Christian Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dre2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any med schools that are specifically Christian? I've heard Loma Linda is...any others?

If so, to what extent does christianity play a role within the school??

Members don't see this ad.

I sense a flame war coming...

Loma Linda was specifically founded in large part to create medical missionaries, so it still has a large Christian focus that is fairly incorporated with the medical training (e.g. students are required to take a few religion classes, and behavior such as getting drunk can get you in serious trouble with the administration).

I've gotten the impression from other posts here that the other medical schools run by religious institutions don't incorporate religion into the medical training as much as LLU does, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some schools that have Christian origins/values but none are Christian to the extent that Loma Linda is (I think you have to sign some kind of contract to go there and the chapel is mandatory or something while other schools don't really mention it/care about it at all). So I guess the answer is no.

Do you really want to have religion mixed in with medicine/science? I've always thought of them as a bad mixture unless one is more recessive than the other because of conflicting interests( Ex. Abortion). No offense. Then again, getting into any medical school would be nice.

Here are a few other Christian medical schools(Well, they mentioned their christian values in the "about us" section..) :
Creighton University School of Medicine
http://medschool.creighton.edu/

Georgetown University School of Medicine
http://som.georgetown.edu/about/

Loyola University- Stritch School of Medicine
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/node/104

I'm not sure how Christianity plays a part in teaching medicine though.

Do you really want to have religion mixed in with medicine/science? I've always thought of them as a bad mixture unless one is more recessive than the other because of conflicting interests( Ex. Abortion). No offense. Then again, getting into any medical school would be nice.

Here are a few other Christian medical schools(Well, they mentioned their christian values in the "about us" section..) :

As far as I'm aware evidence-based science certainly takes a front seat where medicine is concerned. A good portion of the instructors aren't even Christians, so it's not like students who go there are getting a medical curriculum that differs in any significant way from someone going to any other medical school.

Can anyone comment on the actual influence religion has at these three schools?

I'm fine with going to a Jesuit university, but count me out of any place like Loma Linda.

I actually did a Masters at one of the above institutions and some of our professors made some almost anti-religious remarks/jokes in class. I thought it was hilarious but I know there were others who weren't too happy about it :laugh:

Are there any med schools that are specifically Christian? I've heard Loma Linda is...any others?

If so, to what extent does christianity play a role within the school??

Even if you don't go to a school with a Christian "mission," I would guess that most schools have a CMDA chapter (Christian Medical Dental Association) or some other equivalent.

There are some schools that have Christian origins/values but none are Christian to the extent that Loma Linda is (I think you have to sign some kind of contract to go there and the chapel is mandatory or something while other schools don't really mention it/care about it at all). So I guess the answer is no.

True and I believe they have a policy regarding alcohol consumption.

Of course if you drive over to riverside or one of the other adjacent towns, you will see all the Loma SDA kids drinking to their hearts content. Lol

True and I believe they have a policy regarding alcohol consumption.

Of course if you drive over to riverside or one of the other adjacent towns, you will see all the Loma SDA kids drinking to their hearts content. Lol

Yeah, no alchohol, no smoking, no overnight stays from boys.
I wonder how effective that really is. :laugh:

I guess I just don't really understand why you NEED to go to a Christian school. If you have those values can't you just have them no matter where you go? No one is going to force feed you a cigarette/beer/sex.

I have seen religion play a larger role when it comes to the hospital system you will rotate through.

The catholic hospital in our town doesn't allow physicians to write for Birth Control! If your interested in Ob/Gyn and want to learn how to put in an IUD for example, might wanna check into this before hand.

On the plus side, the nuns will bless your hands if you want! Also it is very common to have either a nun or a priest present for morning rounds.

Very different from other more academic settings.

My 2 cents

If they exist, I'd avoid them.

I have nothing against Christianity, but as a doctor you'll be working with and for people with all kinds of different beliefs.

Your fellow students are one of your main sources of information about different viewpoints on ethical and social issues, and discussing those viewpoints with people who fundamentally disagree with you helps you build an understanding for their arguments. Having such an understanding is essential when you actually encounter those differences in a patient-doctor setting.

If you go to a med school with a more homogeneous student population than med schools already tend to have, you deny yourself that opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Absolutely.

Although it sounds like Loma Linda is the only one that's truly worth avoiding. I wouldn't want my physician wasting time in medical school studying religion unless it was in his or her spare time. If religion is part of the medical curriculum then he or she might as well be studying homeopathy. What a sad, sad joke.

Absolutely.

Although it sounds like Loma Linda is the only one that's truly worth avoiding. I wouldn't want my physician wasting time in medical school studying religion unless it was in his or her spare time. If religion is part of the medical curriculum then he or she might as well be studying homeopathy. What a sad, sad joke.

My Orthodontist went to Loma Linda and he would NOT stop asking me if I went to church or was allowed to marry a Christian. I don't know if this is a common thing or not because he's the only Loma Linda grad I know but it was pretty annoying. :annoyed:

My Orthodontist went to Loma Linda and he would NOT stop asking me if I went to church or was allowed to marry a Christian. I don't know if this is a common thing or not because he's the only Loma Linda grad I know but it was pretty annoying. :annoyed:

Sounds like he was hitting on you. Must've liked your bridge work.

I guess I just don't really understand why you NEED to go to a Christian school. If you have those values can't you just have them no matter where you go? No one is going to force feed you a cigarette/beer/sex.

A friend of mine was kicked out of la sierra (an SDA undergrad) for getting a girl preggers. The girl was kicked out too

Edit: Forced to withdraw not kicked out.

Lol one time I was talking to this doctor at my ED and he was raving about Loma and I mentioned some of my friends attended. Then he asked me if I was planning to apply. And not thinking I said, "no......"

*long silence*

lol I think I insulted him

I'm fine with going to a Jesuit university, but count me out of any place like Loma Linda.

I actually did a Masters at one of the above institutions and some of our professors made some almost anti-religious remarks/jokes in class. I thought it was hilarious but I know there were others who weren't too happy about it :laugh:

One of my siblings went to a Jesuit university. While they are technically Christian schools (Catholic, to be precise), they don't stress Christian theology or doctrine. Jesuits tend to stress service and social justice themes. My sister said she the professor for her class on the New Testament was an atheist.

Loma Linda is a bastion for intelligent design creationists. Forget about medical applications of evolutionary biology. What's important to understand is that Eve was approached in the Garden of Eden by a talking snake. Your future patients will appreciate your knowledge of this Biblical, and therefore factual, occurrence.

My perception is that medical school applicants today apply so broadly and are so prone to go wherever they are accepted that the student body of any medical school really isn't going to be very self-selecting as far a religious beliefs. Off the top of my head, I can think of Loma Linda being Seventh Day Adventist, Duke being Methodist at one point in its long forgotten past, and a bunch of schools being Jesuit. I would doubt that you'd notice very much religion at all in the Jesuit schools. I have a flamboyantly gay, totally irreligious friend who went to a Jesuit school for undergrad and is loving it. Medical schools are going to be even less self-selecting.

I have nothing against Christianity, but as a doctor you'll be working with and for people with all kinds of different beliefs.

Your fellow students are one of your main sources of information about different viewpoints on ethical and social issues, and discussing those viewpoints with people who fundamentally disagree with you helps you build an understanding for their arguments. Having such an understanding is essential when you actually encounter those differences in a patient-doctor setting.

If you go to a med school with a more homogeneous student population than med schools already tend to have, you deny yourself that opportunity.

I agree with this. As a doctor you're gonna be treating every race, every ethnicity, and every religion. It's a disservice to neglect the cultural background of others or, at the worst, insult it by demeaning it. I don't really care if someone is a fundamentalist Christian who thinks everyone except their specific sect is going to hell (I actually do know a med student like this) but I DO care if they let their beliefs negatively influence their practice of medicine.

In any case I don't know of any besides Loma Linda which are so heavily influenced by this weird anti-science thing that seems to have infected some parts of fringe Christianity (unless Liberty University has a medical school?). Even ones with purportedly "Christian values" like Georgetown are some of the best and for all intents and purposes have no overt religiosity.

By Christian do you mean you'd like to practice non-scientific ideological based modalities (e.g. prayer)? If so, you should have your license pulled.

It's about time intelligent minded people pulled together fight against the crap that people are calling "medicine."

Last edited:
What does maintaining Christian values have to do with things like homeopathy? How can you even make that comparison? You may notice that Loma Linda does not train chiropractors, naturopaths, or anything else. I'll reiterate that a lot of the medical instructors there aren't even Christians. Just because the administration is Christian doesn't mean that your education is going to be contaminated by a bunch of unscientific woo.

Reactions: 1 users
I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the OP is asking if any of this schools will show a preference towards christian students. MAYBE loma linda alone, but I am sure it isn't going to be enough to make up for mediocre stats.

What does maintaining Christian values have to do with things like homeopathy? How can you even make that comparison? You may notice that Loma Linda does not train chiropractors, naturopaths, or anything else. I'll reiterate that a lot of the medical instructors there aren't even Christians. Just because the administration is Christian doesn't mean that your education is going to be contaminated by a bunch of unscientific woo.

Christian values like putting homosexuals to death? The idea that there is a soul outside the physical brain? I'm sure that would be an interesting neurology program. Christian values are just personal values backed by cherry picked quotes from the Bible.

Please tell me specifically which Christian values you are talking about?

That's very false. Take an old testament class before repeating these rash assumptions just because you read them on some atheist forum or something.

I've spent several years at a Christian school and studied the Bible intensely. I still read it on a regular basis. Please tell me what I said that was false?

OK last thing I'll say on the "religious debate."

You claimed that putting homosexuals to death is a Christian value. If you had taken real OT classes, you would know that the verse containing that command is a part f the Law. And the Law is a Jewish, not Christian, thing. After Jesus died and was resurrected, the Law (which was intended to keep the Jews cleansed from
sin) was unnecessary for Christians. Christians, if they know what they're talking about (which not all do, obviously - you will meet some who stick to verses like this and it is sad and I amnot defending them for it) do not include these in their Christian values.

As an aside - I don't agree with anything anti-homosexual at all, I was just expressing the Biblical perspective which was, remember, written in a much ifferent time and culture.

I am VERY familiar with this typical rationalization of the horrible things said in the old testament. But Jesus did not come nullify the old Law. Here is a quote from the holy text itself:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." Matthew 5:17

Christian values like putting homosexuals to death? The idea that there is a soul outside the physical brain? I'm sure that would be an interesting neurology program. Christian values are just personal values backed by cherry picked quotes from the Bible.

Please tell me specifically which Christian values you are talking about?

SDAs (the church organization behind Loma Linda) do not believe that there is a soul outside the physical brain. Many Christian denominations do believe this, but SDAs don't. And putting homosexuals to death isn't exactly taught or practiced anywhere in the US that I'm aware of!

I'm talking about values like respecting each other, doing onto others..., etc. Christianity is about your character, not about condemning other people. That's not something you learn on the internet, though.

I think you'll find that all LCME accredited medical schools will provide you with a very similar education given that this is a part of the accreditation requirement. You will still learn about all the same disease processes and treatments as students at other institutions.

While I attend a state medical school, I did interview at several Jesuit institutions. When I was speaking with the dean of one, I asked what influence the Jesuit sponsorship would have on my education. She told me that it really comes down to the mission of the school. Religious schools tend to focus on treating the underserved populations.

In my 3rd year of medical school , I rotated through several Catholic hospitals(reminder, I go to a state medical school, so you can still encounter this even if you don't go to a Jesuit medical school). There were some differences. A prayer played over the PA at the nurses stations in the morning. Some people worked through it, some people paused. No big deal either way. Oral contraceptive pills could not be distributed without a medical reason and tubal ligations could not be performed at those institutions. I never encountered a situation where someone desired to terminate a pregnancy, but I assume that was out as well.

In general... these have a pretty minimal impact on your medical education experience.

SDAs (the church organization behind Loma Linda) do not believe that there is a soul outside the physical brain. Many Christian denominations do believe this, but SDAs don't. And putting homosexuals to death isn't exactly taught or practiced anywhere in the US that I'm aware of!

It's not taught and that's my point. The term "Christian values" is mostly meaningless because people don't abide by all Christian values - just the ones they are comfortable with. As an atheist, I share the same values as most Christians. But I certainly do not share all the values represented in the Bible's they carry.

I'm talking about values like respecting each other, doing onto others..., etc.

These are not just Christian values - everyone would agree to this. It's like a politician saying "I'm for literacy in America." Of course s/he is, who wouldn't be? What separates Christian values beyond principles people must maintain to sustain a stable society?

I know Baylor is a christian school, but seeing as the med school is so far from the undergrad it wouldn't surprise me if the med school is almost completely unrelated to the undergrad.

Also to the OP, if your looking for christian support at med school I think you will be able to find it almost anywhere. There are tons of student organizations and in general i think there are a lot more christian MD's than there would have been christian PhD's at undergrad.

Stop feeding the troll, guys. I'm not a Christian, but in any case I think this topic has veered way off course.

Ok seriously. Nobody in this thread cares what constitutes christian values. Take that to another thread. You guys bitching about christianity is annoying. There is a thread about religion in the all students forum. Go there.

Gosh, how wonderful would that be? :smuggrin:

It's not taught and that's my point. The term "Christian values" is mostly meaningless because people don't abide by all Christian values - just the ones they are comfortable with. As an atheist, I share the same values as most Christians. But I certainly do not share all the values represented in the Bible's they carry.

These are not just Christian values - everyone would agree to this. It's like a politician saying "I'm for literacy in America." Of course s/he is, who wouldn't be? What separates Christian values beyond principles people must maintain to sustain a stable society?

How many doctors do you know who are arrogant pricks? I know several.

Loma Linda is a bastion for intelligent design creationists. Forget about medical applications of evolutionary biology. What's important to understand is that Eve was approached in the Garden of Eden by a talking snake. Your future patients will appreciate your knowledge of this Biblical, and therefore factual, occurrence.

Oh really? You all don't take ethics at regular medical schools? Well that IS a frightening concept. The religion classes are the equivalent to "medical ethics" at other universities. Yes they do integrate religion into their medical ethics discussion. It is a Christian University but honestly you act as if Loma Linda graduates are not good physicians and can't interact with non Christian patients.

That is definitely why one of the team orthopedic consultants for the Dodgers and Lakers went to Loma Linda... because L.A. Athletes are known for being such devote Christians

is this true?

Are you talking about medical schools that teach creationism over evolution? No, I dont think there is such a school.

………………….._,,-~’’’¯¯¯’’~-,,I used to be a priest.
………………..,-‘’ ; ; ;_,,---,,_ ; ;’’-,…………………………….._,,,---,,_
……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,,,,---~~’’’’’’~--,,,_…..,,-~’’ ; ; ; ;__;’-,
……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , _,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’~’-,,_ ,,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’,
……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |
…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘
………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,,-‘
………………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’
………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’¯: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,
……………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : :| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’¯: ¯’’-, ; ; ;’,
…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,_: : _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : :| ; ; ; |
……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ : :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|
…………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-~’’ , , , , ,,,-~~-, , , , _ ; ; ;¯¯ ; ; ; ; ;|
..…………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~---~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
…….,-‘’ ; _, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,,,,--~~’’’¯’’’~-,,_ , ,_,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,_ ; ‘-,
……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~--‘’’
………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,,,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,
……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,_ ; ; ; _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯¯’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,
……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,
…..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|..’-,_ ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’
…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,,,,,--~~’’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…..,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-
…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; _,,-‘’
….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’~~’’¯
…..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;_,,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’’~-,,_ ; ; ; ; _,,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
………..| ; ; ;¯¯’’’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘
………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…………| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
…………’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ~-,,___ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘….’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
………..,’ ‘- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’……….’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
……….,’ ; ;’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-‘…………….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’…………………’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
……..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-‘………………………’’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…………………………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’………………………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’’
……..| ; ; ; ; ; ;,’……………………….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
……..’,_ , ; , ;,’……………………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘
………’,,’,¯,’,’’|……………………….| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘--,,
………….¯…’’………………………..’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~,,
……………………………………………’’-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’~-,,
………………………………………………..’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ,,_ ; ;’-,’’-,
…………………………………………………..’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,__,\\--\\.
……………………………………………………’-, ; ; ;,,-~’’’ \\ , ,|, |
………………………………………………………’’~-‘’_ , , ,,’,_/--‘

How many doctors do you know who are arrogant pricks? I know several.

So what? EVERY medical school teaches ethics be it from a Christian only perspective or from a more general perspective. People will be arrogant regardless of their religions.

I still hold that a school which teaches only a single religious perspective/tries to push it on you is garbage in the real world.

……………….,’ ; ; ;,-‘ , , , , , ‘-, ; ;’-,,,,---~~’’’’’’~--,,,_…..,,-~’’ ; ; ; ;__;’-,
……………….| ; ; ;,’ , , , _,,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯’’~’-,,_ ,,-~’’ , , ‘, ;’,
……………….’, ; ; ‘-, ,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-, , , , , ,’ ; |
…………………’, ; ;,’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-, , ,-‘ ;,-‘
………………….,’-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-‘ ;,,-‘
………………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;__ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,’
………………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘’¯: : ’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _ ; ; ; ; ;’,
……………..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;| : : : : : :| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’¯: ¯’’-, ; ; ;’,
…………….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,_: : _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | : : : : : :| ; ; ; |
……………,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’-,,_ : :,-‘ ; ; ; ;|
…………..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-~’’ , , , , ,,,-~~-, , , , _ ; ; ;¯¯ ; ; ; ; ;|
..…………,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ , , , , , , ,( : : : : , , , ,’’-, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
……….,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’, , , , , , , , ,’~---~’’ , , , , , ,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’,
…….,-‘’ ; _, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’~-,,,,--~~’’’¯’’’~-,,_ , ,_,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,-‘’-~’’,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; | . . . . . . ,’; ,’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,_ ; ‘-,
……….,’ ; ;,-, ; ;, ; ; ;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ;’, . . . . .,’ ;,’ ; ; ; ;, ; ; ;,’-, ; ;,’ ‘’~--‘’’
………,’-~’ ,-‘-~’’ ‘, ,-‘ ‘, ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ‘~-,,,-‘’ ; ,’ ; ; ; ; ‘, ;,-‘’ ; ‘, ,-‘,
……….,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ‘’ ; ; ;’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘’-,,_ ; ; ; _,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ;’-‘’ ; ; ; ‘’ ; ;’-,
……..,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯¯’’¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’’-,
……,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘-,
…..,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|..’-,_ ; ; ; , ; ; ; ; ; ‘,
….,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; | ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’’,-~’ ; ; ; ; ; ,’
…,’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;’~-,,,,,--~~’’’’’’~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…..,-~’’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-
…| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ‘, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-‘
…’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,’….’, ; ; ; ; _,,-‘’
….’, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-‘’ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,’…….’’~~’’¯

lulz, aware.

Oh really? You all don't take ethics at regular medical schools? Well that IS a frightening concept. The religion classes are the equivalent to "medical ethics" at other universities. Yes they do integrate religion into their medical ethics discussion. It is a Christian University but honestly you act as if Loma Linda graduates are not good physicians and can't interact with non Christian patients.

That is definitely why one of the team orthopedic consultants for the Dodgers and Lakers went to Loma Linda... because L.A. Athletes are known for being such devote Christians

Do they teach intelligent design? If so I still have no respect for them.

You guys have something against intelligent design? Are you saying we got here by ACCIDENT? I think it's much more likely God poofed everything into existence. :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

Loma Linda is an excellent medical school. As a future buckeye, you may want to know that we pride ourselves by being open minded. Hell, I'm probably biased, but I can't think of a population of medical students who could possibly be MORE open minded than Ohio State's med students. That is definitely something you may want to keep in mind as you start med1.

Are D.O. schools any less because they devote time to OMM (assuming you don't agree with it?). Is Ohio State any less because we sometimes have these weird ass professors who go on one tangent after another to talk about protein 33423hk43344jkdj that they are currently researching?

There's plenty of space in every medical curriculum to teach students about something that may be central to their lives. If religion is what will get them through 18 hours of studying, or 30 hour shifts in residency, so be it. You have your ways, and they have their ways.

People who consider religion/christianity as something central to them might thrive better in an environment where everyone around them feels the same way about religion. Can YOU imagine being able to thrive in Loma Linda where everyone around you is so into religion? Based on your posts, I think you'd go nuts! I know I would. Now, put yourself in their shoes. That is why they seek a culture that is similar to them. You'll see how much it matters that you "belong" once you start medical school.

Sorry if I'm singling you out. I felt it was necessary since you're now one of us :D:D

I still hold that a school which teaches only a single religious perspective/tries to push it on you is garbage in the real world.

Have you been to Loma Linda? I'm pretty sure nobody is standing around you yelling, "CONVERT! CONVERT!" Every school teaches from some sort of perspective. If you don't like the perspective at one school, you go somewhere else that's a better fit for you. Around here Loma Linda is well-respected for producing quality physicians! Just because they have a Christian influence doesn't mean they brainwash their students into becoming mindless evangelistic *****s.

Haha not the point you were making I am sure but I jumped straight to:
"Exit pursued by a bear" Best stage direction ever :)

Mute98: Unless things have changed drastically (which I am 98% sure they haven't) yes it is true. The kids that go to Loma are still normal young adults. Some make the decision to abide by the lifestyle policy but some don't.

Absolutely.

I just got my class schedule from Loma Linda for next fall. From an accredited medical school, I'm taking the obvious 8+ 500 level medical classes taught at typical med schools. My grandfather teaches the one 'religion' class, and it is basically the equivalent to any other school's medical ethics class... and that compared to the medical classes it is a cake walk, not taking any time away from other necessary classes.

I'm not here to tell you I'm right and you're wrong in regards to religion, but Loma Linda is just like any other med school as far as the learning process and knowledge involved. If you don't like the atmosphere, you don't have to attend. Just know I might have to save your ass someday and I'm gonna be fully prepared to do so. I'm proud to be attending Loma Linda.

Hey me too! Go open-minded buckeyes!

Oh Buckeyes! I appreciate you even if your team beat my team in the first round of the CCHA playoffs this year :( But the campus was amazing. One of these days I am going to have to get down there and see a game in the big rink. I have heard it is pretty awesome.