Choosing between schools...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khouse

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Maryland resident and I have offers from University of Maryland, George Washington and Georgetown.....anyone have any advice or know of positives/negatives about any of these schools? I had positive impressions of all schools at the interviews, but I've read many negative posts about both GW and Georgetown. Anyone have any experiences to share or know students who are happy/unhappy at any of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Go to UMaryland, it's a good school and you'll save on tuition. I don't think it's worth it to pay more to go to Georgetown or GW over UM unless you really like the area.

I say UMD all the way. This is a lot like the UVA vs. GU, GWU thread a while back.

Members don't see this ad :)
go umd.

solid school and cheaper than the rest of the schools you have up there. unless you have a strong desire to do ortho which georgetown does a good job matching at....then umd all the way.

umd. public education all the way!! :D

Khouse,

You may want to look at the individual programs offered there and the ups and downs of those programs as well as what you would like to do when you get out of medical school for residency before you decide what school you go to. For instance, if you want to do research while in med school, I believe Georgetown is bigger on research than GeorgeWashington, while GW is bigger on producing clinical physicians than Georgetown. So take everything into consideration and also the area and where you'd be the happiest at.

Good luck and all the best.

Originally posted by gujuDoc
I believe Georgetown is bigger on research than GeorgeWashington, while GW is bigger on producing clinical physicians than Georgetown.

Georgetown's third year curriculum provides very rigorous clinical training, perhaps more so than GW's. But GW is right at the Metro station while getting around Georgetown can be more difficult. That said, when you consider the cost differential beyond tuition alone, living in DC is also quite expensive vis-a-vis Baltimore.

OP -- can you contact current students at all of these schools by way of the admissions office? They might have a list of students who attended your alma mater.

UMD is higher on the research rankings than either of the other programs and I think just based on personal observation that UMD has more research opportunities than either of the other two. Further, don't choose a med school based on residency program or matchlist because you'll probably change your mind about what residency you want anyways.

I agree with everyone else, go to UMD.

Good luck!