choice of interview dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greencreek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was given list of interview dates for my fellowship from Dec-Jan for a top-tier program. Again, maybe an old question, is it better to do the interview early, in the middle or late?
Any good thoughts about this?
Thanks a lot.:p

Members don't see this ad.

I was given list of interview dates for my fellowship from Dec-Jan for a top-tier program. Again, maybe an old question, is it better to do the interview early, in the middle or late?
Any good thoughts about this?
Thanks a lot.:p

Having been on a few residency selection committees, it doesn't matter when you interview.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Particularly if you interview early, just take some time to make contact with the program(s) you're interested in as the interview season winds down. Applicants who are liked tend to get marked as such and remembered. We certainly used to. This is a lot easier now with the match software everyone gets. People probably overthink the whole timing-of-interview thing, and you may hear various fairly reasonable arguments going either way. One of the benefits of a match, with no officially "promised"/verified positions, is that timing matters a lot less.

For positions offered outside the match, it's another story. But most people need not be concerned with that.

Hmmm. I think you guys missed that this was a fellowship interview, not residency. Different rules apply to fellowship than residency, as there is no match and the programs can accept someone at any time. I guess my recommendation is to interview earlier, since if they like you enough they may offer you a spot before finishing the interview season, but every program is completely different, so it's difficult to say.

Hmmm. I think you guys missed that this was a fellowship interview, not residency. Different rules apply to fellowship than residency, as there is no match and the programs can accept someone at any time. I guess my recommendation is to interview earlier, since if they like you enough they may offer you a spot before finishing the interview season, but every program is completely different, so it's difficult to say.

OOPS you are right. Definitely interview early.

Yeah, ditto.

Sadly, the fellowship chaos has not yet been resolved -- it's basically a scramble from day 1 of residency to see if you can find a decent place which hasn't filled. Every program has their own preferences, rules, methods, etc., but I agree I'd interview as soon as practical once you feel you have a chance of being accepted (that's mostly a prod at 1st-2nd year residents to have something to back up their application if they want to apply 2~3 years ahead...which, until things change, you should -try- to be prepared to do).