Choose between Hospital, VA, and Retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would ask you guys for advice since I don't know what to do. I will be finishing up P1 in the next few months :D and will be working as an intern during the summer. I have three offers: a regular hospital, the VA hospital, and retail (CVS). I'm not used to having so many choices and was wondering if you guys could at least tell me what the difference is in working at a regular hospital vs. the VA hospital. And for retail, how is CVS? I keep hearing either really good things or really bad things? Is it really that bad or that good? LOL. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine the VA and a regular hospital would involve the same job related activities. I work at a regular hospital and we have a lady that came to work for us from the VA. She stated that the VA was behind the times and was like most government run agencies, slow to respond and not efficient.

I have heard nothing but bad things about CVS. They treat their employee badly and most of the students in my class have gotten new jobs or are looking for another job that have worked for them.

I would suggest working at a hospital because you get IV experience and have more variety of things to do. You just do not fill scripts all day.

I debated this question a year ago and I am glad that I chose hospital. If you do decide on retail, I would try Publix and Target first. They seem to be the retail best to work at my school. Walgreens is not that bad either.

Thanks J DUB, your post was very informative. Can you tell me specifically what bad things have you heard about CVS? I keep asking around in school and half say they love it and half say they don't. It seems to be the same for Walgreens also. So if you think Walgreens is better, can you tell me why? I was surprised that Walgreens doesn't give you a lunch break while CVS does. I am sure there are other differences as well.

I wanted to work at Target, but they will not be able to offer me enough hours.

About hospital and VA, someone advised me to go with VA because they do inpatient and outpatient while hospital only does inpatient... I have heard that it is slower at VA but that regular hospitals are more like technician labor... Man so many differing opinions.

I have heard from some in my class that CVS demands that they work certain hours and are not accomodating to school. They also will not give them extra hours, etc.

It also can depend on management in charge in certain areas too.

I have heard that Walgreens just treats them better in my neck of the woods. Not so demanding, easier to work with, etc.

I would work at the VA or a hospital because I like the variety and think you would learn more. I also make $14.40 - 15.90 on the weekends depending on if I work second shift. I believe the most retail stores pay is around $11-12 unless you been there 4 years. I got a $0.75 raise in the first six months too. Just thought I would mention some compensation factors too because I know I like to work less and make the same money. Gluck on the decision!