This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ajshsj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I would like to ask if majoring in health science at cal state fullerton would be a good major to apply for pharmacy school.
What is the difference between cal state and uc? Which should i attend to better prepare myself for pharm school? What is the ideal gpa coming from csu and uc?

Also, does having Ws decrease my chance of getting accepted? Starting from how many Ws will my chance be affected?
Also, can anyone majored in health science at csuf and attending pharm school give me advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doesn't really matter which school , since there are plenty of pharmacy schools in Southern California that will take anyone with a pulse.

Computer science would be a much better major in the long run. You can earn close to $100k right out of undergrad without having to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in pharmacy school. Job prospects in computer science are bright, whereas there will be no jobs in pharmacy by the time you graduate.

Doesn't really matter which school , since there are plenty of pharmacy schools in Southern California that will take anyone with a pulse.

Computer science would be a much better major in the long run. You can earn close to $100k right out of undergrad without having to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years in pharmacy school. Job prospects in computer science are bright, whereas there will be no jobs in pharmacy by the time you graduate.
Hello
Will the school which is more research focused such as uc allow me to get noticed by more schools?
Also, is the economy affecting acceptance?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will the school which is more research focused such as uc allow me to get noticed by more schools?

Not really (see my response below).

Also, is the economy affecting acceptance?

Yes, in terms of the pharmacy job market. It is very difficult to land a job upon graduation as tons of pharmacy schools have opened, and it's only going to get much worse. That is why fewer people are applying to pharmacy schools and more are flocking to more lucrative fields, i.e. medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, software engineering, accounting, finance, etc. Yet there are more pharmacy schools than ever, so it has become very easy to get accepted. The real problem is finding a job after graduation when you're $200k+ in debt.

I would recommend engineering or computer science instead. Job prospects and pay are great if not better than for pharmacy, you can finish school and start working 4 years sooner, and you do not need to borrow $200k+.

Not really (see my response below).

Yes, in terms of the pharmacy job market. It is very difficult to land a job upon graduation as tons of pharmacy schools have opened, and it's only going to get much worse. That is why fewer people are applying to pharmacy schools and more are flocking to more lucrative fields, i.e. medicine, dentistry, physician assistant, software engineering, accounting, finance, etc. Yet there are more pharmacy schools than ever, so it has become very easy to get accepted. The real problem is finding a job after graduation when you're $200k+ in debt.

I would recommend engineering or computer science instead. Job prospects and pay are great if not better than for pharmacy, you can finish school and start working 4 years sooner, and you do not need to borrow $200k+.

Hello
I would also like to know how pharmacy school is compared to undergrad (bio, chemistry).
Also,if the timeline that i take to complete undergrad degree and pre reg is too long ( 6 yrs vs 4 yrs), would my chance get impacted?

Last edited:
Also,if the timeline that i take to complete undergrad degree and pre reg is too long ( 6 yrs vs 4 yrs), would my chance get impacted?

It would still be easy for you to get in as long as you're willing to sign away $200k+ in loans.