how my application is not that strong. my only hope is that i can get out of kansas city for residency - i do not know if it is because i am from st. louis or what, but i do not really like kc that much, although my home program is a good program.