Chicago Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kijaho

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some help people. I want to decide between Loyoal and UIC at chicago. Can anyone who knows about these two, please advise me especially for fellowship tract for GI... I would really appreciate this... Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

go to uic. you will be happier. gi is a crapshoot at best, unless you have some research background. it is very competitive right now, so if you want it find out who is in play and start researching!

how about Rush vs. UIC anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
let's just say i've done a lot of rotations at uic (including medicine): go uic. most of the residents are quite smart and friendly, and you actually get to be the doctor at both UIH and the VA (esp at the VA, sometimes its hard to FIND an attending of any specialty). the PD is also rather protective of residents and there is a good amount of didactics. draw back is ancillary staff at UIH and the VA. re gi: lots of liver craziness at UIH, they do place in gi for fellowship.

vs. loyola: i didn't interview prelim there.

vs. rush: hands down uic. i interviewed for prelim there and was rather disappointed. stuffy! plus not much teaching. and chasing private attendings (i didn't study this long to be a glorified secretary w/ a pager, a stethoscope, and a reflex hammer)

dos centavos

Thanks guys! I agree with what you guys are saying... But I noticed that Loyola has 5 GI spots while UIC has 2 or 3... The the number of residents are the same so it seems a little harder from UIC. Then again, UIC will give me more flexibility in doing a research project. Good points all! Thanks...

uic has more gi spots than 2 or 3.

I believe that UIC has around 10-12 total GI spots. Each year they accept around 2-3 applicants. During the latest application cycle, they accepted 3 applicants: 2 were UIC residents and one was from outside. In general, the UIC program is very homegrown. Of the 12 current fellows, I believe that 9 are former UIC residents.

thanks for the info. I also did notice that UIC is homegrown... I just like to mention that Loyola has around 4-5 spots per year... rather large gi program.