Choosing Hospitals Based on Residencies vs. Convenience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year and I have to sign up for my choice of hospitals for rotations. Right now I live at home with my parents, and there are several hospitals that are located near me within a 20 minute driving distance. However, none of them have EM programs (the specialty I want). I can, however, choose to do my rotations at one of two hospitals that are over an hour away, which do have EM programs. My has a one month EM rotation, so I will definitely be in the ER 3rd year, for a month.

I am considering moving away to go to do my rotations at that hospital, but I don't know if it is worth it. Living at home means I have a great support network, and not having to pay rent. But on the other hand, I am repeating my 2nd year so I need all the help I can get to get my desired specialty.

So, is the extra costs of rent, food, etc. of living alone worth it to make connections during a one month EM rotation? Or should I just wait until my fourth year to make connections?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd move. An hour away is nothing, I'd go home every weekend to study if I lived an hour away, just for the quiet and not having to cook.

It's never too early to make connections.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd stay at home, since that means tens of thousands. You can make connections at a place that might not have a residency, but has important people who know other important people in it. I'd certainly try to do my elective(s) at places you'd like to match however. And especially for something like EM, if you're not already very familiar with the practice, getting a non-audition rotation in so that you have some bearing on what to do, when, so you look kinda smart when you audition...is not a bad idea. I did the same for Radiology. That, coupled with some clever reading and googling during audition rotations left some attendings with the impression that I might actually know stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose based on the quality of the rotations at those hospitals. Consider talking to some upperclassmen on which provides better experience. It's never too early to start networking, but I feel overall quality of education should be priority. Also, conferences are good places to network too.

Do you do an EM rotation? If not do you need to do it as an elective? Could you do that elective at the other hospital.

Or could you do your em rotation there and everything else at the other place?

I'd do the EM rotation at the place with the EM residency if at all possible.

Other rotations don't really matter in that case and can be done at the hospital closer to home.

However, part of me also thinks of "cut the cord" as a response to your general question.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing that became obvious from hanging out with people who went into EM at my school is that it's VERY driven by who knows who. I think that being able to be there for your EM month is a definite must, but given that you've got a major red flag in the fact that you're repeating a year, I think you need to give yourself every opportunity to make positive connections with the faculty at that place. That means make it to as many interest group meetings as you can, help out with any events you can, etc. That's going to be hard to do if you're not physically nearby.

If you are 100% dead set on applying for EM, I think you need to move.

Whenever I did a rotation with an affiliated site they provided housing (and food most times) for the rotating students. Is this not the case? There is going to be a point where you WILL need to get out of the house to do rotations and get networking so you can land the residency you want.