Choosing the right school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james6911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that most of us know the results of their applications (Except for Syracuse, WTF?), it comes the difficult choice of choosing what program to accept. I was just wondering what you guys are looking for in choosing a school? For me, it's curriculum and cost.

Curriculum i am leaning towards pacific university as they have a 3yr accelerated program... however the cost is near 90k in tuition.

the most affordable school would be Missouri state which is a typical 4-year curriculum that costs nearly 50k in tuition.

I feel the year that i save in school can pay the difference in tuition and i get to live in Portland rather then Springfield...

there are a few other schools that i still need to look further into, but ahh I hate long term commitments :(

Members don't see this ad.

So now that most of us know the results of their applications (Except for Syracuse, WTF?), it comes the difficult choice of choosing what program to accept. I was just wondering what you guys are looking for in choosing a school? For me, it's curriculum and cost.

Curriculum i am leaning towards pacific university as they have a 3yr accelerated program... however the cost is near 90k in tuition.

the most affordable school would be Missouri state which is a typical 4-year curriculum that costs nearly 50k in tuition.

I feel the year that i save in school can pay the difference in tuition and i get to live in Portland rather then Springfield...

there are a few other schools that i still need to look further into, but ahh I hate long term commitments :(

Haha I find it odd that you hate long term commitments yet you're going to graduate school. I've been to Pacific University's program and the Health Professions campus is actually in Hillsboro, which is definitely outside of Portland. The facilities were nice but they have a lot of work to do to establish themselves. I think one extra year is worth the time spent at a program that has connections to the professional world. They were very nice and I was able to ask a lot of questions, but they just didn't have many answers. My recommendation at the end of the day is to go with your gut. However, it's worth thinking about how much the program will actually benefit your education.

I'm looking at research and curriculum. I'm not as concerned about tuition, because if I am going to be paying off loans for some time to come, I want to make sure I like what I am paying for.

I am leaning towards Northwestern (also a 3-year program), because they have a lot of research for students to get involved in and they also have a PhD program (which I am strongly considering). Being done a year earlier is even more appealing to me if I am going to continue to a PhD program. And in the chance that I don't continue on to a PhD program, Northwestern is still a great program overall and the faculty makes sure that the students get clinical experience across the entire scope of practice. So it's really just which program fits your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I find it odd that you hate long term commitments yet you're going to graduate school. I've been to Pacific University's program and the Health Professions campus is actually in Hillsboro, which is definitely outside of Portland. The facilities were nice but they have a lot of work to do to establish themselves. I think one extra year is worth the time spent at a program that has connections to the professional world. They were very nice and I was able to ask a lot of questions, but they just didn't have many answers. My recommendation at the end of the day is to go with your gut. However, it's worth thinking about how much the program will actually benefit your education.

Right, it's a 30min drive from hillsboro to Portland, no big deal really. But you're right, it is a new program but i feel they have a lot of resources available to them seeing as they're in Oregon. The expansion of the class size also tells me that they are fairly confident in providing seats for the internships.

I'd go for the cheaper option. You aren't going to make major bank right out of school with your AuD. Save as much as you can on your education. Trust me the lower loan payments will be very helpful!

As for 3 year vs. 4 year programs, well I think the AuD should be 3 years of school, give you your AuD then 1 year CFY to become licensed and independent, but I digress. Watch picking a 3 year school because some states will not honor a 3 year program AuD right out of the gate. This is pretty rare now, but I know some IU grads who had problems getting licensed in Ohio because of the law stating a 4 year program.

(

But you're right, it is a new program but i feel they have a lot of resources available to them seeing as they're in Oregon. The expansion of the class size also tells me that they are fairly confident in providing seats for the internships.

Hey, I'm in exactly the same boat! Different in state school, but right now am leaning heavily toward Pacific!

The cost is kind of scary, but it's the program that I was drawn to most, and I feel like it's worth it to go somewhere I know I'll be happy, rather than somewhere that's not my best fit just because it's cheaper. I'm with rc91 - I'm going to be paying off loans anyway, better like what I'm paying for.

I understand people's concerns at Pacific being both new and a 3-year program, but they're definitely moving fairly quickly toward having all of the resources of a more established program, and I don't see them being at a loss for professional contacts or internship placements.

Like most people have said, I think it the end it's best to go with your gut / where you think you'll be happiest and get the best experience. :)

All that being said, I definitely agree about going with the best fit. Loans are just loans. :)

I also got accepted to Missouri State and the tuition is very appealing with it being so low but I was more worried about being in a city vs. a smaller town like Springfield. I'm not sure if you go the chance to visit there but they explained to me that during your 2nd and 3rd year, you could be travelling for your clinical placements. They send students to closer places (like Branson) or you could be travelling much further to places like St. Louis or Kansas City. Apparently if you get one of those further placements, they make it so that you only have to drive there every other week rather than every week. So even with the cheaper tuition, you could be spending quite a bit on gas and wear and tear on your car. If you are out of state, see if you will qualify for the MoGo scholarship (if you haven't looked into it already). For any of your out of state schools see if you can claim residency after being there for one year. I visited schools in Colorado and Ohio and both schools said that as long as I follow the necessary steps, I could claim in-state tuition starting the second year. You may want to check with your schools to see if that is an option. As far as 3 year vs. 4 year, check in the states that you may want to work in and see if they require a 4 year degree. Good luck with your decision!

I also got accepted to Missouri State and the tuition is very appealing with it being so low but I was more worried about being in a city vs. a smaller town like Springfield. I'm not sure if you go the chance to visit there but they explained to me that during your 2nd and 3rd year, you could be travelling for your clinical placements. They send students to closer places (like Branson) or you could be travelling much further to places like St. Louis or Kansas City. Apparently if you get one of those further placements, they make it so that you only have to drive there every other week rather than every week. So even with the cheaper tuition, you could be spending quite a bit on gas and wear and tear on your car. If you are out of state, see if you will qualify for the MoGo scholarship (if you haven't looked into it already). For any of your out of state schools see if you can claim residency after being there for one year. I visited schools in Colorado and Ohio and both schools said that as long as I follow the necessary steps, I could claim in-state tuition starting the second year. You may want to check with your schools to see if that is an option. As far as 3 year vs. 4 year, check in the states that you may want to work in and see if they require a 4 year degree. Good luck with your decision!

forgive my ignorance, but where can one find information on degree req. by state?

I've seen state licensing require CAA accreditation, but nothing regarding years of grad. work.

When states say they do not provide licensure for 4th year students, does that mean that they require 4-year graduate work for licensure? I hope that is not the case because i find it odd that Oregon does not provude 4th year students licensure and pacific university is a three year program in that very state.

Last edited:

I am really considering declining Missouri because the state really is not appealing to me and because i prefer a slightly larger class size. I feel audiology is a relatively small field and networking is quite important. In a class with 20-30, i feel i am placing myself in good position for future private practice which i hope to one day accomplish. But yeah... just a long term goal.

Was anyone on here accepted to Lamar University but not going there? I'm number 2 on the wait list and since my fiancé works in Houston it would be ideal for us. Currently we live in Michigan so I'm anxious to find out if there might be a spot for me. Thanks!