choosing a minor..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackarrowmoose

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, ive recently been thinking about what to minor in. Im a science major and i definitely DO NOT want to minor in something science related, im already geeked out as much as it is. I was looking for something either humanities or social sciences related.

Ive considered archaeology, anthropology and some other random options. Anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, ive recently been thinking about what to minor in. Im a science major and i definitely DO NOT want to minor in something science related, im already geeked out as much as it is. I was looking for something either humanities or social sciences related.

Ive considered archaeology, anthropology and some other random options. Anyone have any suggestions?

^^ that's a good one
or even a minor in Spanish or some other language looks good.

Human Complex Systems. Absolutely fun stuff according to my personal experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm probably doing a bio major, Spanish minor. I just hate the fact that I might look "too generic" :mad:

I like religious studies or philosophy minors...lots of reading and critical thinking, which are both valuable additions to an undergrad experience. These departments typically offer courses in ethics (biomedical, religious, etc.), logic, philosophy of mind, science, religion in America, etc... all of which should enhance one's understanding of the human condition, and also might help with MCAT VR.

Anthro should be good in these respects too. Any of these should add some breadth to your app, good luck!

Why don't you just take whatever classes you are interested in? No one cares if you get a minor or not. It's stupid to lock yourself in another program that will undoubtedly have required classes that will be boring/hard. I know that the premed mindset is to not do anything unless it will end up somewhere on your application, but a minor is extremely insignificant.

Do whatever you like.

My minors were theater studies and history.

Is there one thing that interests you a bit more but is second best to your major? Do that. Thinking back on it, I wish I would've been a foreign language major or something to that degree, with a minor in bio or something.
A language can always do a person some good.

Why don't you just take whatever classes you are interested in? No one cares if you get a minor or not. It's stupid to lock yourself in another program that will undoubtedly have required classes that will be boring/hard. I know that the premed mindset is to not do anything unless it will end up somewhere on your application, but a minor is extremely insignificant.

seriously. take classes that seem interesting - and if they actually are interesting for you, then take more.

does amcas even ask about minors? i forget. adcoms do read your course listings and will see all the other courses you've taken - i was asked about some of them at interviews - can't recall any questions like "so, how about that theatre minor??"

i signed up for my minor pretty close to the deadline senior year, when it was pointed out to me that i only needed one more course to complete it - and i was going to take that course anyway.

This. +1

Whatever you think is fun, or whatever you're close to. At my school a chem minor is gen chem I/II, organic chem I/II, and 2 upper level classes (one of which I've already taken.) I think I might minor in chemistry just because I'm so close to it.

Last edited:
Just by reading the title, I thought you were an aspiring pedophile.

But at any rate, I chose to minor in chem since I will have already taken Gen Chem I and II and organic I and II. Might as well take the extra few classes to minor in it...

Do whatever you're interested in. Spanish is probably the most "usefull" minor you can have. But anthro is hella interesting. :)

I second the Spanish and Anthro minor ideas. I also feel like a minor in philosophy or ethics could be interesting as well.

I second the Spanish and Anthro minor ideas. I also feel like a minor in philosophy or ethics could be interesting as well.

If I had time for a minor, I'd probably minor in phil. interesting stuff

And it's almost unanimously the easiest thing to major/minor in at college.

What about comm major/minor?

After giving it more thought, I'd be a comm minor so I could take classes with all the hot blonde freshmen.