Chief Residency Required before GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing I'm noticing more and more, as I browse through fellowship matches, is that medicine residents do a chief year first, and then match into GI.

Is this a way to become more competitive before applying to GI?

Or is does GI require that you do a chief year for most fellowships?

Thanks.
 
Is this a way to become more competitive before applying to GI?

Or is does GI require that you do a chief year for most fellowships?

Doing a chief year does not hurt, but it is certainly not a requirement for obtaining GI fellowships, even at the most competitive of fellowships.
 
I think it depends per residency program. I've actually noticed this too, but more so at the community hospitals... in which residents will do a chief year first, and then go onto GI. At university programs, I noticed that the residents usually go straight to fellowship, if desired. Also, keep in mind that fellowship apps are during R2 year. A lot of residents are hesitant on choosing a fellowship that they're content with at that point... so essentially, they apply later. These residents then fill that extra year by being chiefs.