Choosing An Undergraduate School

orthoboy6969

Reaction score
I'm a rising senior in high school, with a serious intention of pursuing medical school after college. I'll cut right to the chase, should I go to a less competitive school and excel there or go to the best school I can? Is premed really that different from school to school? Please Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Go somewhere where you will be happy and where there are good opportunities for ECs (volunteering that you are interested in, research available if that's your thing, clubs that you're passionate about). Look at the majors a school offers and make sure they have ones you like if you want something outside of bio/chem/psych. Obviously it's important to do well in school, but if you get into a top undergrad it is because they believe you are capable of excelling there. Whether you do or not is up to you. It's more important to find an environment that fits you.

I go to a less competitive school and excel there or go to the best school I can?
Really depends on the "best" school(s) in question. Being average at a place like Brown will get you a bunch of A- marks and leave you plenty competitive for MD admissions. If you're average at a place like Hopkins you'll be weeded right out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter. Just choose a place you like. Then take advantage of all they have to offer while there.

I’m in the same position. If I don’t chose to go to the “best” pre med undergrad program such as Urbana, what do I look for in a college? I’m currently looking at schools like Benedictine University, Illinois Wesleyan and Bradley university. From what I’ve heard they all have strong science programs but how do I know if they have a good pre Med track? I prefer schools that have more of a collaborative atmosphere than a competitive one.

I’m in the same position. If I don’t chose to go to the “best” pre med undergrad program such as Urbana, what do I look for in a college? I’m currently looking at schools like Benedictine University, Illinois Wesleyan and Bradley university. From what I’ve heard they all have strong science programs but how do I know if they have a good pre Med track? I prefer schools that have more of a collaborative atmosphere than a competitive one.

It's hard to say. If possible, try to talk to premeds there and see what they have to say about the classes and how aggressively people get weeded out, that's typically what makes people competitive. If you can find out professor names, you could try reading some reviews on ratemyprofessor or whatever other sites those schools have but you have to take those with a grain of salt, usually people only feel inclined to post if they had a terrible time lol. Otherwise, look for schools that have good opportunities for volunteering and research or any other unique activities that you'd like to be involved in. Most premed programs aren't that different from each other so honestly just try to find somewhere where you'll be happy because that'll make it easier to get through everything else.