choosing a postback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosomali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I've completed 5 yrs of undergrad and applying for Med Schools in for 2010. My gpa isn't going to knock any socks off, and i'm sitting for my mcat in august.

Now, i'm considering to apply to a postbacc/smp/masters program so that I don't waist a year doing nothing. A friend of mine went to PCOM completed the masters of science program and is now attending medical school this fall. My question is, do you guys think it makes a difference if one chooses to do the physician assistant program over say the forensic science program? And then more than likely apply for med schools after completion of the program?

let me know what you guys think
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short. I've completed 5 yrs of undergrad and applying for Med Schools in for 2010. My gpa isn't going to knock any socks off, and i'm sitting for my mcat in august.

Now, i'm considering to apply to a postbacc/smp/masters program so that I don't waist a year doing nothing. A friend of mine went to PCOM completed the masters of science program and is now attending medical school this fall. My question is, do you guys think it makes a difference if one chooses to do the physician assistant program over say the forensic science program? And then more than likely apply for med schools after completion of the program?

thanks

I would do the same thing your friend did and do a master's program at a place like PCOM that gets your foot in the door.

thanks

Ummm... quote me wrong if I am, but physician assistant is a pretty damn competetive school to get into... some even say as much as MD/DO. Plus, that is 2 years (or longer depending on the school) that leads to a career... not a stepping stone. Plus, it's a certificate program for most schools unless you get a Masters program in conjunction with the PA program... the PA program is not a Masters in and of itself so that really doesn't serve the purpose that you're trying to use it for. It's NOT simply put in an app and get started. You should really reconsider that option if PA is what you really meant to say and didn't put the wrong degree path... it's not a cake walk.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm... quote me wrong if I am, but physician assistant is a pretty damn competetive school to get into... some even say as much as MD/DO. Plus, that is 2 years (or longer depending on the school) that leads to a career... not a stepping stone. Plus, it's a certificate program for most schools unless you get a Masters program in conjunction with the PA program... the PA program is not a Masters in and of itself so that really doesn't serve the purpose that you're trying to use it for. It's NOT simply put in an app and get started. You should really reconsider that option if PA is what you really meant to say and didn't put the wrong degree path... it's not a cake walk.

PA programs award different degree types (Certificate, Bachelors, Masters); however, most award a masters degree (or are moving in that direction). This is not a program to be used as a stepping stone though, especially as this takes a seat away from a person who WANTS to be a PA, not someone who WANTS to be a DO/MD, but wanted to bump up their GPA. While some (a few on here even) become a PA and then decide to further there education I think that is a minority among PAs.

Do a post-bacc or SMP at a medical school. Do research in the Post-bacc forum as they have statistics about how many of the students at particular programs get into med school the next year, etc.

OP, check out the Postbac forum as well for other views.

PA programs award different degree types (Certificate, Bachelors, Masters); however, most award a masters degree (or are moving in that direction).

Most of the PA programs I was researching when I thought about doing this offered a Masters route where you could get a masters along with your certificate, IF you did extra classes and paid the extra fees. The Masters wasn't part of the actual PA program itself... it was something that you would elect to have to do and would have to do the extra work. Now granted I didn't look at every PA program but that was the case with the majority that I did look at. That was how several CC's were sponsering PA programs and able to grant Masters... through affiliations. Now things may have changed in the past year or two, but that's how it was. Point being, PA is not really a realistic post Bacc track unless you want to become a PA. Sure, PA's sometimes change their mind and aspire higher but PA is definitely not a stepping stone to MD/DO...

thanks

I know LECOM has a 1yr program. You could call admissions to find out more. Best of luck to you!!

Most of the PA programs I was researching when I thought about doing this offered a Masters route where you could get a masters along with your certificate, IF you did extra classes and paid the extra fees. The Masters wasn't part of the actual PA program itself... it was something that you would elect to have to do and would have to do the extra work. Now granted I didn't look at every PA program but that was the case with the majority that I did look at. That was how several CC's were sponsering PA programs and able to grant Masters... through affiliations. Now things may have changed in the past year or two, but that's how it was. Point being, PA is not really a realistic post Bacc track unless you want to become a PA. Sure, PA's sometimes change their mind and aspire higher but PA is definitely not a stepping stone to MD/DO...

I guess it just depends on where you look. I was seriously considering PA 2 yrs ago, but I only looked at masters programs--esp b/c all of the PA programs in my state only awarded a masters degree, so that is where I went on the tours and info sessions.

We obviously agree that doing a PA program is a poor post-bacc option for the OP. :)

I guess it just depends on where you look. I was seriously considering PA 2 yrs ago, but I only looked at masters programs--esp b/c all of the PA programs in my state only awarded a masters degree, so that is where I went on the tours and info sessions.

We obviously agree that doing a PA program is a poor post-bacc option for the OP. :)

If you're from back east then that would make total sense because I really didn't look at all back east.. only west and South.

And yes, we DEFINITELY agree that's a bad post bacc idea :cool:

Something else to keep in mind that I haven't seen anyone mention is some adcoms don't like to admit PA's or Nurses to medical school because they know there is a drastic shortage in those professions so they want professionals with that training to continue to practice. Again, this is something I heard, it may or may not be true (although it makes sense to me). I would definitely get a masters of science... and don't feel limited in pursuing that. I have a friend whose going to University of Arkansas med school and wants to pursue an infectious disease speciality. She got her masters in food science from the U of A, and then applied to medical school.