Choosing Between Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebeav007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about choosing between UT Houston, San Antonio and Galveston? They all have similar reputations but are there things that you guys are looking at to help sway your decision one way or another? I feel pretty equally between these and am having trouble deciding... Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this link

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Its a link to the different class of 2011 threads and you should be able to find the various threads on these schools and see some of the discussion that is going on.

However, if i were you, i'd go galveston.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not under the impression that UTSA is on the same level reputation-wise as UTMB or UTH, but feel free to flame if that's not a widespread opinion.

As for UTMB vs. UTH, here's how I see it:

UTMB >> UTH in preclinical -- better curriculum, more relaxed, much, much better step 1 scores

UTH >> UTMB in clinical -- it is the TMC, after all. Plus, UTMB is really struggling to keep up their patient population (hence their continuing shift to med education in Austin, both students and residents). And UTH's match list is seems to be a step ahead of UTMB's.

Finally, Houston >> Galveston.

If I had to choose, I pretty sure I'd go with UTH, even with the major downside of the preclinical curriculum and the low board scores that seem to go with it.

I'm not under the impression that UTSA is on the same level reputation-wise as UTMB or UTH, but feel free to flame if that's not a widespread opinion.

UTMB >> UTH in preclinical -- better curriculum, more relaxed, much, much better step 1 scores

UTH >> UTMB in clinical -- it is the TMC, after all. Plus, UTMB is really struggling to keep up their patient population (hence their continuing shift to med education in Austin, both students and residents). And UTH's match list is seems to be a step ahead of UTMB's.

If I had to choose, I pretty sure I'd go with UTH, even with the major downside of the preclinical curriculum and the low board scores that seem to go with it.

word... but heres the kicker....

going to utmb and then doing rotations in the TMC FTMFW!!!!

So where are you seeing that UT-H's match is a step above UTMB?

So where are you seeing that UT-H's match is a step above UTMB?

word... i would also like to know... b/c i compared the two and they both matched some of the top residency spots. seemed pretty equal to me?

word... i would also like to know... b/c i compared the two and they both matched some of the top residency spots. seemed pretty equal to me?

I didn't do anything quantatively, it just seemed they had more out-of-state matches at university programs over the past few years (and fewer matches to community programs in Texas). Could be self-selection--the institution attracting/breeding folks who want that. Could be indicative of better reputation/training/connections.

If someone wants to do a numerical tally and prove me right/wrong, that'd actually be pretty cool. ;)

one thought on this: utmb only recently had a jump in step 1 scores, likely the match list will change based on the increased average. only time will tell, but keep that in mind.

USMLE%20Step%201.jpg

I'm not real sure where you got this impression, because, of the schools in TX, UTSA ranks 4th (behind Baylor, UTSW, and UTMB) for NIH funding. Also, University Hospital consistently ranks in the top 15 teaching hospitals in the country (I don't think Sealy was ranked anywhere near there.)

I wouldn't necessarily say "UTMB >> UTH," but I would tend to agree with you that UTMB > UTH in preclinical. I think that UTH and UTSA are about the same in preclinical.

I agree with both of these statements, however, I, personally would rank San Antonio > Houston >> Galveston for location. I would rank UTH >> UTSA >> UTMB for clinical.

If I were accepted to all three, I would probably have a hard time choosing between UTSA and UTH, but would probably go with UTSA. If you really like Galveston (the city) for some reason, then I would consider Galveston, but I, personally, think Galveston is disgusting.

Any thoughts among UTHSCSA, TX A&M, and Tech?

Tech = Lubbock. Done.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm biased, because my wife's from SA, but I just can't imagine picking TX A & M or Tech over UTHSCSA. Also, in response to the post above... I think UTHSCSA has some of the best clinical experience of any med school in TX. That program in Harlingen looks waaaaaaay cool. I can't wait to jump into it. One final note. If you have interest in using/learning Spanish as a doc, I think SA kicks a$$ over the other choices too. My $.02

Without a doubt, UTSA is a cut above A&M and Tech, for reasons that I (and others) have previously listed. Between A&M and Tech, they both have their plusses and minuses. A&M has the better location (had I been accepted to A&M, I would've tried to do all 4 years in Temple) but both require you to move after 2 years. While College Station and Temple might be a bit boring (actually, I was pleasantly surprised by College Station,) they are cheaper, safer, and more centrally located than Lubbock, Amarillo, or El Paso. On the other hand, if you are looking to do surgery, doing your 3rd and 4th years at Tech Amarillo will get you excellent experience becuase they have no surgery residencies there, so you are not competing with residents for doctors' time. Overall clinical facilities are WAY better at Scott & White, but I don't think you will get anywhere near the diversity of pathology that you will see in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio in either College Station/Temple or Lubbock/Amarillo/El Paso (Maybe in El Paso.)

What about TAM = College Station. Not that exciting either.
Let's back off College Station, shall we? Have you lived there? No. It's really not that bad. Plus it's not that long of a drive to Austin or Houston... Lubbock.. yeah that's in the middle of nowhere... no thanks :thumbdown:

Personally I'm not interested in TAMU because of the split... I've been living like a gypsy for awhile and I'd rather not move again.

Of TAMU, TT and UTSA - UTSA is your best bet as far as living conditions go though I'd say Scott and White is a pretty impressive place to do your clinicals.

Let's back off College Station, shall we? Have you lived there? No. It's really not that bad. Plus it's not that long of a drive to Austin or Houston... Lubbock.. yeah that's in the middle of nowhere... no thanks :thumbdown:

Personally I'm not interested in TAMU because of the split... I've been living like a gypsy for awhile and I'd rather not move again.

Of TAMU, TT and UTSA - UTSA is your best bet as far as living conditions go though I'd say Scott and White is a pretty impressive place to do your clinicals.

It's not that bad, but it's not at the level of San Antonio/Houston/DFW areas. You won't get exposure to so many diverse populations/pathologies there as you will in the big cities.

It's not that bad, but it's not at the level of San Antonio/Houston/DFW areas. You won't get exposure to so many diverse populations/pathologies there as you will in the big cities.
Clinicals aren't in CS though; they're in Temple. And Scott & White is pretty damn impressive.

But I agree... if you want really bizarre pathologies I suggest UTSA and do your clinicals in Harlingen... I promise you you'll get some amazing clinical experiences down there (few residents) and some odd pathologies (I've seen some freaky stuff and I'm not even in the hospital).

(I was under the impression we were talking about living conditions and that's what I meant by let's back off College Station. If you haven't lived there then you really don't know the full extent of stuff to do there.)

Clinicals aren't in CS though; they're in Temple. And Scott & White is pretty damn impressive.

But I agree... if you want really bizarre pathologies I suggest UTSA and do your clinicals in Harlingen... I promise you you'll get some amazing clinical experiences down there (few residents) and some odd pathologies (I've seen some freaky stuff and I'm not even in the hospital).

(I was under the impression we were talking about living conditions and that's what I meant by let's back off College Station. If you haven't lived there then you really don't know the full extent of stuff to do there.)

:) No, I wasn't talking about living conditions at all, but about the level of exposure one might get in their hospitals.

They both seem similar to me, despite the rankings. Which one would you choose?

Personally, I'd go with UTSW. Although the TMC is tempting, dealing with the headaches of turf-wars b/t BCM and UTH would get old. UTSW is a solid school in a great city (imo) and should provide you with great opportunities come match time.

Can't really go wrong with either one, though.

well, here is a tip to help you decide. before rolling started i made a pro and con list of all the schools, and i could not even narrow it down. then i got accepted to a few schools and it all felt the same. BUT when i received UTSW i almost threw up all over myself in excitement. ....i got so full of joy i knew i couldn't go anywhere else. when you opened your acceptance letter (or email) which one got you sickly excited?

well, here is a tip to help you decide. before rolling started i made a pro and con list of all the schools, and i could not even narrow it down. then i got accepted to a few schools and it all felt the same. BUT when i received UTSW i almost threw up all over myself in excitement. ....i got so full of joy i knew i couldn't go anywhere else. when you opened your acceptance letter (or email) which one got you sickly excited?

I didn't do anything quantatively, it just seemed they had more out-of-state matches at university programs over the past few years (and fewer matches to community programs in Texas). Could be self-selection--the institution attracting/breeding folks who want that. Could be indicative of better reputation/training/connections.

If someone wants to do a numerical tally and prove me right/wrong, that'd actually be pretty cool. ;)

So you claimed that UT-H's match is a step above UTMB because it seemed that way with casual comparisons? Well after my preliminary look at the match lists, UTH seems to have more matches in state for 2006 vs UTMB (63% vs 57%). UTMB have fewer percentage of people that were unmatched. Both seem to match several to "prestigious" residencies. UTMB seems to match a tiny bit more to more competitive specialties like surgery, anesthesiology...

I would say they're about equal or even maybe give a tiny edge to UTMB. But I would be very hesitant to say that UTH match is a step above UTMB.

HOUSTON OR SOUTHWESTERN? that is the question (from someone from Houston... and still goes to school there right across the street... and who has friends going to UT-Houston next year... and who fell in love with UT-H while working there over the summer...but is enticed by things such as prestige :confused: ... and has lived in Houston all her life so might like a change... butttt is also waiting to hear from baylor... ok im done)

did houston say we had to decide by dec 1st for real???

Do a little more homework. Their curricula are completely different. However, you will get a great preclinical and clinical education at either. If you think that you will be involved in research, the two schools excel at different specialties. UTSW, for instance, has one of the best Internal Medicine departments, while Baylor is top, top notch at any specialty with "pediatric" in its name. Location and weather is drammatically different. Personally, I prefer the weather in Dallas, but like the rest of what Houston has to offer better.

Personally, I'd go with UTSW. Although the TMC is tempting, dealing with the headaches of turf-wars b/t BCM and UTH would get old. UTSW is a solid school in a great city (imo) and should provide you with great opportunities come match time.

Can't really go wrong with either one, though.

Are turf wars between those two schools really a problem? This is really the first that I've heard of them being mentioned as a problem.

If I'm fortunate to be accepted to both schools, it will be a tough decision for me too.

Wow, talk about a Catch-22. I'm trying to decide between UTH and UTMB. I feel like there's less risk with board scores and preclinical prep at UTMB, but I will not be as happy at UTMB as UTH because of my love for the TMC and Houston in general. People will say that UTMB is not that far away, but I want to be on Fannin Street every day. I wonder which is worse...

Rolling the dice with boards and living in heaven for 4 years or playing it safe and living in hades for 4 years.

What do you guys think? If UTH just had a step 1 pass rate of 92% or the national average...I wouldn't even be discussing this.

Wow, talk about a Catch-22. I'm trying to decide between UTH and UTMB. I feel like there's less risk with board scores and preclinical prep at UTMB, but I will not be as happy at UTMB as UTH because of my love for the TMC and Houston in general. People will say that UTMB is not that far away, but I want to be on Fannin Street every day. I wonder which is worse...

Rolling the dice with boards and living in heaven for 4 years or playing it safe and living in hades for 4 years.

What do you guys think? If UTH just had a step 1 pass rate of 92% or the national average...I wouldn't even be discussing this.

just go wherever you think you'll be happiest, and as far as board scores, rely more on yourself than the school and bust your ass and you'll be one of those people that will be able to choose anyhting they want... i didn't even get an interview to houston so i don't have this decision... but if i did i would prolly choose utmb in all honestly b/c galveston has a way better pre-clinical program. and even though its clinical program is still pretty good, being a leve 1 trauma hospital its not as good as the TMC, but why can't you do your utmb rotations AT the tmc? that way you can get the best of both worlds no?

Eveyone is so concerned about a school's board scores, but if you work hard and prepare properly, then the boards shouldn't be a problem! What you get on the boards is up to you. When looking at undergrad schools did you look at the average MCAT scores to make your decision? I am guessing probably not. UTMB does have a great curriculum, while TMC is amazing. Go where you are going to be happy. Med School is going to be hard enough without having the added stress of hating where you live. This is just my $0.2.

I think the concern about board scores goes beyond concern for our own step 1 score in the future--or at least it does for me.

I'm accepted at UTH and UTMB (don't know whether I'll rank UTSW #1 or not to try to get in there... don't know if its a good environment for me), so right now I'm trying to pick between those two.

The low AVERAGE board scores at UTH--I emphasize average because I'm sure there are many who do quite well--underscore the concerns about UTH's preclinical curriculum that existed even before comparing scores.

If students are doing that much better at UTMB on the step 1--students who are coming in with similar MCATs/GPAs--then either UTH's curriculum is particularly weak, UTMB's is particularly strong, or some mix of the two. And I'm wary of picking UTH for its location and clinical opps if that means my preclinical teaching will suffer to a great degree (again, using UTMB as a basis for comparison).

Phew. Felt good getting that out there. It's been tugging at me incessantly.

I think the concern about board scores goes beyond concern for our own step 1 score in the future--or at least it does for me.

I'm accepted at UTH and UTMB (don't know whether I'll rank UTSW #1 or not to try to get in there... don't know if its a good environment for me), so right now I'm trying to pick between those two.

The low AVERAGE board scores at UTH--I emphasize average because I'm sure there are many who do quite well--underscore the concerns about UTH's preclinical curriculum that existed even before comparing scores.

If students are doing that much better at UTMB on the step 1--students who are coming in with similar MCATs/GPAs--then either UTH's curriculum is particularly weak, UTMB's is particularly strong, or some mix of the two. And I'm wary of picking UTH for its location and clinical opps if that means my preclinical teaching will suffer to a great degree (again, using UTMB as a basis for comparison).

Phew. Felt good getting that out there. It's been tugging at me incessantly.

Yes but...I am not sure if this is just rumor or not, but I heard that UTMB teaches to the test whereas UTH does not. I think that people need to go where they will be happiest. If that is UTMB or if that is UTH then great. You can get a great medical education at both institutions. It only matters how much effort you put into your own education.

Eveyone is so concerned about a school's board scores, but if you work hard and prepare properly, then the boards shouldn't be a problem! What you get on the boards is up to you. When looking at undergrad schools did you look at the average MCAT scores to make your decision? I am guessing probably not. UTMB does have a great curriculum, while TMC is amazing. Go where you are going to be happy. Med School is going to be hard enough without having the added stress of hating where you live. This is just my $0.2.

COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

baylor >>>>>>>> utsw> uth > utmb/utsa >>>>>>>>>>>>> tamu/ttu

baylor rules and let me tell you why... it has the same badass schedule as utmb, same badass pbl as uth, basic sciences is done in 1.5 meaning you have 6 extra months of whatever u want that no one else does... houston is just as good as dallas, san antonio, or wherever else in tx... and o ya, they are still ranked the highest out of any of these schools... holla

:thumbup: Zaktly.

baylor >>>>>>>> utsw> uth > utmb/utsa >>>>>>>>>>>>> tamu/ttu

baylor rules and let me tell you why... it has the same badass schedule as utmb, same badass pbl as uth, basic sciences is done in 1.5 meaning you have 6 extra months of whatever u want that no one else does... houston is just as good as dallas, san antonio, or wherever else in tx... and o ya, they are still ranked the highest out of any of these schools... holla

I would say as a somewhat biased UTSW student that whether you should choose us or BCM comes down to your goals. Many of us came here b/c aid was alot better than BCM. My friend went to Baylor, which is a great school, because he wants surgery. Dallas is probably better for research and definately IMed baylor has a more progressive curriculum and may have an edge in terms of surgery. I would say for sure that your ranking should be BCM=UTSW (with one coming out ahead depending on your interests and goals)>>>>>>>>other TX schools. However, you will get a great education whereever you go and my friends at UTMB say they really like it. I like Dallas and my classmates are awesome. For me it came down to here and a big name in the northeast but, at the end of the day Dallas threw some money at me and I already really liked there program and the privates were pretty expensive and I couldn't see their MEDICAL STUDENT clinical training surpassing Parklands.

This is my very open ranking of the schools, based on the thoughts of a fat, old doctor who has spent 90% of his very long practice in TX academic medicine. (My dad.) Take this with a grain of salt please!

Reputation-wise he says:
Baylor>UTSW>UTSA>UTH>UTMB>TT=TAMU>TCOM

But ultimately how you do at any school means more than the school's rep.

This is my very open ranking of the schools, based on the thoughts of a fat, old doctor who has spent 90% of his very long practice in TX academic medicine. (My dad.) Take this with a grain of salt please!

Reputation-wise he says:
Baylor=UTSW>UTSA>UTH>UTMB>TT=TAMU>TCOM

Reputation-wise he says:
Baylor=UTSW>UTSA>UTH>UTMB>TT=TAMU>TCOM

It's nice that our "worst" school is still a pretty good school. Thank God I am a resident!

Good luck!

'Rambler

Violent crime rate – Dallas > Houston > Lubbock > Galveston > Fort Worth = San Antonio > College Station

More like Baylor > UTSW > UTSA=UTH=UTMB

I agree, but would give UTMB a slight edge over the rest. Board scores will play the biggest role in distinguishing students from UTSA, UTH, and UTMB. UTMB's average is consistently higher and is the safer bet even though it's up to the individual and not the school like everyone says.

I know that one's decision should rest on how each person feels about a particular school. But the thing is I am still deciding on whether or not to go to utsw or utsa.

I was accepted to both schools and I like utsw alot, but both my mcat scores and my gpa are lower than the averages for utsw. I was just wondering if any utsw students know anyone who had below average stats. How are they doing now? I'd rather be on the upper end of the class at uthscsa than at the lower end at utsw...regardless of board performance.

My rationale right now is that I am going to try my absolute hardest at utsw to make the most of my medical school experience.

Is that risky/dangerous thinking?

I know that one's decision should rest on how each person feels about a particular school. But the thing is I am still deciding on whether or not to go to utsw or utsa.

I was accepted to both schools and I like utsw alot, but both my mcat scores and my gpa are lower than the averages for utsw. I was just wondering if any utsw students know anyone who had below average stats. How are they doing now? I'd rather be on the upper end of the class at uthscsa than at the lower end at utsw...regardless of board performance.

My rationale right now is that I am going to try my absolute hardest at utsw to make the most of my medical school experience.

I responded in your other thread... just my two cents

In my opinion, you should forget all about average MCAT/GPA for matriculants because they are only considerations for GETTING IN. Now that you are in, you should base your decision on where to go on factors such as school cirriculum, location, academic environment and most important of all, your personal feelings about each school and how they can cater to your personal goals. Once you are in medical school, everyone gets a clean slate and high MCAT/GPA does not guarantee high board scores. I know quite alot of people who scored <25 on MCAT but scored 230+ on USMLE Step 1 and those who score >30 and scored <210 on USMLE Step 1. Bottom line...Forget about MCAT/GPA averages in your decision process!

Are you thinking of going back for a second look? Is anyone? I'm wondering what I might get out of it because it's going to cost me a plane ride. I'm deciding between UTSW and UTH.

just go wherever you think you'll be happiest, and as far as board scores, rely more on yourself than the school and bust your ass and you'll be one of those people that will be able to choose anyhting they want... i didn't even get an interview to houston so i don't have this decision... but if i did i would prolly choose utmb in all honestly b/c galveston has a way better pre-clinical program. and even though its clinical program is still pretty good, being a leve 1 trauma hospital its not as good as the TMC, but why can't you do your utmb rotations AT the tmc? that way you can get the best of both worlds no?

Trust me Buddy, TMC is no heaven. You''ll hate it when you stay they two months. I worked they for 3 years before going to med-school and consequently decided never to apply to any school in houston. The stress of navigating the TMC will cause you more problems than you think. But try pick a school because within you, you know you''ll become a good doctor they. And besides, after spending A couple of months in TMC studying everyday, coupled with UT-H curriculum, you''ll loose the appreciation you have for TMC.

Trust me Buddy, TMC is no heaven. You''ll hate it when stay they two months. I worked they for 3 years before going to med-school and consequently decided never to apply to any school in houston. The stress of navigating the TMC will causese you more problems than you think. But pick a school because within you, you know you''ll become a good doctor they. And besides, after spending A couple of months in TMC studying everyday, coupled with UT-H curriculum, you''ll loose the appreciation you have for TMC.

Can you elaborate on your complaints about the TMC and the UTH curriculum?