Child and medical school

#Ndu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to SGU for med school, but live in the states with my family. I have not accepted the offer yet because I feel terrible about leaving my 2 yr old behind. Anyone else been in similar situations pleas share some insight

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to SGU for med school, but live in the states with my family. I have not accepted the offer yet because I feel terrible about leaving my 2 yr old behind. Anyone else been in similar situations pleas share some insight
You obviously considered this when you applied, so you have to remind yourself of the greater good that will come when you are finished. The internet offers many wonderful ways to keep in touch

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you really explored US MD or DO schools? Have you done everything you can to make your application the best it can be for acceptance to a US school?

I would turn down the SGU offer. Try for a US MD or DO school when you have everything ready for your application. After all, if you truly can't get into ANY US school after multiple attempts, SGU will always be there.

Doesn't sound like a very good personal or professional option. I'd follow the advice of @ThoracicGuy or find another alternative in the States. Having a family myself, I don't think this would be a good decision because it is both unreliable and an unnecessary hardship for your child.

It sounds like an awful idea to leave your child behind for a very uncertain future at SGU. You might end up a practicing doctor but you very well might not... how hard did you try to apply in the US?

Wait. Hold up. SGU isn't a bad Caribbean school. It's one of the better ones.
But to the child dilemma... Yeah, I dunno. I'll prolly sound like an idiot but... take the kid with you?

True, it is one of the better ones but it is getting harder and harder for US IMG's in terms of landing a residency spot.

I would not leave my child behind for not a sure thing. I would look into other options like PA if I could not get into a DO school.