Conflicted between Tufts and UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thbetold

Reaction score
Hi all, I've had the privilege of receiving 5 acceptances but need a bit of help with deciding between these two schools. I know people say it's best to enroll in the cheapest dental program, however, I feel that it isn't that simple. For context, I'm OOS for both of these schools but Tufts is closer to me (about 45 minutes away vs. UNE being 2.5 to 3 hours away).

From an analytical point, it does makes more sense to choose UNE (pass/fail, a bit cheaper, no specialties so their program is clinically strong, cheaper cost of living, etc.) But I also had the opportunity to visit Tufts 3 times and I love how diverse it is and I know I'll have a sense of community (especially since it is a larger class..) They also have all of the specialties which is nice because I'm not sure if I want to specialize, so it'll be good to have exposure to everything in dentistry. And most importantly, my support system is close by. I know that Boston is a really expensive area to live in though... so I’m thinking of catching the train to and from school everyday. Also, completely random but the anatomy lab for UNE is a 30+ minute drive from the campus which is strange…

I'd appreciate any advice. I feel very conflicted because yes UNE is cheaper, but I feel that I might enjoy the experience at Tufts a little more

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I've had the privilege of receiving 5 acceptances but need a bit of help with deciding between these two schools. I know people say it's best to enroll in the cheapest dental program, however, I feel that it isn't that simple. For context, I'm OOS for both of these schools but Tufts is closer to me (about 45 minutes away vs. UNE being 2.5 to 3 hours away).

From an analytical point, it does makes more sense to choose UNE (pass/fail, a bit cheaper, no specialties so their program is clinically strong, cheaper cost of living, etc.) But I also had the opportunity to visit Tufts 3 times and I love how diverse it is and I know I'll have a sense of community (especially since it is a larger class..) They also have all of the specialties which is nice because I'm not sure if I want to specialize, so it'll be good to have exposure to everything in dentistry. And most importantly, my support system is close by. I know that Boston is a really expensive area to live in though... so I’m thinking of catching the train to and from school everyday. Also, completely random but the anatomy lab for UNE is a 30+ minute drive from the campus which is strange…

I'd appreciate any advice. I feel very conflicted because yes UNE is cheaper, but I feel that I might enjoy the experience at Tufts a little more
how much is "a bit cheaper"?

how much is "a bit cheaper"?

So I just used the figures on UNE’s website and found that the total would be roughly $459,280 for 4 years. For Tufts, if I stay in RI and commute it will be roughly $475,000 for the 4 years. However, if I’m unable to commute and have to live in Boston, I’ll try to find roommates.

I’m also looking into NHSC, PSLF and other options for loan repayment!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just used the figures on UNE’s website and found that the total would be roughly $459,280 for 4 years. For Tufts, if I stay in RI and commute it will be roughly $475,000 for the 4 years. However, if I’m unable to commute and have to live in Boston, I’ll try to find roommates.

I’m also looking into NHSC, PSLF and other options for loan repayment!
the first 2 years it's going to be tough to commute, you may need to spend late nights in lab or study groups
how late does the train run and is it safe?

I agree with @macsak I think you will find it challenging to commute your D1 & D2 years. I would factor living in Boston for the 1st 2-years with roommates. Tuft will probably cost closer to $525,000 (25k/year CoL) with roommates for 2 years. If you can commute the last two years, there would be roughly a $55k difference between tufts & UNE. If you live in Boston for all 4 years, you would probably be looking at +$100k more going to tufts over UNE.

If you are able to do the NHSC, then for sure do the one that you want to live at lol. But I don't think you will find that out until after January 15th correct?

Honestly, if you think you would be much happier at Tufts and it feels like a better fit, I would choose it. Especially if you don't think you would enjoy living in UNE for 4 years. For me the extra $13.5k per year would be worth being in a happier, more enjoyable environment for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
the first 2 years it's going to be tough to commute, you may need to spend late nights in lab or study groups
how late does the train run and is it safe?

From what my brother and friends told me it’s pretty safe, they normally catch the train during late hours and haven’t run into any issues. But if it gets difficult I’ll probably look into relocating somewhere outside of Boston like the Somerville area (which is only about 25 minutes from the school) :)

I agree with @macsak I think you will find it challenging to commute your D1 & D2 years. I would factor living in Boston for the 1st 2-years with roommates. Tuft will probably cost closer to $525,000 (25k/year CoL) with roommates for 2 years. If you can commute the last two years, there would be roughly a $55k difference between tufts & UNE. If you live in Boston for all 4 years, you would probably be looking at +$100k more going to tufts over UNE.

If you are able to do the NHSC, then for sure do the one that you want to live at lol. But I don't think you will find that out until after January 15th correct?

Honestly, if you think you would be much happier at Tufts and it feels like a better fit, I would choose it. Especially if you don't think you would enjoy living in UNE for 4 years. For me the extra $13.5k per year would be worth being in a happier, more enjoyable environment for 4 years.

Thank you for your comment! I’m going to try commuting for the first semester and see how it goes. If I need to, then I will look into getting a place near the school (preferably in Somerville or another city).

Yes, I believe I am suppose to hear after January 15th. Hopefully all goes well! If not, I will reapply next year or look into PSLF!