Choosing a major...Nursing or Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grendarab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I plan on becoming a Psychiatrist, and I'm having some difficulty choosing a major. I chose psychology, but I had a friend tell me that if psychiatry didn't work out, I'd be left with a major that is essentially useless, while if I went into Nursing, at least then I could become a Psychiatric Nurse.

I've put some research into it, and it seems that college's will chastise me for choosing an "easy" major, although the reason I'm majoring in it is because it correlates with Psychiatry to some extent.

Nursing on the other hand is evidently frowned upon, as if one applies to med school immediately after undergrad, then it shows that the individual had no intention in becoming a nurse, and rather that they may have just used the major as a backup.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I plan on becoming a Psychiatrist, and I'm having some difficulty choosing a major. I chose psychology, but I had a friend tell me that if psychiatry didn't work out, I'd be left with a major that is essentially useless, while if I went into Nursing, at least then I could become a Psychiatric Nurse.

I've put some research into it, and it seems that college's will chastise me for choosing an "easy" major, although the reason I'm majoring in it is because it correlates with Psychiatry to some extent.

Nursing on the other hand is evidently frowned upon, as if one applies to med school immediately after undergrad, then it shows that the individual had no intention in becoming a nurse, and rather that they may have just used the major as a backup.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you ARE using nursing as a backup IMO. Major in something you actually enjoy. Doesn't need to relate to psychiatry.

If you WANT to be a nurse, choose the nursing major. If you want to be a psychiatrist, definitely don't major in nursing. A nursing major is difficult enough without the pre-reqs for medical school thrown in (math, ochem, physics). It's also a completely different skill/knowledge set. A psychiatric nurse is not just a lesser version of a psyciatrist, they are completely different career paths.

Pick your dream career (it sounds like psyciatrist to me) and pursue it 100%, even if that means your best bet will be changing to a biology or chemistry major. You could always go back to nursing school if it doesn't work out. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study what brings you the greatest excitement.

I finished my BS in Psychology this spring and I chose it because I truly love the subject. It was not challenging for me because I like it so much, to the point I would buy the textbooks early in the summer and start reading them as soon as I got them. If it interests you and you feel like you will be happy in it, choose it. A lot of my friends majored in the hard sciences before going to medical school and then told me they wished they had picked Psych instead. As long as you can maintain a good GPA on whatever you choose to do, go ahead and do it. Also, if next year is your first year don't worry about your major so much. Take some of the pre-reqs and intro to psych so you can get a feel for it, maybe you will hate it!

Also, the psychology major is not useless. If you like working with people, trust me, THERE WILL BE WORK FOR YOU! It is a rather versatile major and you can basically get into anything you set your mind into as you will have a scientific background (if your school offers a BS) but you will be well-informed in the inner workings of people. I have been successful attaining several different jobs with my degree and feel confident about using it after college in case I do not get accepted right away.

As for Nursing, I think the other posters were right, don't do it unless you want to be a nurse!

You can PM me with questions about psych degree, I can help you with that.

In my opinion, psychology is a fantastic premed major if you enjoy it (and can get good grades). I, too, want to be a psychiatrist, but I don't think that a psychology major has a lot of overlap (maybe a few classes like abnormal, neuroscience, psychopharm will help). So, major in what you enjoy, but concentrate on getting into med school. Get good grades, take a few extra science classes like biochemistry and genetics, shadow, volunteer, study really hard for the MCAT, apply early and broadly, and you'll get in some where, even if it's a DO program, and even if it takes more than one cycle. Then you can do want you really want to in life.

Reactions: 1 user

Any ideas?
You will be at absolutely no disadvantage in applying to medical school by majoring in psychology.

I will say that upper level biology courses will significantly help you in preparation for the MCAT and medical school. Histology, biochemistry, human anatomy, genetics, cell biology, immunology, etc. I'm not familiar with the exact courses that come with a psych degree, but it WON'T prepare you as much as a hard science degree will. Simply due to rigor. Everyone loves psychology. It's a universal subject. I rarely encounter kids who didn't take the staple "AP psychology" course in high school. If your school has a good program for psychology and you want to pursue psychology then consider a minor.

All that being said, a psychology or nursing degree is "easier" than a biology or chemistry degree. Yes, I suppose that's correct. Most people who enter pharmacy, medical, and dental school major in biology. Admissions might consider this easy factor when considering your overall GPA but your science GPA will still consist of the courses a biology major would take.

I would not do a nursing degree unless you want to become a nurse OR if you think medical school might not work out. A BS in nursing is a guaranteed job.

Make the most of college. Major in whatever you feel best. When I was in school, I didn't complete a minor because I took so many random electives that I wanted to take. As long as you do well in the courses you need to do well in(bio, chem, physics, organic, biochem, calc), you will be fine!

I took Nursing for 3 years before I switched to Exercise Physiology.

Feel free to ask me anything. I will find a post I made for someone who was also considering nursing and will edit here.

A tl;dr:

• My last semester of nursing had a GPA of 2.6, which brought my cGPA down to 3.2. Proceed with caution.
  • The 200 clinical hours I accumulated is nice. And so was being in a hospital 8-16 hours/week, it was great experience.
  • I had to do premed courses over the summer, and my ochem grade reflects that.
  • I did not have time to volunteer, research, or shadow doctors until after I switched majors.

Edit: We had a couple posts on SDN about the nursing-->premed route, and I tend to copy paste my experience. Here is the thread where I originally posted it to, and here is a google docs that is better formatted (since SDN seems to disregard my bullet points...). The same post on imgur, just in case.
Edit 2: Actually, just use the Google Docs one. I will be updating that as I remember stuff throughout the day. Nothing major, everything is already there, but just update my current GPA and goals, etc.

Hope this helps, and again. Feel free to PM me or ask me anything here. :)

Last edited:
I will say that upper level biology courses will significantly help you in preparation for the MCAT and medical school. Histology, biochemistry, human anatomy, genetics, cell biology, immunology, etc. I'm not familiar with the exact courses that come with a psych degree, but it WON'T prepare you as much as a hard science degree will. Simply due to rigor.
Can you prove any of this?
Everyone loves psychology. It's a universal subject. I rarely encounter kids who didn't take the staple "AP psychology" course in high school. If your school has a good program for psychology and you want to pursue psychology then consider a minor.
Well that's nice that you're in a privileged area where all the students come from high schools fortunate enough to offer an AP Psychology course.
All that being said, a psychology or nursing degree is "easier" than a biology or chemistry degree. Yes, I suppose that's correct. Most people who enter pharmacy, medical, and dental school major in biology.
Easier by what metric? People throw claims like this around all the time but without any proof its quite obvious that the rigor a particular program at a particular school is highly variable and cannot be generalized on intuition alone.
Admissions might consider this easy factor when considering your overall GPA but your science GPA will still consist of the courses a biology major would take.
Unlikely.
I would not do a nursing degree unless you want to become a nurse OR if you think medical school might not work out. A BS in nursing is a guaranteed job.
Except that if you legitimately want to do medicine, majoring in nursing will present a needless obstacle (having to explain why, if you're so motivated to become a doctor that you deserve a spot in med school, you're spending your college education learning to play a completely different role in health care...)

Reactions: 1 user
I've been ruminating as to which major to choose the past couple of weeks, and I've made some advancement as to what I want to do in life, and why, but I'm still not entirely certain as to what path to choose. I wouldn't mind psychology, and it seems as though it's the only major I'd really be interested in. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being a Psychiatric Nurse, and if Psychiatry doesn't work out, it would seem like the more logical option. From what I've researched, Psychology again doesn't seem as viable for employment options in comparison to Nursing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_...e-majors-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/

This is what I've obtained for unemployment rates in Psychology, and it seems that it's the highest unemployed major.

I suppose that's what I'm worried about the most, that if Psychiatry doesn't work out, I'm essentially a goner.

Sigh, any advice?

Ty for everyone that has replied. :)

I've been ruminating as to which major to choose the past couple of weeks, and I've made some advancement as to what I want to do in life, and why, but I'm still not entirely certain as to what path to choose. I wouldn't mind psychology, and it seems as though it's the only major I'd really be interested in. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being a Psychiatric Nurse, and if Psychiatry doesn't work out, it would seem like the more logical option. From what I've researched, Psychology again doesn't seem as viable for employment options in comparison to Nursing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_...e-majors-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/

This is what I've obtained for unemployment rates in Psychology, and it seems that it's the highest unemployed major.

I suppose that's what I'm worried about the most, that if Psychiatry doesn't work out, I'm essentially a goner.

Sigh, any advice?

Ty for everyone that has replied. :)

This line from the article should tell you everything you need to know about why it needs to be interpreted with caution:

Five of the college majors with the worst job prospects on this list are related to psychology. Ironically, psychology is the fifth most popular college degree.

I have no idea where they found undergraduate majors in clinical, social, etc. psychology, but essentially anything other than just straight "psychology" at the undergraduate level is going to be an oddball. Of course someone majoring in clinical psychology at the bachelor's level, for example, is going to have a hard time finding the job they want--they're reserved for doctorate holders. I seem to remember looking at the actual study/numbers cited by the article and seeing that the more traditional psychology undergraduate degree has an unemployment rate right in line with most other majors.

From everything I've heard, in the vast majority of cases, your major isn't going to matter, assuming you fulfill all necessary pre-reqs. Keep in mind that if you choose something you hate, it's going to potentially be reflected in poorer grades, which will substantively affecte your chances.

Choose whatever major you would like to study, not because it can act as a backup. Med schools will question your dedication if you show early signs of preparing back ups.

There is a difference between having an open mind to other careers (researching what other careers you could see yourself doing during your undergrad) and actually giving yourself back ups (majoring in Nursing). It's good that you're aware of the obstacles of getting into med school, but don't count yourself out yet by majoring in Nursing.

Keep those back ups in the back of your head, but don't act on them until you've applied for at least 2-3 cycles.

As someone who graduated several years ago. I started off pre-med and life threw me some curve balls and I am extremely grateful for my "useful" major that makes it easy for me to find work. Going into it, I had no intention of using it, I found it interesting. I have friends with history degrees from top 5 lib arts schools working at Barnes and noble. Most people who start off pre-med don't end up per-med. if you have parents who can support you after school if you can't find a job. Go for the more interesting major but coming from experience, things don't always go as planned. Try to find a good balance between useful and interesting.

Grendarab said:

Any ideas?

It seems like you're aware of the dilemma. Practical majors with good starting salaries like engineering and nursing give you the option of a good career if you don't get into medical school. However medical schools want high (3.5+) GPAs that are extremely difficult to get in those majors, but are extremely easy to get in useless majors like psychology. This is one of the many ways that medical school is biased towards the children of the rich: students who don't need to carry student debt don't need to worry about having a back up plan to pay off their loans, so high GPAs are more easily accessible to them. Be aware that if you choose a harder major no one is going to take that into consideration when you get a sub 3.5 GPA.

A good compromise might be a major with some earning potential but a relatively high average GPA. This is a school specific decision but a business major paired with a multi-semester Co-Op is probably a good option. A series of Internships is less ideal, but can work in place of the Co-Op. The best way to maximize your options out of college without sacrificing your GPA is always to get as much work experience as possible. In my opinion every premed needs to have at least two semesters of full time Internship or Co-Op work experience in an actual office (not a research lab). This also gets you a real view of white collar life outside the bubble of medicine.

There does also seem to be a consensus option (which may be wrong) that nursing is particularly looked down on, ostensibly because ADCOMs want to know why you would reject another healthcare career but actually because physicians think about nurses pretty much the same way that that mongooses think about cobras. The word 'nursing' is tied up in every physician's mind with a dozen bad associations that would then be associated with you, regardless of whether you've ever actually worked in the field of nursing. If you want the strongest possible back up plan I would try engineering. Nursing is kind of a miserable field anyway: too many boses and way too many check boxes.

BTW in general I think the worst thing you can do with an undergraduate major is to try to get a head start on the skills they're going to teach you in medical school. Don't do a psychology degree to prepare for psychiatry, your psych rotations and resideny will take care of that. I think that good things for a premed to do with an undergraduate major include:

1) Developing a backup plan: Nursing, engineering, computer science, accounting, statistics, or some form of business. Lots of Internships or a multi-semester co-op a must.

2) Develop tertiary skills for medicine not taught in medical school: Foreign language skills (especially Spanish), basic accounting and business skills, computer skills, and Epidemiology and public health.

3) Develop your sense of culture and have fun: history, theology, anthropology, art, etc.

If you're taking out lots of student loans I recommend plan #1. If you're going to be debt free, or close, plans 2 and 3 are more acceptable but I would still recommend at least 2 semesters of full time work experience.

Last edited:
OP, maybe I can help you with this one. I am a psychology major/philosophy minor and intend to be a psychiatrist. There is some overlap, but mostly psychology and psychiatry are distinctly different. I enjoy my major and all of my professors, but I would say double major with a natural science, that is what I wish I had done.

I was a psych/chem major. I enjoyed it. In retrospect, I would have dropped the chem major and just taken the chem classes I enjoyed rather than the ones necessary to complete the major. However, you don't get to choose in retrospect. I went from biology -> chemistry (hated learning about plants with a passion and had a great gen chem teacher) -> chem + psych (took psychopathology and loved it).

With the inability to know what you'll truly enjoy in advance of doing it, I would recommend going into college taking a diverse set of classes in all the things you think you might be interested in and play the major choice by ear.

OP, this is simple: major in something you are passionate about, this will help you get a high GPA. This is your life after all, enjoy studying what you like

I was a psych/chem major. I enjoyed it. In retrospect, I would have dropped the chem major and just taken the chem classes I enjoyed rather than the ones necessary to complete the major. However, you don't get to choose in retrospect. I went from biology -> chemistry (hated learning about plants with a passion and had a great gen chem teacher) -> chem + psych (took psychopathology and loved it).

With the inability to know what you'll truly enjoy in advance of doing it, I would recommend going into college taking a diverse set of classes in all the things you think you might be interested in and play the major choice by ear.

This in addition to my advice and you'll be golden.:thumbup:

This line from the article should tell you everything you need to know about why it needs to be interpreted with caution:

I have no idea where they found undergraduate majors in clinical, social, etc. psychology, but essentially anything other than just straight "psychology" at the undergraduate level is going to be an oddball. Of course someone majoring in clinical psychology at the bachelor's level, for example, is going to have a hard time finding the job they want--they're reserved for doctorate holders. I seem to remember looking at the actual study/numbers cited by the article and seeing that the more traditional psychology undergraduate degree has an unemployment rate right in line with most other majors.

From everything I've heard, in the vast majority of cases, your major isn't going to matter, assuming you fulfill all necessary pre-reqs. Keep in mind that if you choose something you hate, it's going to potentially be reflected in poorer grades, which will substantively affecte your chances.

As a clinical Psych major I went through a lot of career counseling in my classes as graduation approached and you are pretty on the mark. Basically if you are ClinPsych your career path is to graduate, do research for 2-4 years, and then apply to a PhD or PsyD program. There aren't any real jobs that use your major's skills outside of research.

As for the OPs question, go with what you like. However, why are you so attracted to psychiatry? If you are interested in non-pharmacological therapies then clinical psychology is far more likely to give you that option. Psychiatry is almost entirely based on drug treatment, and based on my conversations with Psychiatrist at my internship, the model of care is leaving far less time to establish a relationship with patients outside of an initial evalutation. If you really want to get to know psych patients, and connect with them on a more personal level then nursing may be a better fit.

EDIT: Looking at the list from the article is anyone else surprised that Biochem has more unemployment than journalism?