Choosing School Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krombopulos Michael

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How highly do you guys think I should rank differences in cost when deciding between 2 different programs. I have acceptances from 2 different schools, once which guarantees its scholarship offers for 4 years and has a cheaper tuition, while the other offered more but only for the first year and has a higher tuition.

The school I like more for a variety of reasons (location, cost of living, school facilities) is the one that will end up being significantly more expensive. Should I the difference in cost draw me towards the least expensive school (where honestly I'd be happy as well)? Are there other factors I haven't considered outside of residency placement rates, board passing rates, and retention rates? Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

How highly do you guys think I should rank differences in cost when deciding between 2 different programs. I have acceptances from 2 different schools, once which guarantees its scholarship offers for 4 years and has a cheaper tuition, while the other offered more but only for the first year and has a higher tuition.

The school I like more for a variety of reasons (location, cost of living, school facilities) is the one that will end up being significantly more expensive. Should I the difference in cost draw me towards the least expensive school (where honestly I'd be happy as well)? Are there other factors I haven't considered outside of residency placement rates, board passing rates, and retention rates? Any help would be much appreciated!

1) Sick avatar photo

2) Cost is pretty important but so are attrition and board pass rates. You definitely have to take those into consideration.

3) I think the most important factor is where you could see yourself living and learning for the next 3-4 years. I'd say its better to be at a place where you enjoyed and could perform better than save money and be miserable in the process which would could impact your grades and this residency options. Residency influences the type of Job offers you receive. So the "cheaper" school could end up costing you more in the long run if you're not happy and performing to the best of your ability there.

At the end of the day all school will get you where you need to go. Just boils down to which one you think could personally perform best at ,and live your best life. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users

If you don't mind posting here, what is the cost difference between the two schools? Are we talking about like 10K over 4 years or 100K?

Because if it is a 100K difference then by all means go to the cheaper school, you will thank yourself 4 years down the line...but if its a small number like under 20K then I wouldn't worry too much and attend the expensive school.

What is it about the cheaper program that you do not like?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind posting here, what is the cost difference between the two schools? Are we talking about like 10K over 4 years or 100K?

Because if it is a 100K difference then by all means go to the cheaper school, you will thank yourself 4 years down the line...but if its a small number like under 20K then I wouldn't worry too much and attend the expensive school.

What is it about the cheaper program that you do not like?

It is the location of the cheaper program mainly that I do not like. Like I said the statistics are close enough that I cannot decide if location is something I can get used to due to the scholarship money.

I was in a similar situation with DMU and Temple. DMU would be a less expensive option (lower tuition and cost of living) but the location was not my favorite.

I ended up choosing Temple for many reasons and the location was near ideal for me and my wife. We figured that we would save a little bit by going to Des Moines, but felt like we would enjoy our time in Podiatry school more in Philadelphia.

Either school will give you the tools that you need to become a successful podiatrist. But I recommend choosing the school/location that would make you the happiest during school. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is the location of the cheaper program mainly that I do not like. Like I said the statistics are close enough that I cannot decide if location is something I can get used to due to the scholarship money.

If your happiness at that location = higher chance of finishing the program successfully, then attend the expensive school. Good luck!

Thank you all for your advice, you have all been very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user