• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Choosing between schools...advice?

khouse

15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
Maryland
    I'm a Maryland resident and I have offers from University of Maryland, George Washington and Georgetown.....anyone have any advice or know of positives/negatives about any of these schools? I had positive impressions of all schools at the interviews, but I've read many negative posts about both GW and Georgetown. Anyone have any experiences to share or know students who are happy/unhappy at any of these schools?

About the Ads

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 21, 2004
    1. Medical Student
    2. Resident [Any Field]
      Khouse,

You may want to look at the individual programs offered there and the ups and downs of those programs as well as what you would like to do when you get out of medical school for residency before you decide what school you go to. For instance, if you want to do research while in med school, I believe Georgetown is bigger on research than GeorgeWashington, while GW is bigger on producing clinical physicians than Georgetown. So take everything into consideration and also the area and where you'd be the happiest at.

Good luck and all the best.

essbe

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 8, 2003
        Originally posted by gujuDoc
        I believe Georgetown is bigger on research than GeorgeWashington, while GW is bigger on producing clinical physicians than Georgetown.

Georgetown's third year curriculum provides very rigorous clinical training, perhaps more so than GW's. But GW is right at the Metro station while getting around Georgetown can be more difficult. That said, when you consider the cost differential beyond tuition alone, living in DC is also quite expensive vis-a-vis Baltimore.

OP -- can you contact current students at all of these schools by way of the admissions office? They might have a list of students who attended your alma mater.

Neuronix

Total nerd
        Staff member
        Administrator
        Volunteer Staff
        Verified Expert
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 14, 2002
        the beach
        1. Attending Physician
          UMD is higher on the research rankings than either of the other programs and I think just based on personal observation that UMD has more research opportunities than either of the other two. Further, don't choose a med school based on residency program or matchlist because you'll probably change your mind about what residency you want anyways.

I agree with everyone else, go to UMD.

Good luck!

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.