Choosing not to attend graduation ceremonies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I approach my school and let them know I do not want to attend, can they do anything negative to me? I have had a hard year and do not want to be around celebrating happy students when I do not feel the same.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If I approach my school and let them know I do not want to attend, can they do anything negative to me? I have had a hard year and do not want to be around celebrating happy students when I do not feel the same.

Thoughts?

Why don't you ask them? Different schools have different rules on this. For example, we were required to attend the graduation ceremony in order to pick up the diploma. We were not required to "hang around" for any celebrations unless desired. My thoughts are that your school could care less about your "happiness" (they are just not that "in" to you) but you should ask someone in administration who can give you correct information. It's a simple question and you won't be the first to ask it.

Why don't you ask them? Different schools have different rules on this. For example, we were required to attend the graduation ceremony in order to pick up the diploma. We were not required to "hang around" for any celebrations unless desired. My thoughts are that your school could care less about your "happiness" (they are just not that "in" to you) but you should ask someone in administration who can give you correct information. It's a simple question and you won't be the first to ask it.

thanks, I will ask. Wow, I feel like I would be the first to ask

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my brother didn't go to his Md graduation. ? Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I wouldn't worry about being the first. I'm sure it happens pretty often.

Thoughts?

I would keepin mind 1. You may not feel the same way 5-10 years down the road and regret your decision, and 2. Graduation isn't really for you as much as for family anyway.

You definitely won't be the 1st person to ask about this. Sorry you had a tough year.

There are lots of M4's who use their vacation towards the end of the year, in essence giving them a longer vacation before starting residency. Many of those M4's went home or on vacations and are simply not in the vicinity of the med school during the graduation ceremony. Thus, for them they would have to buy a plane ticket just to attend the ceremony (not to mention interrupt their vacation) and for that reason many med students don't attend graduation. So although your reason is quite different, I would guess that attendance is optional, although strongly encouraged.