Choosing between two "challenge" essay topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which topic should I use for my "challenge" essay prompts?

• Topic 1: Friend with mental illness

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Topic 2: Mentoring students in lab

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

hypophora

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a little more than halfway done with my slate of secondaries, and I've noticed that I've been switching back and forth between two "challenge" essays I've prewritten from school to school depending on how I'm feeling about them at the moment.

In order to streamline the process, I'm trying to figure out which is the "best" topic I've written about that I can confidently use for the rest of my secondaries. Problem is I can't choose so I'm coming to SDN for advice.

Topic 1: My experience supporting a close friend with severe mental illness. Focuses on how I started to burn out emotionally and learned how to value self-care and how I was able to negotiate with my friend between her needs for emotional support and my own limited time and emotional reserves.
Pros: This is a serious challenge that I faced and I personally think I matured a lot from facing it. I think learning about self-care is vital for all healthcare professionals.
Cons: Could be construed as demonstrating lack of resilience or I suppose lack of a sufficiently "self-sacrificing" spirit. Mental health topics are still controversial.

Topic 2: I had to teach a couple of new students in my lab some complex surgical techniques. One student responded well to lots of personal attention and correction. Other student is more independent. I am used to working with the first student so I use same teaching techniques with second student and they get angry and frustrated with me because they think I'm picking on them for no reason and pointing out every tiny error. I realize these kids have different learning styles and I apologize to the student about miscommunication and tell her that I will be more hands off and let her have more autonomy.
Pros: Non-controversial. Research related (?).
Cons: Boring and lightweight. Might make me seem bad at reading social cues or something.

I have a third one written for when the prompt specifies "obstacle you faced" which is about growing up gay in a culturally difficult environment.

So which one would you use, Topic 1 or Topic 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, Gut feeling: I feel like 2 might be better because it's more of a personal struggle. Some schools may read your essay on 1 and feel like you picked something that was more of a struggle for your friend (Even though I certainly understand that it was a struggle for you as well). That's just my gut feeling.

Second: What kind of mental illness? (You don't have to answer this - it's for you to think about) I had a roommate whose sibling had schizophrenia and I personally saw how much time she spent caring for that person. That is a much different issue than supporting someone with depression. So the type of mental illness may make a difference. On the other hand, it sounds like you learned a lot from your experience teaching and that shows that you can accept criticism and change. So I'm still leaning toward 2.

These both seem better than most of the ideas I have seen on here so far. I like the first one more because it seems more 'real' if that makes sense. But I really think both work and you could continue to alternate and be successful that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents: I wrote about something similar to your first idea (burnout, self care) and ended up really deemphasizing that element because I did not want that to come across as concerning to adcoms. Maybe thats unjustified, but I think it could be a risk

I actually prefer Topic 2! It emphasizes other good aspects of yourself, such as leadership/mentoring and research experience. It also shows that you learned how to adapt to different learning styles.

And the topic about being gay is also great.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll use Topic 2 for general shorter "challenge" prompts and retain Topic 1 for when the question is phrased in such a way to imply they want a super serious long response (e.g. "greatest challenge in your life").

Thanks everyone! I think I'll use Topic 2 for general shorter "challenge" prompts and retain Topic 1 for when the question is phrased in such a way to imply they want a super serious long response (e.g. "greatest challenge in your life").

Great idea! I tend to forget that the prompts can be somewhat specific and you should certainly match your response to both the prompt and the mission of the school. Good luck!

I think they're all pretty good. I lean towards 1 and 3, though it depends on how you do 3 -- not sure what culturally difficult means

I think they're all pretty good. I lean towards 1 and 3, though it depends on how you do 3 -- not sure what culturally difficult means

Easy. If OP grew up in a location like I did.. basically, living in a super conservative, white, Christian area.

Easy. If OP grew up in a location like I did.. basically, living in a super conservative, white, Christian area.
Yup. Something like that. Less to do with geographic area and more to do with family though.

Yup. Something like that. Less to do with geographic area and more to do with family though.

This as well. Basically, being surrounded by a culture that doesn't "approve"'of you being who you are.