Choosing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffytoez

MS 1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I applied to 6 podiatry schools (DMU, Barry, Az, Temple, Des Moines, Kent State) and got interviews at all of them in January.
I tried going through forums that compare and even those that just talk about particular schools, but Iike I still need help figuring out which one is the right one? I get it, there are pros and cons to every school, but how and why did you choose the one you chose and what process to system did you use to make that decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, so I applied to 6 podiatry schools (DMU, Barry, Az, Temple, Des Moines, Kent State) and got interviews at all of them in January.
I tried going through forums that compare and even those that just talk about particular schools, but Iike I still need help figuring out which one is the right one? I get it, there are pros and cons to every school, but how and why did you choose the one you chose and what process to system did you use to make that decision?
For me:

1. Program Outcomes
2. Cost
3. Location
4. Atmosphere (General feel)
5. School has too offer (IPE, Curriculum, etc)
6. What other people said (pros/cons)

Reactions: 3 users

You should aim to interview at 3-4 from that list. de Ribas got a nice list above, and I also factored in the cost, location, and how I felt about that program on interview day from talking to different students and faculty. IMO, put the cost on the top, then on your interview day figure out if that's where you want to be.

It can be a difficult decision before visiting the program in person. Prepare well for the interviews!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on interviewing at my top three schools (AZPOD, Barry, and NYCPM or Temple); however, after interviewing at Midwestern/AZPOD, I immediately knew to go there because of board scores, location, residency placement, and overall atmosphere. I highly recommend interviewing at your top school first so you can save money, but some choose to interview at multiple schools - it just depends on you.

I wish I had not interviewed at more than 2 schools because it really would have saved me a bunch of money! I would also say to just interview at your top 1 or 2 schools. Maybe see if you can reschedule some of the other interviews just INCASE you don't get in right away. That is what I did for my interviews, I kept them generally close to each other, but still far apart so that I can make my decision quick enough since the schools don't give much time to give your decision, and incase I didn't get into 1 or the other. After Scholl accepted me, I cancelled all the other interviews because I just didn't want the headache of having to choose between more schools and Scholl had an awesome vibe.

When I was deciding, I focused a lot on the average 4 year graduation rates, pass rates on each exams, and match rates. Based on your interview list, the top 3 based on the stats are AZ, Des Moines, and Temple. All of them will prepare you for to become competent. When you go out to interviews, be aware of how you feel in that city. Is it somewhere you could see yourself living for 4 years happily? I don't like big cities so I knew not to bother with Temple. Also, when they take you to the cafeteria for lunch, try to sense the vibe you get from other students. I noticed a big difference in the overall vibe between different schools which weighed into my decision.