SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Child Psychiatry 2017-2018 Cycle

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by hoodwinkd, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Docstar17

Docstar17

Jul 20, 2017
    I have so far: WashU, brookdale, university of buffalo, Cleveland clinic, Hartford hospital
    Looks like it's winding down though with most programs done sending invites !

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MT19871985

MT19871985

Jun 29, 2017
    I can comment on this a bit. A close friend of mine just graduated from UChicago's child psych program. My friend really enjoyed it. Small program, but close knit, and heavy emphasis on teaching. They're growing, and just added a big name (Sucheta Connolly). They have like 8 months of inpatient, both at shiny new inpatient units (Highland Park is currently renovating their inpatient unit). Good diversity of patient load (rich and poor of all backgrounds). Really good lifestyle. Only negative is the driving. For 4 months, you're at Highland Park hospital, which like I said, is renovating their inpatient unit, and is located in probably the richest suburb in Chicago (different from their other unit, which is in the heart of the city), but it's located pretty far from their main campus. If you can handle that for 4 months, then you should be good. Their chairman also seems cool and is pretty involved with AACAP.

rkaz and Haldol Lorazepam like this.
  4. wannabie

wannabie 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2011
    SHOT TOWN
    I disagree. I sent follow-up emails to a number of excellent programs on the east coast last week. Five of the emails were returned immediately with "on vacation until 08-21-2017". Then I had a few follow-up replies on 08-21-2017 saying "we're still reviewing applications".

I can't comment on the quality of the program or the teaching, but it's a TERRIBLE commute --and one I'm very familiar with. The first year is four months at Highland Park Hospital (Highland Park), four months at Lakeshore (Ravenswood), and four months at University of Chicago (Hyde Park)--three places really far from each other. So eight of those months, the commute will probably suck. It's a one hour commute each way..

5. MT19871985

MT19871985

Jun 29, 2017
    I think there are very few days in which you have to drive from one location to another. Lakeshore's children unit is in uptown, right off lake shore drive, not ravenswood. In the morning, it's like 25 to 30 min from lakeshore to UChicago. 40 to 50 min or so in the evening (but that's a rare commute). Chicago is just bad traffic in general, lol. My friend lived in the loop, and it didn't take him long to get to either location. The only commute he complained about was the one to Highland Park. No doubt it's a long one. I remember him saying that he really enjoyed the experience there, though, for those 4 months. He enjoyed his experience during his fellowship. He thought the teaching was good and the faculty was supportive. I can't add much beyond that.

6. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    I got Rush University. Anyone know anything about their program& how it compares to UChicago? Cheers

7. Nerday Shortay

Nerday Shortay Not as cool as you 7+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Not for me yet! They are the only one I waiting on

8. shortringo

shortringo 7+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Anyone hearing from California programs?

9. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    So far I have WashU, UChicago, Rush, MCW, OHSU, UMiami.

10. lantern

lantern 2+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've heard from some. Specifically, I've gotten interviews from Harbor UCLA and UC Irvine.

Does anyone have any insights into how these 2 programs compare. I will likely only be able to attend one, and I would like to make a relative informed choice.

11. medicool

medicool 5+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Is anyone familiar with WVU child psychiatry fellowship?

12. Nerday Shortay

Sep 16, 2009
    Haven't heard from them. I'm assuming it's a no or maybe a "B list" situation at this point, but we'll see. They are the only program I didn't hear from at this point so I'm guessing they already sent their invites when everybody else did.

13. wannabie

wannabie 5+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2011
    SHOT TOWN
    I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. I got the ones I wanted most, but it sucks that I didn't get an invitation at any of my reaches.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. invegalongacting

invegalongacting

Aug 8, 2017
    Thanks for your response. I have not heard from them either. Keep us posted if you hear anything from them.

15. ari202

ari202 2+ Year Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think I'm really liking child psych after I've seen more patients in my 3rd year, is it too late to apply for this application cycle?

16. shortringo

Nov 5, 2010
    If you got your application in tomorrow, then no.

17. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    Just got Stanford today:)

wannabie likes this.
  18. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    Received rejection letters from Vanderbilt and BCH today :/

19. ara96

ara96

Jan 21, 2016
    How many programs are you guys applying to?

20. Nerday Shortay

Sep 16, 2009
    Yes - finally heard from them. They were the last for me.

21. invegalongacting

invegalongacting

Aug 8, 2017
    Congratulation! What interview dates they do?

22. Nerday Shortay

Sep 16, 2009
    They offered me dates in October. I think they started earlier with more local people (from what I've heard) but I'm not sure how many interview days they have total.

invegalongacting likes this.
  23. ara96

ara96

Jan 21, 2016
    Did you guys waive right to see your LOR's?

24. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    I waived at least 2 including the PD letter

25. Haldol Lorazepam

Haldol Lorazepam

Apr 27, 2017
    Any thoughts on Tufts child psych program? How does it compare to other programs in Boston?

26. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any DO's are applying this cycle? Any idea on any DO friendly child psychiatry fellowships on the west coast?

27. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    Was also wondering generally, how many candidates interviewed for fellowship positions?

28. rkaz

rkaz 7+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2008
    If you are in an ACGME psychiatry residency, you should have many options open to get into great fellowships. I received interviews at places (including west coast) which blew my wildest dreams. Believe in what you have to offer and don't sell yourself short.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  29. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks, yeah I am in an ACGME residency.

30. SoulinNeed

SoulinNeed 7+ Year Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Do CAP fellowships ask for your PRITE scores?

31. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Left of Center
    No.

(They don't ask your PDs for them either.)

rkaz likes this.
  32. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    How much did your Step 1 and Step 2 scores come up, if at all?

33. shortringo

Nov 5, 2010
    nope!

34. shortringo

Nov 5, 2010
    Woot! me too! Also, it appears UCSF was waiting for my Step 3 scores, haha.

35. shortringo

Nov 5, 2010
    If we are sending thank you notes in a manila envelope, should we address it to the program coordinator? (I know I could just email and ask, but I hate bothering them with a million questions).

36. rkaz

rkaz 7+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Only took COMLEX. Passed all 3 on first attempt. Was not asked about my board scores at all for fellowship interviews. (The only time it came up was at a couple ACGME programs when applying for RESIDENCY while I was still a med student, as certain faculty didn't know how to interpret the scores... but not since being a 4th year med student.)

37. Docstar17

Docstar17

Jul 20, 2017
    Hi guys any insights on St Louis as a place to live in?

38. rkaz

rkaz 7+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Are any of you still getting interview offers? Just curious if interviews are still being offered to waitlisted candidates, as others drop their spots.

I've been super happy with my interviews thus far, but there are about 2 places I was still hoping to hear from, and wasn't sure if an interview might still be offered or not.

39. hoodwinkd

hoodwinkd 7+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Yep! DO here, though I did not focus on the west coast. No probs with COMLEX or anything related to being a DO along the interview trail

40. hoodwinkd

hoodwinkd 7+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Nothing new for me for the month or so..the latest dates I've come across were for early-mid november so I'd guess we were getting close to end

rkaz likes this.
  41. rkaz

rkaz 7+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Thanks. I actually did get an invite the final week of October, to answer my own question... it's been pretty quiet around here otherwise.

42. ara96

ara96

Jan 21, 2016
    Anyone want to post any reviews of programs?

Not_a_psychic likes this.
  43. Bilboquet

Bilboquet 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2013
    What's the etiquette when it comes to letting a program know that you will be ranking them high if not at the top? Is it taboo? Is there some coded language most people use instead?

44. FuzzyBuzzy

FuzzyBuzzy 2+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Did you guys get any letters or emails from programs expressing their interest in you or indicating they put you on their rank order list (not where on the list, just on the list). I heard that a lot of programs do that and I'm wondering if it's a bad sign I only received one such letter..

45. FuzzyBuzzy

Jul 12, 2013
    I think you can say something like how much you've enjoyed interviewing there and that you could truly "see" yourself be part of their program and would be delighted to match there. I think you technically CAN volunteer to a program that they're your 1 on the ROL but I wouldn't say that to more than one program

Bilboquet likes this.
  46. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    I didn't really send out too many thank you e-mails. Is it too late to do that at this stage letting programs know that I am going to be ranking them highly?

In retrospect, I probably should have sent more Thank you but I did not think it was necessary as it was for Residency Match. Any thoughts?

47. shahseh22

shahseh22

Sep 22, 2017
    I'm getting kind of nervous. I have a program that is closer to my home but brand new and another program that is further away but established. I'm just so torn as to which to rank higher.

48. FuzzyBuzzy

Jul 12, 2013
    I would say rank the one you would feel happier at. The closer we get to the rank deadline the more I realize that we shouldn't have to put up with an income deferment to do a fellowship where we are overworked, burnt out and unhappy! So i'm ranking programs that are more supportive of fellows or so I perceived them to be.

49. FuzzyBuzzy

Jul 12, 2013
    I'm in the same boat especially about one particular program that I liked and realize now I like more than I thought and will rank it #1 or #2 but I didn't send them thank you emails and now I wonder if it's too late :/
    Would be great to hear from current fellows who matched w/o having sent thank you emails/notes

50. leslieknope2

leslieknope2

Aug 2, 2017
    ?

51. truthrules

truthrules

Jan 2, 2018