Choosing schools to apply - concerned about Loma Linda, Michigan, Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

occlusalsurface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to finalize my list of schools by tomorrow. Can you look at my list quickly for me?

Reapplicant:

oGPA: 3.5
sGPA: ~3.45-3.5
BCP: 3.4

But I did better in my upper division classes than my pre-dental prerequisites since I later learned my studying/learning style.

DAT: 20/20/22 (PAT)... 21's in chemistries, but a 19 in bio. =/
Residency: California

ECs: leadership positions, some research, some dental assisting, 400-500 hrs volunteering, enough shadowing.

UOP
UCSF
Western
USC
ASDOH
Roseman
NYU
Detroit Mercy
UNLV
Nova
Case Western
Maryland
Pittsburgh (only if I get the third science LOR)

Schools unsure of:

1) Loma Linda -- I'm not a SDA/catholic/christian, I'm worried about the letter of recommendation from a spiritual leader. Is it mandatory? What if you get an interview, how are your chances then? Does anyone have direct experience with this who is not particularly religious? I don't mind that the school is religious, I just want to know what my chances realistically.

2) Michigan -- on their website, they say that they look into prerequisite GPA very much, and also want 5 units of Sociology. I took 4 units of Sociology... Since I didn't do great in my prerequisites, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't even apply.

3) Creighton -- heard it was a strong clinical school so I wanted to try to apply, but I heard they like midwestern states more than California?...

4) UMDNJ -- Still unsure of whether to apply, but I think I will apply here since their averages are around mine. How is the school and its clinical reputation? It seems to me a lot of people prefer NYU over UMDNJ, is that true? Why is that, even though NYU has very expensive tuition?

Which schools do you think I won't stand a chance at?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loma Linda- I heard they do make exceptions or a letter from a spiritual leader isn't always necessary bit I feel like its a bit risky to pay a school $80 dollars only to have to tell you they won't take it. I guess its up to you? Plus, would you feel comfortable at a school that strongly emphasizes beliefs that you don't have?

Creighton - I'm not sure but they seem to have a very small percent of OOS students . On predds's site for 2010, I'm seeing 12% of 85. I guess it depends on you if you want to risk me. I'm from CA and I'm not applying here but my boyfriend (also CA) is.

I have similar stats, I chose not to apply to any of the 4 schools you are unsure of. I also didn't apply to Maryland because they require one LOR be from a Bio Professor and one LOR be from a Chem Professor, which I didn't have. You may probably take that into consideration.

Last edited:
What about switching Creighton with OHSU? However, I know OHSU likes Wiche states and California is not part of that. =/

At least, it's close by!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite possibly. They aren't too fond of Californian but they do a decent number of OOS students. Your stats are good enough for them to consider you.

If not, I would consider: Midwestern (AZ) , AT Still (AZ), BU, & Temple as good additions.

I think you have a good shot at the schools you have listed, if you reallllllly want to go to LL then you can call and ask but the dentist I am currently shadowing graduated in 2011 form LL and he said that about a little less than half of his class was not SDA. But idk anything about the LOR issue sorry. I think the three schools tangymoose said would be good schools to think about. Michigan is my top school and if you really want to go there then take another soc class. They are easy, B+ or higher no problem. You can submit your app and then take the class this summer, if possible

I would like to finalize my list of schools by tomorrow. Can you look at my list quickly for me?

Reapplicant:

oGPA: 3.5
sGPA: ~3.45-3.5
BCP: 3.4

But I did better in my upper division classes than my pre-dental prerequisites since I later learned my studying/learning style.

DAT: 20/20/22 (PAT)... 21's in chemistries, but a 19 in bio. =/
Residency: California

ECs: leadership positions, some research, some dental assisting, 400-500 hrs volunteering, enough shadowing.

UOP
UCSF
Western
USC
ASDOH
Roseman
NYU
Detroit Mercy
UNLV
Nova
Case Western
Maryland
Pittsburgh (only if I get the third science LOR)

Schools unsure of:

1) Loma Linda -- I'm not a SDA/catholic/christian, I'm worried about the letter of recommendation from a spiritual leader. Is it mandatory? What if you get an interview, how are your chances then? Does anyone have direct experience with this who is not particularly religious? I don't mind that the school is religious, I just want to know what my chances realistically.

2) Michigan -- on their website, they say that they look into prerequisite GPA very much, and also want 5 units of Sociology. I took 4 units of Sociology... Since I didn't do great in my prerequisites, I was thinking maybe I shouldn't even apply.

3) Creighton -- heard it was a strong clinical school so I wanted to try to apply, but I heard they like midwestern states more than California?...

4) UMDNJ -- Still unsure of whether to apply, but I think I will apply here since their averages are around mine. How is the school and its clinical reputation? It seems to me a lot of people prefer NYU over UMDNJ, is that true? Why is that, even though NYU has very expensive tuition?

Which schools do you think I won't stand a chance at?
Take out ASDOH, Detroit Mercy, UNLV, Maryland, and UMDNJ.

Take out ASDOH, Detroit Mercy, UNLV, Maryland, and UMDNJ.

Why would OP take out ASDOH? They have enough community service hours to get an interview there. UNLV also loves Californians. I would leave those two on the list. UDM and UMDNJ take out for sure because they don't have too many OOS seats. Maryland is hit or miss.

And Creighton takes mostly OOS people from their region.

Creighton accepts quite a few out of state students (compared to most schools). I'm from Oregon and was accepted if that helps. It's worth a shot, you never know what schools are looking for.

LLU just wants to see that you're spiritual in some way. If you can't get that LoR though I wouldn't bother.

Also, apply to pitt. I called, and if you only have 2 science lors its fine. They just like to see students with strong science backgrounds, and your grades/dat should make up for it. I applied and got in with 2 science lors (along with a 19 in bio lol, though i did have higher chem scores).

Loma Linda = Don't bother, in the same part of California (Inland Empire) as Western. Probably have a better shot at getting into Western.

Michigan = I'd call and ask if the requirement for 5 units is strict or not. (Could be a typo like pitt's biochem requirement on their website)

UMDNJ = Don't bother, prefer almost all NJ residents.