Child neurology - top programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilesss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an M2 who is interested in child neurology. I know this is early, but I would appreciate your opinions on the top residency programs in this field. I hear there is a big demand for pediatric neurologists, but I can't find very much information about it.

thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an M2 who is interested in child neurology. I know this is early, but I would appreciate your opinions on the top residency programs in this field. I hear there is a big demand for pediatric neurologists, but I can't find very much information about it.

thanks! :)

I think the "top places" for child neurology are the same as the top places for neurology in general. PM me if you have specific questions about specific programs. In terms of demand, who knows what will happen in the future, perhaps general pediatricians will take over some of the things pediatric neurologists see, I think the demand is "perceived" i.e. waiting a couple months for a pediatric neurologist appointment, . . .and something that is predicted to happen which may or may not happen, most are academic based, i.e. it is hard to find enough cases outside a large population center, so if you like in the middle of nowhere and don't have pediatric neurologists (or pediatric cardiologist) it will look like a shortage but really it is not (may be necessary to move/re-located to a metropolitan area for care), like expecting a town of 10,000 to have a brain surgeon for rare type of anneurysm and then saying there is shortage there. . . not enough patients to begin with. This is my analysis. Usually the field is paid lower than most or all pediatric subspecialties and training is long secondary to trying to mess together basically two very different residencies, i.e. neurology and pediatrics, which can be a disjointing experience.

can those of you who have gone through the process of a residency application for peds neuro give some details about how it works? i'm an m1 with a decent neuro background (multiple pubs) but am interested in peds neuro. should i be developing a strong peds c.v. as well as a strong neuro c.v.? if this is the case, then what should i do to ensure matching at a good peds and neuro program?
i'm being obsessive but i fear that two years will go by and i'll just have a bunch of neuro qualifications without any peds qualifications.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
can those of you who have gone through the process of a residency application for peds neuro give some details about how it works? i'm an m1 with a decent neuro background (multiple pubs) but am interested in peds neuro. should i be developing a strong peds c.v. as well as a strong neuro c.v.? if this is the case, then what should i do to ensure matching at a good peds and neuro program?
i'm being obsessive but i fear that two years will go by and i'll just have a bunch of neuro qualifications without any peds qualifications.
thanks!

Just study hard at this point, do well on boards, do very well in pediatric clerkship, . . . since you are an MS 1 chances are that you will change your mind about specialty, you might be surprised during third year and decide that you want to do ob/gyn or surgery. . . remember if you are ambivalent about child neurology you can just go for the general neurology match i.e. adult neurology and then get a child neurology fellowhship, I think a lot of people take this more practical route as applying for child neurology straight up is a very complicated and daunting procedure. I sent you a PM too.

HI friends, could anyone please enlighten me about the child neurology program in UNI OF VIRGINIA..Is it good?? How is the university atmosphere otherwise? Thanks

University of Kentucky in Lexington is a new child program. Their child neuro leadership is very well respected, and they have an amazing patient population to learn from in Appalachia. I have heard it is non-malignant, with ample elective time. They also have a large, quite good adult neurology program.

I've heard that UCDavis has a good program (MIND institute). They are very good for epilepsy research as well. One of the best program I think is at WashU. Dr. Dodge and Dr. Prensky are well known in the field (from 1967!). :)