Christian Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eg77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from previous threads and research I understand that there are 4 Jesuit med schools: Loyola, St Louis, Georgetown, and Creighton. There is one 7th Adventist: Loma Linda. Does anyone know if there are any med schools that have Christian affiliation (protestant to be specific)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that there are any protestant schools (in the U.S., at least)

Members don't see this ad :)
eg77 said:
So from previous threads and research I understand that there are 4 Jesuit med schools: Loyola, St Louis, Georgetown, and Creighton. There is one 7th Adventist: Loma Linda. Does anyone know if there are any med schools that have Christian affiliation (protestant to be specific)?

Since Protestants were the first invaders in the NAmerican continent, most of the oldest schools were Protestant in affiliation. That includes places like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, etc. However, since that is no longer in vogue, they have stripped themselves of such affiliation. I think Duke was Methodist, but is no longer, and that Baylor is Baptist, but is not religious in any practically relevant sense. Interestingly, the Catholic schools have resisted stripping this affiiation, and some (e.g. Georgetown), have shown that it is possible to maintain a religious affiliation and still be a very reputable school (maybe not for medicine, but certainly for other fields). Jewish schools have shown the same with Brandeis and Yeshiva. In some ways, I am sad that the oldest, Protestant, schools, have removed this affiliation, but that's the way it is.

Baylor University still has strong ties to the Baptist General Convention of Texas. However, Baylor Med has not been associated with Baylor University since the 1960s. I think Baylor U's president has a seat on Baylor Med's Board of Trustees, but I highly doubt there is any influence exerted through that position. Baylor Med has no religious affliation, nominally or otherwise.

Thanks you guys for the informative responses. It's interisiting to know the history of all of this!

Most of the original universities are Congregationalist: Yale, Dartmouth, Harvard and Brown, as are many LAC's: Amherst, Bowdoin, Carleton, Grinnell, Oberlin, Pomona and Williams.

baylorshannon said:
Baylor University still has strong ties to the Baptist General Convention of Texas. However, Baylor Med has not been associated with Baylor University since the 1960s. I think Baylor U's president has a seat on Baylor Med's Board of Trustees, but I highly doubt there is any influence exerted through that position. Baylor Med has no religious affliation, nominally or otherwise.

Correct

Yes, I know I am correct. Thanks....

Many years ago

There was Oral roberts medical school.

medhacker said:
Many years ago

There was Oral roberts medical school.

orthodontistry?

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

eg77 said:
Emory university is methodist affliated (not strongly though) and Mercer is baptist affiliated. At their undergrad they actually give you a scholarship if you're baptist, but I don't know if it pervades everyday life.