Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
1,551
5
Texas
Status
  1. Dental Student
Do you guys think it would help or harm to not disclose information on race/ethnicity? I am Caucasian and Asian Indian, but I'd like the fact that both groups are well represented to not affect me.

Thinking more about it, admissions committees might assume that I am resentful of affirmative action and URMs and that I am trying to shield my race with the "no answer" option.
 

R.P. McMurphy

Guest
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
2,958
1
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Knickerbocker said:
Do you guys think it would help or harm to not disclose information on race/ethnicity? I am Caucasian and Asian Indian, but I'd like the fact that both groups are well represented to not affect me.

Thinking more about it, admissions committees might assume that I am resentful of affirmative action and URMs and that I am trying to shield my race with the "no answer" option.

I think choosing not to can only harm......that's just my opinion though

It just looks shady i think
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,341
6
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
you can try, but adcoms aren't stupid. if it doesn't come through in your name, your ecs, or your ps, it'll come through in your interview - but it isn't something that'll be held against you. although if i were a wry adcom, i'd pretty much assume any "blank" applicants whose ethnicities weren't apparent from names, ecs, or pss were white "middle-class" males. so if i were you, i'd just put it down. you are what you are, and the way you come off in your ecs and ps will have a lot more to do with you getting a second look than will your ethnicity.
 
About the Ads

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
3,363
3
33
Status
Just write it. It can't hurt you more than if you don't write it at all.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
Jul 23, 2004
11,777
1,959
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Unless you are selecting a URM race, I don't think what you check has any impact at all.

I find that not being able to select multiple races makes the whole thing a bit of a farce in this day and age. The days that students of multiple ethnicities being a rareity are long gone.
 

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
5,823
168
GMT+9
Status
  1. Attending Physician
LizzyM said:
No one on the adcom cares. Do what you want.

Exactly.

My philosophy has been that if people can't tell what race I am without asking, why should I tell them? I'm not affected by my actual race but by what other people perceive my race to be. (When people ask me what race I am, I have them guess. Overall success rate has been about 5%.)
 

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,506
5
38
Los Angeles
Status
  1. Medical Student
Knickerbocker said:
Do you guys think it would help or harm to not disclose information on race/ethnicity? I am Caucasian and Asian Indian, but I'd like the fact that both groups are well represented to not affect me.

Thinking more about it, admissions committees might assume that I am resentful of affirmative action and URMs and that I am trying to shield my race with the "no answer" option.


Are you forgetting that you will have to eventually interview IN PERSON (at most schools)
 

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
1,551
5
Texas
Status
  1. Dental Student
riceman04 said:
Are you forgetting that you will have to eventually interview IN PERSON (at most schools)

Depending on the person looking at me and the amount of time I've spent in the summer sun, I've passed for being Caucasian (various kinds, sometimes Italian or Greek) as well as Mexican. People usually see what they want... A certain professor at my school thinks that I am Italian because I made tiramisu for a potluck.
 

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
2,472
0
35
Wherever life takes me...
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Knickerbocker said:
Depending on the person looking at me and the amount of time I've spent in the summer sun, I've passed for being Caucasian (various kinds, sometimes Italian or Greek) as well as Mexican. People usually see what they want... A certain professor at my school thinks that I am Italian because I made tiramisu for a potluck.

I'm half Asian Indian, half Irish, and I get that same problem. I've had people start speaking Spanish to me since they thought I was Hispanic. I've also been told that I could pass for Italian or a number of other ethnicities if they ask.
 
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads