Choosing Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDtoDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little food for thought.

When I first applied to med school right out of college, I thought DOs were for people who couldn't get into MDs.

Boy was I wrong. In fact, if I had known how well I mesh with the environment and philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine, I never would have applied to MD programs!

Now I'm a little bit older and quite a bit wiser and I have to say its been quite a learning curve.

Although my mother and even a few friends including one in an MD program suggested I reconsider my state MD school offer before putting down my DO deposit, I have no doubt I made the right decision.

So this PhD to MD is now an PhD to DO....and proud to be paving the way for more research academics to acknowledge and gravitate towards Osteopathic Medicine!

I know I'll get all the training of an MD and quite a bit more....while enjoying a positive more open-minded academic environment.

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO

Members don't see this ad.

PhDtoMD said:

When I first applied to med school right out of college, I thought DOs were for people who couldn't get into MDs.

Boy was I wrong. In fact, if I had known how well I mesh with the environment and philosophy of Osteopathic Medicine, I never would have applied to MD programs!

Now I'm a little bit older and quite a bit wiser and I have to say its been quite a learning curve.

Although my mother and even a few friends including one in an MD program suggested I reconsider my state MD school offer before putting down my DO deposit, I have no doubt I made the right decision.

So this PhD to MD is now an PhD to DO....and proud to be paving the way for more research academics to acknowledge and gravitate towards Osteopathic Medicine!

I know I'll get all the training of an MD and quite a bit more....while enjoying a positive more open-minded academic environment.

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO
If you know that DO is the right path for you, then you did the right thing, and more power to you. :thumbup: Best of :luck: with everything. Are you graduating this semester?

PhDtoMD said:

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO

You are going to need a new screen name.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhDtoMD said:

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO

Hi there,
In 2006, physicians trained in this country can graduate from allopathic or osteopathic medical school. Sure, there are some who will attempt to attach a stigma to DO (woefully outdated) but you can get quality medical school training and graduate with either an MD or a DO degree.

I do not think that having a positive open-minded academic environment cannot be found in allopathic medical schools. This is less dependent on the degree and more dependent on the faculty leadership. After having taught in one allopathic medical school and after attending another, I have to say that I have enjoyed great academics and excellent training under the allopathic philosophy. It's all good.

njbmd :)

PhDtoMD said:

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO
Did you get into your state school then?

njbmd said:
Hi there,
In 2006, physicians trained in this country can graduate from allopathic or osteopathic medical school. Sure, there are some who will attempt to attach a stigma to DO (woefully outdated) but you can get quality medical school training and graduate with either an MD or a DO degree.

I do not think that having a positive open-minded academic environment cannot be found in allopathic medical schools. This is less dependent on the degree and more dependent on the faculty leadership. After having taught in one allopathic medical school and after attending another, I have to say that I have enjoyed great academics and excellent training under the allopathic philosophy. It's all good.

njbmd :)
They just started letting us practice in 2006? wow that's great news. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

PhDtoMD said:

Just my Opinion,

MSPH
Soon-to-be PhD
Future DO

I applaud your tenecity. It must be difficult to have friends and parents tell you to reconsider your choice. Med school is a long road and there will be doubters for everyone. I got accepted into my instate MD school yet there still are people saying I didn't do the 'right thing', that I 'wasted' my two years working. One thing I learned from this entire process is that there will ALWAYS be people telling you you're doing the wrong thing, we just have to ignore them and suck it up. No one was ever happy by trying to please everyone else but them. Good choice. :D

To be perfectly frank, I am new to this pre-med game...and some do not appear to be so friendly, open or accepting of older folks who seek to become physicians. The pre-allo forum can be murder on a fella's ego! However, after perusing the Nontrads area, y'all seem pretty even-keeled & accepting of someone who is just thinking about testing the pre-med waters.

Would someone be so kind as to point me towards resources where I can find out more about DOs & osteopathic medicine. Sounds like a viable option.

Midazolam2112 said:
To be perfectly frank, I am new to this pre-med game...and some do not appear to be so friendly, open or accepting of older folks who seek to become physicians. The pre-allo forum can be murder on a fella's ego! However, after perusing the Nontrads area, y'all seem pretty even-keeled & accepting of someone who is just thinking about testing the pre-med waters.

Would someone be so kind as to point me towards resources where I can find out more about DOs & osteopathic medicine. Sounds like a viable option.
Have you checked the Pre-Osteo and Osteo forums? Also, here is the website of the AAO: http://www.academyofosteopathy.org/ Hope this helps. :)

Midazolam2112 said:

Hi, Mid Azolam 2112,

You might also check out oldpremeds.org which is an extremely supportive and friendly environment for nontrads to discuss their premed and med school experiences. Trads are welcome too, by the way!

Therapy Ball

HoodyHoo said:
They just started letting us practice in 2006? wow that's great news. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

She was supporting osteopathic medicine. I can assue you nbmjd is awesome and is supportive.