Chicagoland job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chevycorvette58

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any recent grads getting job offers in Chicago/nearby suburbs? I've been steadily applying to everything posted on indeed.com and so far things haven't been going my way. Very tough to even get an interview. My resume has been reviewed by a school rep who said it was good. Can the people who have not been employed through chains and who got offers from chains/hospitals/others share their strategies for success?
 
I understand how you feel I just finished school in August this year, and have been applying like crazy for jobs since August last year. I've been through sites like career builder, monster, etc. with no luck. It wasn't until my last rotation when I went through a contact through school that I got an offer for a job in a "REALLY RURAL", portion of Indiana, which is about 2 1/2 hours from my house. During my last rotation, which was in Chicago my preceptor told me that all the pharmacy students in Chicago couldn't find anything at all. With all the pharmacists in and around Chicago, employers can be very picky.

P.S.--> I notice employers won't even look at your resume unless your really close to your graduation date.
 
I understand how you feel I just finished school in August this year, and have been applying like crazy for jobs since August last year. I've been through sites like career builder, monster, etc. with no luck. It wasn't until my last rotation when I went through a contact through school that I got an offer for a job in a "REALLY RURAL", portion of Indiana, which is about 2 1/2 hours from my house. During my last rotation, which was in Chicago my preceptor told me that all the pharmacy students in Chicago couldn't find anything at all. With all the pharmacists in and around Chicago, employers can be very picky.

P.S.--> I notice employers won't even look at your resume unless your really close to your graduation date.

Pretty scary thought. Just imagine how it is going to be like just a year from now. Admission standards keep on dropping and record student loan debt. It is going up get worse. Whatever offer you got, take it. People will get desperate when December comes around.
 
I can give my two cents on this...

My situation may be slightly different from others as I am only looking for part-time work, but within the city limits all I can say is good luck. I've mainly been looking for hospital positions, and unless you have a strong connection or previous pharmacist experience/residency, you're fighting a hugely uphill battle. I interned at a major hospital throughout school and was a hospital tech through most of undergrad, but it's not really doing me any good. It truly is about who you know, and as I put almost all of my networking effort into my main career route which is non-traditional, my connections for the hospital staffing route are somewhat weaker. As for retail, there are a handful from my class that interned at major chains throughout school (and some before) that ended up getting hired on in the city, with the majority of the rest being hired on as floaters around the burbs. That's not necessarily so terrible, except that some of the floaters have to travel ridiculous distances. I know of one guy who is basically covering the entirety of northern Illinois.

That being said, people are having a little bit better luck out in the far suburbs, so if you don't mind being an hour out from the city it may still be possible to find something.

I'm doing a research fellowship full-time, so I haven't looked for work quite as aggressively as those who are looking for full-time pharmacist positions, but so far I've applied to around a dozen or so places and have had one interview. I followed up about three weeks after the interview (which went very well), but they said they were still interviewing and had "many, many applicants", so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm far from a doom and gloomer, but if you're still in school and looking in the Chicago area, I would say to be realistic and plan on moving.

This applies to new grads only though. I'm seeing a ton of openings for DOP positions if you qualify for that.
 
Last edited: