Choosing a Program for Next Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imrandrew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stuck between two programs to do for next summer, and I would love any input y'all can give me. Thanks in advance!

1. A prestigious biomedical research program at a medical school for the entire summer period
-won't stand out as much...everyone does research
2. 6-week long program where I will travel across the country and serve the disabled community in summer camps
-more tiring
-can't be home for summer
-leaves an awkward time between school ending and this program where I can't really do anything productive

While the research program is cool, I feel like it doesn't stand out as much as my second option, which a friend of mine has done and has told me that it is life changing and amazing. From a more selfish point of view, the altruism of the second option would definitely stand out and would be something I could talk about in interviews and essays. However, I feel like the first option is still very amazing because I will do a lot of hands on work and get good recommendation letters.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Which one would you rather do? Nothing makes or breaks an application. Neither of those is going to get you into a medical school. Everyone has research and everyone has basic volunteering like that one seems to be. When you look at all the aspects of an application - GPA/MCAT, LORs, Essays, Interviews, and Extracurriculars - you really see that this decision makes up less than 1% of your total application. You need research and volunteering so either way you are getting some of that.

So just pick the one that you would rather do. Given the points you make, it seems like you want to do the research much more.

Reactions: 1 user
is the research program a paid internship?

have you already been accepted? it seems early, I've found most research programs have deadlines around January

Thanks guys for the fast reply. Yes, I would rather do the research because then I would get to stay home and be with my family. And I got accepted last year and, after talking to the director, he said he would leave the spot open for me if I choose to do it again.

Ndafife, awesome. I think I'm gonna do research and do what I really want to do. Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user