Christmas Gifts 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What "big" gifts are you giving or receiving this Christmas? Of course, I understand it may be a suprise until December 25th.;)

Members don't see this ad.

1.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
self-defense-22-magnum-b.jpg

Can you believe Smith and Wesson doesn't even give you a nice plastic container any longer? You get a 30 cent box now with this gun.:thumbdown:

This is the lightest gun in the Blade household. Under 11 ounces.

Last edited:
Lately I've developed a taste for revovlers by Smith and Wesson or Ruger. No other brands will work for me and Santa knows I like my revolvers made in the USA.

Last edited:
My wife bought this (300 AAC Blackout) for me. It will be getting a hand guard and flash suppressor upgrade once it arrives.
ZFyjB.jpg

It should go nicely with this (sent the Form 4 last month):
04Uia.jpg

I got her this:
HbTPg.jpg

I have no idea what to get my wife.... and her bday is the 24th. :(

Went outside to the range a couple of weeks ago. She was really happy shooting an AK and AR-15.... but if I get her a weapon then I'm afraid she will think it's for me.

+ I don't have time to wait for the 14" barrel. (thx pgg).

Suggestions?

My backup is a vaca trip...

I have no idea what to get my wife.... and her bday is the 24th. :(

Went outside to the range a couple of weeks ago. She was really happy shooting an AK and AR-15.... but if I get her a weapon then I'm afraid she will think it's for me.

+ I don't have time to wait for the 14" barrel. (thx pgg).

Suggestions?

My backup is a vaca trip...

Can you contact her mom or sisters for suggestions? Sometimes they'll know.

Can you contact her mom or sisters for suggestions? Sometimes they'll know.

I wish. She's an only child... and my in-laws are CLUELESS!

I really, really, really want to make xmas speacial for her this year. She's a very sweet person with an amazing heart of gold. Most thoughtful and unselfish person I've ever met. She's always putting the needs and wishes of others infront of her own needs/wishes.... and she enjoys beeing that way.

I've already milked the spa days... and I'm no good at picking clothes for her. I just upgraded her trucks audio system, so that's out... She doesn't wear watches either...

She wants an IPAD 3... but that isn't coming out for a while.... and I hate rain checks.

I wish. She's an only child... and my in-laws are CLUELESS!

I really, really, really want to make xmas speacial for her this year. She's a very sweet person with an amazing heart of gold. Most thoughtful and unselfish person I've ever met. She's always putting the needs and wishes of others infront of her own needs/wishes.... and she enjoys beeing that way.

I've already milked the spa days... and I'm no good at picking clothes for her. I just upgraded her trucks audio system, so that's out... She doesn't wear watches either...

She wants an IPAD 3... but that isn't coming out for a while.... and I hate rain checks.

You can never go wrong with Platinum and jewels.:thumbup:
I'm not a big fan of diamonds myself, but there are plenty of expensive colored rocks to choose from. My wife just ordered a new car, so this year she's getting a very romantic bluetooth keyboard for her iPad. It's what she asked for, and besides, she has plenty of pretty colored rocks.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping for

AAkit1.jpg

.22 glock conversion

or

topgun.jpg

a few cases of this

This is great. Under the guise of Christmas spirt, we managed to produce another gun thread.

:laugh:

No, not really. These are the actual gifts for Christmas 2011. I'm looking for other ideas as well. I got her a nice Video camcorder.

She likes gift cards to Target, Bed Bath and Beyond and Bath and Body Werks.

I was planning on buying 5 ounce Silver Coins from the U.S. mint this year. The dealers scooped up every single 5 ounce coin and doubled/tripled the price (based on the value of silver).

I guess they are doing some serious buying of Platinum U.S. coins as well.

My wife bought this (300 AAC Blackout) for me. It will be getting a hand guard and flash suppressor upgrade once it arrives.

It should go nicely with this (sent the Form 4 last month):

What a coincidence :) my wife's getting me a 10" 300 Blackout upper for Christmas.

Unfortunately I'm crippled by California laws ... so the registered SBR lowers have to stay in Arizona. I have a maglocked AR pistol lower on order so I can shoot it here. Have a pile of reloading components for it, to make some sub and super sonic ammo ... but the dies are still on backorder, so I probably won't get to shoot it until January sometime.

Is that an AAC 762 suppressor? I've got a Surefire FA762K (also kept in Arizona) which kicks all kinds of ass. Just did Form 4s for an AAC Tirant 9, and a Surefire Mini last week. NFA disease is much worse than black rifle disease.

Word is that Form 4s are running 5-6 months now. Sucks.

This is great. Under the guise of Christmas spirt, we managed to produce another gun thread.

You know it ... :D

Non-firearm related gifts for our kids ... snowboard, drum cymbals, xbox360, games, netbook, girly stuff for the girl picked by my wife, winter stuff for our first trip to the mountains this year (Jan 2 ... late start).

Rawhide bones for the dogs. They're easy to please.

We did some house remodeling stuff recently that my wife said "this'll be my Christmas present" but of course that won't do, so I'm trying to figure out what I might get her for the day. Coming up on 15 years with her, I'm sort of running out of creative, unique, meaningful stuff to give her.

Jewelry is a Dec 23rd kind of desperate gift buy. Of course she likes jewelry, but it's boring and an admission that I couldn't think up anything more interesting.

To bring this post full circle to firearms, last year one of the things I got her was a nice purse with a built in holster for her Sig.

I was planning on buying 5 ounce Silver Coins from the U.S. mint this year. The dealers scooped up every single 5 ounce coin and doubled/tripled the price (based on the value of silver).

I guess they are doing some serious buying of Platinum U.S. coins as well.

I haven't bought any PMs lately, but I'm not a big fan of buying coins for their numismatic or collector values. The closer I can get to melt, the better. The exception I make is for US American Eagle 1 oz coins, I figure the little extra over spot is likely to be recovered when sold. Bars are good too, usually a lot closer to spot.

I wouldn't ever touch anything at 2x or 3x spot, that's just nuts.

I haven't bought any PMs lately, but I'm not a big fan of buying coins for their numismatic or collector values. The closer I can get to melt, the better. The exception I make is for US American Eagle 1 oz coins, I figure the little extra over spot is likely to be recovered when sold. Bars are good too, usually a lot closer to spot.

I wouldn't ever touch anything at 2x or 3x spot, that's just nuts.

I agree with you. Gold at Spot or Platinum at Spot. I do pay extra for US minted coins as you will get some of that back when you sell.

PGG, take care of the family as that's the most important thing. Enjoy your trip to the mountains.

Many women aren't into guns including my wife. She has trouble working the slide on semi-autos and I'd rather keep it simple for her which means a nice, lightweight revolver that goes bang ever time she pulls the trigger.

Smith and Wesson makes a lot of small, lightweight, carry revolvers.

What a coincidence :) my wife's getting me a 10" 300 Blackout upper for Christmas.

It certainly solves my semi auto suppressed 30 cal issue. And it is a great excuse to buy more cartridge components. I got the 125 gr Sierra OTMs and I'm also going to try some 225 gr Hornady BTHP for subsonics. I've heard of people going as high as 240gr. It is pretty funny when the bullet is longer than case.

The cartridge seems made to order for a suppressed SBR. Sadly those aren't legal here yet.

Is that an AAC 762 suppressor?

It is. In retrospect, I should have gone with the 762SDN6. Once my dealer submitted the paperwork to get it, I was kind of stuck. I'm also getting an Osprey .45 and a Sparrow. I suspect I will see them in April, at best.

Word is that Form 4s are running 5-6 months now. Sucks.

It is killing me. NFAtracker suggests that my examiner is the slowest of the bunch. I expect even greater delays as there are a rush of Form 4s going out, now that suppressors are legal in my state.

I know a guy in Ohio who loves his TI rant 9. He has it on a 9mm AR shooting 147 gr bullet and the damn thing won't even trigger a shot timer.

NFA disease is much worse than black rifle disease.

It is. I don't even have my first group and I'm already thinking about the next one. I'm thinking suppressed 12 gauge. There is a company near my that will do it. My wife is not amused, however.

Last edited:
Many women aren't into guns including my wife. She has trouble working the slide on semi-autos and I'd rather keep it simple for her which means a nice, lightweight revolver that goes bang ever time she pulls the trigger.

Smith and Wesson makes a lot of small, lightweight, carry revolvers.

My wife can work the semi-autos but prefers a revolver. She has basically claimed by SW686+. She didn't like the double action trigger much, but it turns out they are super easy to do trigger work on. I swapped out the hammer strut and trigger spring for lighter versions in under an hour without much of clue of what I was doing. It makes quite a difference. My brother did the same on his Ruger GP-100 and said it was cake.

My wife can work the semi-autos but prefers a revolver. She has basically claimed by SW686+. She didn't like the double action trigger much, but it turns out they are super easy to do trigger work on. I swapped out the hammer strut and trigger spring for lighter versions in under an hour without much of clue of what I was doing. It makes quite a difference. My brother did the same on his Ruger GP-100 and said it was cake.

686plus? Those are quite heavy for CCW. Ditto for the GP100s. Remember, my X-Mas gift is a Ruger GP100 3" in SS to go with my other GP100s. ( I also own a 686 plus in SS).

I went with a 22 Magnum which holds 7 rounds. It weighs 10.8 ounces. Trigger is heavy though because it is rimfire. The gun feels like a "toy" because of the weight but it is very much a real weapon with those 22 magnum rounds. In addition, recoil is minimal because it is a 22.

IMHO, Ruger LCR is the best bang for the buck at 14 ounces. I own several J frames but the Ruger has a much smoother trigger and feels better balanced. That said, the Ruger is NOT meant for much range use or action. It is strictly back-up. (reported issues of frame meltage from hot reload ammo).

Before any comments on the 22 Magnum load remember it is better to have a gun when needed then no gun at all. For my wife this means a 22 magnum or her "bigger" SW637. (after 12/25 when she opens the boxes).

It certainly solves my semi auto suppressed 30 cal issue. And it is a great excuse to buy more cartridge components. I got the 125 gr Sierra OTMs and I'm also going to try some 225 gr Hornady BTHP for subsonics. I've heard of people going as high as 240gr. It is pretty funny when the bullet is longer than case.

I have some 110 vmax, 208 amax, and 220 sierras for starters ... going to try H110 for the supers and A1680 for the subs first since that's what AAC suggests.

It is. In retrospect, I should have gone with the 762SDN6. Once my dealer submitted the paperwork to get it, I was kind of stuck. I'm also getting an Osprey .45 and a Sparrow. I suspect I will see them in April, at best.

I went with the Surefire line of rifle cans mainly because of the QD mounting system. They don't seem to perform any better than the competition, and cost more ... but the mount is the best out there. The FA762K was the first, because it'll mount to their 5.56 muzzle devices. We've had it out on our AR10s, AR15s, and a FNAR. Not quite hearing safe, but a world of difference. People love the AAC 762 cans.

I have an Osprey .45 ... still sitting at the dealer. Bought it through a group buy in Oct of 2010. Took them months to get the orders in. Finally hit our dealer in June. Form 4 submitted then, still pending. We put through two SBR form 4s in July, and picked those up a couple weeks ago. I don't know what the deal with the Osprey delay is. 14 months since I bought the thing, still don't have it. Hoping for any day now ...

You'll love the Sparrow; my brother liked mine so much he just got one for himself. The new stainless steel version is rated for 5.7 too. He's currently the custodian of all my NFA stuff (did I mention Calfornia gun laws suck?), but eventually I'll be in a free state and will want them back ... and he now can't imagine ever shooting his .22s or 5.7 without it.

It is killing me. NFAtracker suggests that my examiner is the slowest of the bunch. I expect even greater delays as there are a rush of Form 4s going out, now that suppressors are legal in my state.

I know a guy in Ohio who loves his TI rant 9. He has it on a 9mm AR shooting 147 gr bullet and the damn thing won't even trigger a shot timer.

:D

I think there's a 9mm carbine in my future too.

It is. I don't even have my first group and I'm already thinking about the next one. I'm thinking suppressed 12 gauge. There is a company near my that will do it. My wife is not amused, however.

Tell her that guns are loud and hurt your ears.

Will that suppressed 12g just be for slugs, or will shot be OK? What kind of dB reduction do they get? Only shotgun cans I've seen outside the movies was that TV show about the Louisiana gun shop, Red Jacket or something, and it's hard to know how seriously to take those guys.

686plus? Those are quite heavy for CCW. Ditto for the GP100s.

I agree. I'm encouraging her to get a permit. Once she has that, I'm going to see what she thinks of the Ruger SP101 (2" barrel, spurless). I suspect that with a trigger job, it will be her go to. I know the SP101 is a touch on the heavy side, but I want something she will practice with and can manage a magnum/reduced recoil magnum load if necessary. Plus, her dad has an SP101.

Before any comments on the 22 Magnum load remember it is better to have a gun when needed then no gun at all.

I completely agree. The newer short barrel 22WMR ammo may help.

I don't know what the deal with the Osprey delay is. 14 months since I bought the thing, still don't have it. Hoping for any day now ...

Good luck with getting that soon. As much as I want to shoot Blackout, I really want to shoot my .45 muffled.

Will that suppressed 12g just be for slugs, or will shot be OK? What kind of dB reduction do they get? Only shotgun cans I've seen outside the movies was that TV show about the Louisiana gun shop, Red Jacket or something, and it's hard to know how seriously to take those guys.

I'd like it for shot, since we can't yet hunt with suppressors. Suppressed shotguns are available in the UK, but fairly rare in the US. I have no idea how much noise reduction I'd get, but I doubt it is close to as good as the top end rifle cans.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/supressors/product/shotgun-suppressor

These guys do one and are within a few hours of me. When I'm actually serious about it, I figure I'll give them all call. I've spent enough on acquiring suppressors recently that I'm being forced to take a break. I still have to get a new barrel fit and threaded for my .45 and one of my .22s turned down and threaded.

I agree. I'm encouraging her to get a permit. Once she has that, I'm going to see what she thinks of the Ruger SP101 (2" barrel, spurless). I suspect that with a trigger job, it will be her go to. I know the SP101 is a touch on the heavy side, but I want something she will practice with and can manage a magnum/reduced recoil magnum load if necessary. Plus, her dad has an SP101.

I completely agree. The newer short barrel 22WMR ammo may help.

New 22 WMR Ammo for Short Barrels
ri

Hornady and Speer now list 22 WMR ammo specifically for short barrel guns.

Hornady's 45 gr Critical Defense claims 1,000 fps from a 1 7/8" barrel and 100 fpe.

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-...itical-Defense

Speer's 40 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection claims 1,150 fps from a 2" barrel and 99 fpe.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm

I've always preferred the FMJ loads in the 22 WMR from the small revolvers.

But, I'm glad to see new 22 WMR ammo that gives a little more velocity from pistols.

Blade:

I have to go with Bertleman on this one.

It looks to me like we went guns, but we did not go all the way to survivalism / economic dooms-day ism so on that we should be congratulated.:) And Jet didn't drop by to talk about his plans yet...

Maybe we could challenge each other to represent our faith a little better and make a donation in our loved ones name to an important cause. I can think of a few ?

New 22 WMR Ammo for Short Barrels
ri

Hornady and Speer now list 22 WMR ammo specifically for short barrel guns.

Hornady's 45 gr Critical Defense claims 1,000 fps from a 1 7/8" barrel and 100 fpe.

http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-...itical-Defense

Speer's 40 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection claims 1,150 fps from a 2" barrel and 99 fpe.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/954.htm

I've always preferred the FMJ loads in the 22 WMR from the small revolvers.

But, I'm glad to see new 22 WMR ammo that gives a little more velocity from pistols.

Blade:

I have to go with Bertleman on this one.

It looks to me like we went guns, but we did not go all the way to survivalism / economic dooms-day ism so on that we should be congratulated.:) And Jet didn't drop by to talk about his plans yet...

Maybe we could challenge each other to represent our faith a little better and make a donation in our loved ones name to an important cause. I can think of a few ?

First, I agree with you. Charity and Love are what defines the Christmas season.
I'll be donating to local charities incl. a food bank.

Second, Guns are my hobby. I want my wife to engage in that hobby with me. I got her a few small caliber revolvers.

Third, for thousands of years mankind has been using Gold and Silver as currency. Paper currency is a modern invention by governments to manipulate economies. The U.S. Dollar is being debased and like Ron Paul points out "is becoming worthless."
Do yourself a favor and get a 1 ounce gold coin this Christmas.

Fourth, I'd like to read any interesting ideas for gifts this Christmas season. I got my kids computers, video games, watches, etc. But, what they really need is FAITH and GOD in their lives.

Fifth, if you have a Christmas tree in your home remember the reason for the season isn't a new toy or piece of jewelry; that stuff is temporary anyway.

Peace,
Blade

Christmas Facts

Each year, 30-35 million real Christmas trees are sold in the United States alone. There are 21,000 Christmas tree growers in the United States, and trees usually grow for about 15 years before they are sold.
Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger.
In the Middle Ages, Christmas celebrations were rowdy and raucous—a lot like today's Mardi Gras parties.
From 1659 to 1681, the celebration of Christmas was outlawed in Boston, and law-breakers were fined five shillings.
Christmas wasn't a holiday in early America—in fact Congress was in session on December 25, 1789, the country's first Christmas under the new constitution.
Christmas was declared a federal holiday in the United States on June 26, 1870.
The first eggnog made in the United States was consumed in Captain John Smith's 1607 Jamestown settlement.
Poinsettia plants are named after Joel R. Poinsett, an American minister to Mexico, who brought the red-and-green plant from Mexico to America in 1828.
The Salvation Army has been sending Santa Claus-clad donation collectors into the streets since the 1890s.
Rudolph, "the most famous reindeer of all," was the product of Robert L. May's imagination in 1939. The copywriter wrote a poem about the reindeer to help lure customers into the Montgomery Ward department store.
Construction workers started the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree tradition in 1931.

and make a donation in our loved ones name to an important cause. I can think of a few ?

This is a good point. I'd argue that donations should be kept local. Around me, there is a very excellent food bank and we make a point to make large cash donation to them at least twice a year. Also, keep in mind that food banks can do way more with your cash than with donations of food. They can actually get 5-10 times more food than you can with the same money.

Trying to buy the wife a honeymoon for the wedding we had 2 months ago. Tough to do on a resident's budget. Any suggestions?

yeah. wait.
I waited till I was an attending and did it properly.
It makes a huge difference.

I tell most of my friends to do the honeymoon much later. You're too busy and tired after planning and going through a wedding. . . and as a resident, you're pretty broke too.
Go on a post-wedding "vacation." It's still a honeymoon, but if you don't call it that, you don't feel the need to go so big on the scale of the trip.

Oh, also, anytime in the future the two of you go on a trip somewhere fun, tell everyone it's your honeymoon. Everybody loves you and you get bumped up everywhere you go.

Yeah this "honeymoon" isn't going to be anything elaborate. We just want to get away for 5 days and go somewhere warm and sunny with a beach. Thanks for the great idea C.P. I will definitely use that when we travel. I mentioned I was on my honeymoon today to the OR coordinator hoping to get bumped up to a great room. Sadly, it didn't work and I was stuck at work late. Guess it only works at hotels and airlines???

We own an Italian restaurant, so gifts generally consist of gift cards to the restaurant.