Chief Residency Required before GI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One thing I'm noticing more and more, as I browse through fellowship matches, is that medicine residents do a chief year first, and then match into GI.

Is this a way to become more competitive before applying to GI?

Or is does GI require that you do a chief year for most fellowships?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a way to become more competitive before applying to GI?

Or is does GI require that you do a chief year for most fellowships?

Doing a chief year does not hurt, but it is certainly not a requirement for obtaining GI fellowships, even at the most competitive of fellowships.

I think it depends per residency program. I've actually noticed this too, but more so at the community hospitals... in which residents will do a chief year first, and then go onto GI. At university programs, I noticed that the residents usually go straight to fellowship, if desired. Also, keep in mind that fellowship apps are during R2 year. A lot of residents are hesitant on choosing a fellowship that they're content with at that point... so essentially, they apply later. These residents then fill that extra year by being chiefs.

Hi,

This is what I had seen too as, this has to be applied later as, due to this thing and as there is a point you mentioned at the end which I dont know now I am knowing this from here.

Thanks!

huh? :wtf: