Choosing your internship experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parabolic

One of many
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This doesn't yet apply to me, but I was wondering how pharmacy students decide where to work as interns during school. Does the school give you a list to choose from? Are you assigned somewhere? Do you just apply somewhere as you would for any job? Not for school rotations, for part-time work.

I ask because although I work at a chain pharmacy as a tech right now, I think once I'm a pharmacy student I would like to intern at a hospital instead. How does it work? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't yet apply to me, but I was wondering how pharmacy students decide where to work as interns during school. Does the school give you a list to choose from? Are you assigned somewhere? Do you just apply somewhere as you would for any job? Not for school rotations, for part-time work.

I ask because although I work at a chain pharmacy as a tech right now, I think once I'm a pharmacy student I would like to intern at a hospital instead. How does it work? Thank you!

Are you talking about interning as an actual job outside of school? If that's the case, we all had to find out own job if we wanted to work and it wasn't affiliated with the school. Most people didn't have any problems getting hired on at the local retail chains for a few hours a week. I'm sure if you ask around you can find a hospital job too. It's good that you want to branch out and see other areas of pharmacy!

If you're talking about rotations... that depends on the school, but I think most schools give you a list of available rotations and you get to rank which ones look most interesting to you. It depends on availability as to what you actually get assigned. This was how it was done at my school, but things are different around the country.

Are you talking about interning as an actual job outside of school? If that's the case, we all had to find out own job if we wanted to work and it wasn't affiliated with the school. Most people didn't have any problems getting hired on at the local retail chains for a few hours a week. I'm sure if you ask around you can find a hospital job too. It's good that you want to branch out and see other areas of pharmacy!

Thank you, that is what I was looking for!