Choosing the RIGHT college major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTOR13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I am in college right now and it's been a long road. I recently decided to go to Med school because it's what I want to do more than anything. I was thinking about doing general studies major but minor in biological sciences, then do a post-bac pre-med degree somewhere. How do you think schools would look at that? Thanks for all your time.

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in college? Try to take all of the pre-med requirements while you're in college, or at least as many as you can take. Do a post-bacc if you won't have room.

It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you do well in everything. This includes the courses in your major, and the pre-med required courses. If you do post-bacc, you will be a "nontraditional" student, but other than that you are essentially the same as all of the other applicants.

only do post bac if your GPA is mediocre/bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am in college right now and it's been a long road. I recently decided to go to Med school because it's what I want to do more than anything. I was thinking about doing general studies major but minor in biological sciences, then do a post-bac pre-med degree somewhere. How do you think schools would look at that? Thanks for all your time.

honestly, schools could care less what you major in. there is no right major for med schools, there is only a right major for YOU.

do you have a passion for the subject material in your major? will you enjoy taking the courses or will it feel like a burden?

if you major in something you love, you will do well. thats what matters. nothing else.

Ditto - there was a time when your major was important, but no more. I think a General Studies major looks a little unfocused unless you want to pursue something that you have a passion for that isn't a traditional offering. If you can do your pre-med courses while you're an undergrad, great - if not, there's no need for a post-bacc once you have a current baccalaureate degree. Just get the required lower-division stuff and a couple of courses in upper-division life science is very helpful, but that's all you need. I had a bachelors' in business and an MS in accounting. Business degrees were med school poison at one time - but my admissions committee made it very clear that they thought my background was a very useful addition to the class.

Do something you want to do, and worry about med school later. You'll be far more interesting in your interviews.

There's no 'right' major for medical school but you should try to do well in your science classes, in particular your pre-reqs. I'd recommend doing your pre-reqs while in college. It's just easier to get it out of the way rather than embark on a separate program. In the end, they count it the same way.

However, I would add the crevate that you should try to major in something that you can count on as backup in case med school isn't for you.

I went to a school with a large premed population and many students quit before they hit medical school. And for some of those students, they come out with unmarketable degrees. Try to major in something that will allow you to find a job in if med school does not work out. College isn't just a time to learn about the world, it's also a place to acquire skills that will allow you to earn money and jumpstart a career.

i know we always say "major in whatever" ad nauseum, but would a gen ed major be taken seriously?

no offense to the O.P., btw, and even if it did matter a little, it probably wouldn't affect admissions decisions.

However, I would add the crevate that you should try to major in something that you can count on as backup in case med school isn't for you.

crevate? :confused:

lol.

Go with something easy to boost your GPA like a chemical engineering/math/physics triple major. Seriously, though, just do what you like.

Go with something easy to boost your GPA like a chemical engineering/math/physics triple major. Seriously, though, just do what you like.

Actually I'm doing a chemical engineering/math double major.

Guess i'm just dumb though.

Well, you did spell engineer wrong.