Chop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsid

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've heard a good bit about how malignant the Boston programs are ... any word on CHOP? Do they treat their residents well?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to post a question in answer to your question. which boston programs are malignant? what exactly you mean by that?

I really like CHOP's program. They work VERY hard, but all the residents seemed happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Others have commented on the Boston programs ... mainly Boston Childrens ... correct me if I'm way off base.

hi,
i went to med school at penn and loved my rotations at CHOP. the residents work hard but contrary to the rumors i've heard on the interview trail, i don't think they are unhappy. the faculty is supportive, and the program director is fantastic. half the people in my class who went into peds stayed at CHOP for residency... if people who have seen it firsthand are so eager to stay, i think that's a strong endorsement of the program!
i'm now a resident at the bcrp program (i was sad to leave CHOP but came to boston for personal reasons). i love the bcrp... children's is very similar to CHOP, but you get more primary care exposure and autonomy at boston medical center, which was a perfect combination for me.
i will warn you, though... while CHOP and Children's are both great places full of amazing, supportive people and fantastic opportunities, and neither is malignant (i challenge you to find a medicine or surgery program where the chief residents regularly stop by on call nights to bring you candy, like they do here!), these are very hard residencies in terms of workload. at both programs, you are basically q4 for three years with very little call free time (only two weeks during intern year). patient volume is high at both programs. and you will work 80 hour weeks most of the time. this was very different from other programs where i interviewed such as seattle, where by junior year you're like q8 or something, and denver, where you get 5 call-free months during intern year. but if you're okay with this, then i think you'll have an amazing experience at either program.