Gifts for letter writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dilaudid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys did for your letter writers? What type of gift do residents usually get attendings as thanks for a letter for a job or fellowship? A simple thank you card? A gift card or bottle of wine? I would like to get something nice but trying to decide what is appropriate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how good the letter is. I have always wondered if someone agrees to write letter of rec, does that automatically mean that person will draft a positive letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
huh? since when do residents give gifts to attendings to thank them for letters? did you see that on grey's anatomy? when i was a resident a sincere thank you was plenty, and a letter on down the road to tell the results of the match/job search was always appreciated. in my short time in academics no one ever gave me a "gift" to thank me for the multiple letters i wrote.

residents don't have enough dough to afford a nice bottle of wine in the league of attendings - that's cray-cray. just say thanks and continue to do the good job that got you a letter in the first place...

Reactions: 3 users
Never received a gift and never expected one.

Honestly, it wouldn't seem right accept a gift either.

I've gotten fancy candy bars and a few $10 Starbucks cards from residents and fellows for a job well done. One did give me a nice bottle of whisky, but she had some family money. As for letters or phone calls, etc., that's part of the job. "Thank you" is more than enough. It's your gift for a job well done.
Now if this one particular resident takes the 99th percentile income job I hooked him up with, he can send me a really nice bottle of single malt. ;)