Which IM programs have the best facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustReadtheInstructions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious which IM programs in the US have the newest buildings, most spacious workrooms/callrooms, nicest cafeterias, etc. While this obviously won't be the most important factor in how I rank a program, it would be nice to know what kind of environment I will be working in for the next few years of my life. I also imagine that other applicants will have similar questions, especially given the likelihood of virtual interviews. It can be hard to get a true sense of a hospital's physical environment from the carefully curated pictures presented on residency program websites.

I feel like 80% of hospitals are largely at the same level, I am mostly curious if any program stands out particularly positively or negatively?

Members don't see this ad.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

practically though , if the residency program is associated with a larger for profit employer and if the residency is based out of the flagship hospital , then there is a high chance the facilities would be quite modern .

Reactions: 1 user
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

practically though , if the residency program is associated with a larger for profit employer and if the residency is based out of the flagship hospital , then there is a high chance the facilities would be quite modern .
This generalization isn't unreasonable. If we want to have fun discussing this, there are subtle points to be made too.

1.) Resident work spaces. Hospitals can have giant glass towers with elegant paintings, etc. but ultimately you need to worry about where you are working. Are there clean and quiet spaces to work? How close are these areas from your patients? Are there modern, high speed computers with large screens and are they specifically for you or do the nurses and other healthcare workers compete for them?

2.) How is the affordability, convenience, and quality/health content of the food (and again) how far and how much wait time does it take to obtain the said food? It's one thing to have a Panera but if it's a mile walk from your patient's and there's usually a 45 minute wait around noon, that's not very practical option for nutrition rounds.

IMO, midsized hospitals have it the best with cheap, decent food options with not as much competition for the nice desktop workspaces. Larger flagship hospitals look fancy but there's tons of people trying to use the computers and the wait for lunch at noon's usually a mess. My opinion too is a generalization and the truly best facilities is best determined on a case to case basis with what you weigh as best.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best looking hospitals with nice physician lounges are in Texas.

The better facilities are associated with the for-profit hospitals or the bigger-named nationally or globally famous hospitals. The hospital is where you'll be spending most of your time in residency.

UTSW has a new university hospital (Clements) and county hospital (Parkland) that have opened within the past 5 years-ish. The VA on the other hand continues to look and smell like an old VA hospital

This generalization isn't unreasonable. If we want to have fun discussing this, there are subtle points to be made too.

1.) Resident work spaces. Hospitals can have giant glass towers with elegant paintings, etc. but ultimately you need to worry about where you are working. Are there clean and quiet spaces to work? How close are these areas from your patients? Are there modern, high speed computers with large screens and are they specifically for you or do the nurses and other healthcare workers compete for them?

2.) How is the affordability, convenience, and quality/health content of the food (and again) how far and how much wait time does it take to obtain the said food? It's one thing to have a Panera but if it's a mile walk from your patient's and there's usually a 45 minute wait around noon, that's not very practical option for nutrition rounds.

IMO, midsized hospitals have it the best with cheap, decent food options with not as much competition for the nice desktop workspaces. Larger flagship hospitals look fancy but there's tons of people trying to use the computers and the wait for lunch at noon's usually a mess. My opinion too is a generalization and the truly best facilities is best determined on a case to case basis with what you weigh as best.
You hit it pretty freaking well.
Resident work spaces - Every floor should have computer work spaces for nurses, residents AND attendings. And I'll also agree that all computers should be widescreen monitors and not the box monitors people still think are adequate.
Not having to fight for a computer is also a plus
The environment you write your notes in is also important - it can't be stressful, hectic or loud/annoying.

Parking. Freaking PARKING. I don't care what you say, but parking is definitely an important thing. How hard is it to find a good parking spot and how FAR do you have to walk to the hospital

I'll add on a couple things -
Coffee - do you guys force us to get coffee from the shop or do you have coffee machines/Keurig's available to use? I'm being serious. This is 2021. There should be free coffee that's always available. And I should be able to bring my k cups to use at the hospital. Also, creamer/halfnhalf should be part of that. And tea should also be provided for tea drinkers.

Food - I'll agree about the content of food. I came from a hospital in Queens where the cafeteria was a joke and the food would give you DM/Obesity after 2 years. Meanwhile, other hospitals offer better options. I'll add another - storage for things you bring home. Does your hospital have fridges for residents that's ONLY for residents?

Also, don't be so quick to fall in love with "new units" or "redesigns". If those don't include the specialty you're going into, you'll rarely enjoy the benefits. Some hospitals build new wings and show it off and it's just some new wing specifically for surgery/cardiac/etc but not anything else. lol

I mean, I'm a sucker for the modern wood floors and all that new hospitals have. But that doesn't mean anything if the computers are from 1996 and there are no charting rooms.

ease of logistics matter far more than how glitzy facilities are

• Love