Christian Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Loma Linda is an excellent medical school. As a future buckeye, you may want to know that we pride ourselves by being open minded. Hell, I'm probably biased, but I can't think of a population of medical students who could possibly be MORE open minded than Ohio State's med students. That is definitely something you may want to keep in mind as you start med1.

Are D.O. schools any less because they devote time to OMM (assuming you don't agree with it?). Is Ohio State any less because we sometimes have these weird ass professors who go on one tangent after another to talk about protein 33423hk43344jkdj that they are currently researching?

There's plenty of space in every medical curriculum to teach students about something that may be central to their lives. If religion is what will get them through 18 hours of studying, or 30 hour shifts in residency, so be it. You have your ways, and they have their ways.

People who consider religion/christianity as something central to them might thrive better in an environment where everyone around them feels the same way about religion. Can YOU imagine being able to thrive in Loma Linda where everyone around you is so into religion? Based on your posts, I think you'd go nuts! I know I would. Now, put yourself in their shoes. That is why they seek a culture that is similar to them. You'll see how much it matters that you "belong" once you start medical school.

Sorry if I'm singling you out. I felt it was necessary since you're now one of us :D:D

+1

If I wasn't attending LLU, I would be going to OSU (or maybe UC). I'm from Ohio and I love Buckeye football :)

Members don't see this ad.

Loma Linda is an excellent medical school. As a future buckeye, you may want to know that we pride ourselves by being open minded. Hell, I'm probably biased, but I can't think of a population of medical students who could possibly be MORE open minded than Ohio State's med students. That is definitely something you may want to keep in mind as you start med1.

I don't need lectures from you on being open-minded. Like most other people, I have opinions about religion, and on this somewhat anonymous Internet message board, I'm not going to hesitate to express them. If you're under the impression that my attitude here is the same one that I exercise toward my peers in school, then your assumption is wrong. If I had an arrogant or condescending attitude in person, then I probably wouldn't have been accepted by OSU in the first place. So might I suggest to you that, in the future, give your fellow "SDNers" a little more credit. I don't typically argue with people in person.

Are D.O. schools any less because they devote time to OMM (assuming you don't agree with it?). Is Ohio State any less because we sometimes have these weird ass professors who go on one tangent after another to talk about protein 33423hk43344jkdj that they are currently researching?

I disagree that OMM or biochemistry is analogous to religion.

There's plenty of space in every medical curriculum to teach students about something that may be central to their lives. If religion is what will get them through 18 hours of studying, or 30 hour shifts in residency, so be it. You have your ways, and they have their ways.

No, there really isn't. A typical secular medical school curriculum is already crammed full of information. There isn't any space for extra classes about religion. The only reasonable way to integrate religion into the curriculum at a "Christian" school would be to incorporate it into ethical discussions (like a previous poster suggested). I don't have a problem with that from an educational standpoint. I would only be concerned if scientific aspects of the traditional medical curriculum were being supplanted by religious studies, which is something that I could see Christian educators doing. After all, they have fought tooth-and-nail to introduce intelligent design into high school science classrooms at the expense of learning scientific material (since time spent on intelligent design is time not spent on scientific material).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
eeekk, sorry for causing such a debate! honestly, I was just curious!

^haha... it's not your fault SDN has a bunch of argumentative, intense, type-A personalities! It's just how it is.

Don't worry about it... they'll get over it. Sorry your thread got hijacked so soon!

^haha... it's not your fault SDN has a bunch of argumentative, intense, type-A personalities! It's just how it is.

Don't worry about it... they'll get over it. Sorry your thread got hijacked so soon!

I don't get offended when people insinuate I'm going to be a bad doctor based on going to a religious medical school. I have nothing to defend. Those people just can't see past differences in opinion. :)