Choosing between teaching and dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cas123_

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m a freshman in college, currently in my second semester, and I just don’t really know exactly what I want to do. Originally I wanted to become a lawyer and was a criminal justice major first semester, after shadowing lawyers I realized how bored I would be in that profession. Then after shadowing a few dentists, I thought I’d enjoy something like that and that obviously the money is good. So end of my first semester, I switched to a chemistry major on the pre dental track. I’m in some bio classes now and find it okay, but the more I thought about dentistry and realized how repetitive and not emotionally impacting it is, my interest in kind of started to fade and I thought to myself how much I’d love teaching . I’ve always loved being in school and genuinely love teaching people, especially math. Anytime in high school if I noticed someone struggling next to me, I’d immediately go and help them without them asking anything because I genuinely wanted to. I believe a teachers impact and role is so much more vital that what society thinks and that they obviously have so much impact on shaping a child. So now, I’m torn. I kind of want to switch to a math major next semester and get an MAT later on to get certified and maybe teach abroad in third world countries but the only thing making me conflicted about going for teaching instead of dentistry is obviously the pay. I know I’d live more comfortably later on if I chose dentistry and eventually I’ll end up liking it after being immersed in it for so long. But I just need some advice. And if I switch to math next semester (first semester of sophomore year) and maybe dont find that as interesting anymore, if I go back to pre dental in my second semester of sophomore year, would it be too late ?
Looking forward to hearing everyone’s advice

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry isn't a back up plan. It is a very serious decision to go to dental school when you're talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it. This will impact you more ways than you can imagine right now. If you're not ALL in for dentistry, working long hours, spending years continuing learn to get better/more efficient, then it's not the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think you need to do more soul searching before you commit to anything. You still have a lot of time being that you’re still a freshmen. I didn’t even start my predental requirements until my junior year. Maybe see if you can take up a TA role and see how that impacts you. Money isn’t everything, and dentistry is an incredibly expensive decision like D1Bound said. You’ve gotta give it your all or just move on. It’s too much money to invest in yourself if you don’t think you’ll like it. Teaching is a very fulfilling career and it can pay relatively well after a while. So do what you love, the money will follow.

You also don’t need to be a bio major to be pre-dental. If you love math, do that and just take the required prerequisites. Besides, being a non-bio major may even look more favorably by admissions since it’s not the normal major by most pre-dents.

Good luck and enjoy your journey!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a D1 and I student taught last year getting my M. Ed. Like you, I wanted to be a teacher, but there's a lot of things that are huge problems within education that are out of your control. It was really easy to switch to and apply to dental school because I was a bio major and had pretty much all of the prereqs. I'd say to try teaching and see if you enjoy it; and if not you can use it as an experience for going into dentistry and it kinda makes you unique as well.

Reactions: 1 user
When you have many likes but don't know which one is your favorite. You just need to give yourself some time to understand what you actually need to do and what you love to do.
And each one of these professions can be a great decision if you do it full of love and faith. But it is up to you what profession ( teacher, dentist, or even a lawyer) you want to choose. But after selecting the profession make sure, to be honest with it so you can enjoy what you are doing.

Reactions: 1 user