choosing a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemistryteacher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming MS1 so I'll start with the obvious disclaimer that I have no idea what it's like to practice in any specialty, but I'm in my mid-thirties with a previous career and that's given me some pretty specific ideas about what I want my life to look like.

What's important:
  • Support for my military career. The Army Reserve will eventually call me up for 3+ months and I need a practice model where that won't create undue disruption.
  • Lifestyle during residency. No surgical specialties, no 80-100+ hour weeks. I understand intern year will be tough no matter what, but I have a family and I'd like to keep it that way.
  • No relocation for residency. We live in a fairly large metro area in the Midwest with lots of residency programs nearby, and it's more important to me that we stay in our community than that I get into a particular program or a specific specialty.
  • Time off and/or flexible scheduling: I taught high school for over 10 years, and I'm used to working ~190 days a year. I could see working part-time year round, but I'd probably be happier working 40-60 hour weeks but with lots of vacation time.
What's unimportant:
  • Pay and benefits. I will be getting loan repayment and health insurance through the Army, plus enough of a baseline income from my Reserve commitment to pay my bills. I'm used to living on teacher pay and I don't have expensive tastes.
I'm considering going IM and stringing together locum tenens hospitalist gigs ranging from a few weeks to a month each. I'm also interested in direct primary care, which would give me a bit more control over how busy I am in general but perhaps less control over which specific days and hours I'm working. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be very, very, very hard to find a job that meets your criteria.
Thanks--I would have guessed as much, which is why I'm trying to get this figured out well before I start clinicals. Hoping to hear a success story from someone with similar goals--maybe someone who's alternating locum work with time off, or maybe someone who's employed but negotiated a large quantity of vacation time in exchange for a salary reduction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Locum work is not a good long-term idea. There is a reason that they can't find someone to work there full time. Sorry I don't have more to add.

OP why didn't you stick with being a chemistry teacher? Honestly, this career is going to disappoint you with those aspirations.

Hospitalist work could potentially fit your needs. I am a part time hospitalist at a large academic hospital who works 135 days/year and the rest is vacation. It is great. The only issue is that our schedules are set many months in advance and changing them is a huge pain. Depending on how much lead time the Army Reserve gives you before calling you up, this may or may not be an issue.

I agree that locums work will not fit your needs, as locums positions can be anywhere in the country and require travel flexibility.

Take a look at the book "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty" - I found it helpful when I was in your shoes.

Reactions: 1 user