"Chill" programs - West

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have three fields I'm strongly considering, medicine being one of them as a route to Heme/Onc or ID. I don't like being run into the ground. I don't like malignant programs. I'm allergic to the midwest and the east coast. I've got research, a 240+ Step 1, honors in medicine/fam. med, and come from a top-10 school (for what it's worth). Need a list of programs with decent-to-good reputations to look closely at that would set me up for a fellowship in the same region.

tl;dr: Need a list of programs that meet the following criteria:
-Happy residents with mellow schedules
-West of the Rockies
-Research opportunities
-Good fellowship opportunities in ID/Heme Onc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have three fields I'm strongly considering, medicine being one of them as a route to Heme/Onc or ID. I don't like being run into the ground. I don't like malignant programs. I'm allergic to the midwest and the east coast. I've got research, a 240+ Step 1, and honors in medicine/fam. med. Need a list of programs with decent-to-good reputations to look closely at that would set me up for a fellowship in the same region.

tl;dr: Need a list of programs that meet the following criteria:
-Happy residents with mellow schedules
-West of the Rockies
-Research opportunities
-Good fellowship opportunities in ID/Heme Onc.

stanford. Particuarly good heme/onc.

not sure if any program out west is "chill".

OHSU has a good work life balance.

but, i don't think there any malignant programs out west either. UCSF, UW, and UCLA are kinda known to "work" their residents... but everything is changing with all these work hour restrictions and ACGME stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD is strong in hem/onc and ID. They pulled out of doing inpatient at their real university hospital in La Jolla so they are no longer overworked. The concentrate rotations at the VA and Hillcrest. Intern year is pretty chill because of various work hour restrictions/changes, but their PGY2/3 is tougher. The PD is super nice. And the residents have a pretty good work-life balance, sweet life in SD.

stanford. Particuarly good heme/onc.

Not smart enough. Even if I got in, pretty sure I'd be that kid that fell off the short bus.

not sure if any program out west is "chill".

Elaborate? I know Cali is tough, not at all attached to it.

but, i don't think there any malignant programs out west either. UCSF, UW, and UCLA are kinda known to "work" their residents... but everything is changing with all these work hour restrictions and ACGME stuff.

Right. I guess the problem I have is with programs that have to have their arms twisted that way. UW I'm wary of for the reason you mention. I want the opposite of that, with a good name and research opportunities (and time to pursue them), and laid back colleagues (big, big names tend to attract folks in dire need of a sphincterotomy, in my experience)

UCSD is strong in hem/onc and ID. They pulled out of doing inpatient at their real university hospital in La Jolla so they are no longer overworked. The concentrate rotations at the VA and Hillcrest. Intern year is pretty chill because of various work hour restrictions/changes, but their PGY2/3 is tougher. The PD is super nice. And the residents have a pretty good work-life balance, sweet life in SD.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Lots of chill programs out west. As far as SoCal goes, here are a few...
Scripps Green
Kaiser LA
Cedars Sinai
UC Irvine

I'm not sure what disorder meant by saying there are not chill programs out west....unless he meant competitive to get into

Cottage in Santa Barbara. Went to a conference there: 70 degrees on January 10, saw a polo match, went scuba diving, and got hit on by divorcées at a wine bar. Affiliated with USC; got a brand new hospital too.

Cottage in Santa Barbara. Went to a conference there: 70 degrees on January 10, saw a polo match, went scuba diving, and got hit on by divorcées at a wine bar. Affiliated with USC; got a brand new hospital too.

If you saw a polo match you were asking to be hit on by divorcées.